Disneydoc's summer 2013 trip - live from The World!

Login to post comments
69 posts / 0 new

I am enjoying your report so much. I am getting so excited about my trip from reading your report and I still have 3 months to go!

disneydoc's picture

Day 5

Good morning from the Boardwalk! After a bit of a coffee debacle (somebody forgot to put the filter in the filter tray the first time) I have a good pot brewing over there. sarcastic

Yesterday was a blast! I got over to the MK around 9:30 (am shooting for rope drop on Sat) after a nice ride on a very prompt Disney bus. I do agree with you guys about that route - it would be nice not to stop at all those other resorts. It got crowded quickly! MK was busy, but I was still able to hit several of my favorites. My first task is always to snag a fast pass, and it is usually for Peter Pan. I know we are not all fans of the Pan, but it just says Disney magic to me. mickey

Then I surprisingly waited under 10 minutes for Small World, and the stand by line for Mermaids. Again, a short line (by Disney standards), and I had never waited in that cue - really fun stuff to see along the way. Note: there are also very few epic child meltdowns at 9:30 AM. awesome

The skies were endlessly blue from the time I got up until around noon, but then those afternoon clouds rolled on in. Florida. Love Florida in the summer, even with the heat. Under these clouds I gathered at the castle for the show, knowing that those clouds might prevent them from performing later (and they did!). Totally enjoyed the show, and I continue to appreciate the talented folks who flock to Disney to work. I love the dancing and choreography everywhere - the parades, shows, street performances. I try to explain this to non believers (you know, those people who think we are off our rockers for coming here AGAIN), but have decided that seeing is believing.

So after the castle, I had time to chill on the People Mover and catch Carousel before my Pan FP. Crowds are getting heavier by now, and if I did not have a purpose for hanging around, I would have so hopped the monorail back to sanity. But...that 2:30 ressie at the Plaza was still on the horizon, so I headed over to get more FPs - Pooh - and was awarded one to Mickey's Philharmonic (or is it Philharmagic?) too, for after my lunch time.

After strolling around a bit I thought I would try to get in to the Plaza about 30 mins early. Score! I really, really LOVE this little restaurant; you sit looking at the castle, the folks walking by (looking so tired), and I have seen the 3:00 parade on both of my visits right from my seat in the wing to the left of the front door. It must be a popular place, as I have never scored a ressie for anything earlier than 2:30 for lunch. But it is worth it in my opinion. Also a budget friendly table service option - my delicious grilled chicken strawberry salad was either $13 or $14, and the chicken was a large piece of "real" restaurant quality meat that is grilled fresh, and is not sitting under a lamp somewhere. I have discovered a few such table service values, and continue to explore! Sci Fi yesterday fits this category. Although I ate the whole thing (minus the croutons), this was the only full meal I had to eat all day. cool

So onward for Pooh and Philharmagic (?), then I thought I would try Haunted Mansion before leaving. Well that was a Goofy idea laugh and a no go, so I hopped the riverboat. As I came off the boat, as my southern grandma would say, "it cum up a big starm," and I took cover in Liberty Square. It began that whole thunder and lightning thing, shutting down all the shows and outdoor rides. The rain passed, but the thunder rumbled on.

So I strolled toward the exit, stopping at Starbucks for another decaf (my students give me SB gift cards, the sweet things). Then I called my friends Julie & Mike to update them on the state of The World. biggrin We were hoping to meet again at Epcot for some Billy Joel. Stopped at the Main Street flagpole hoping to see the ceremony, but they did not bring out the singers, band, or military corps as the proper time had not elapsed since the storms began. Sooooo.....Hit the monorail and enjoyed another ride to Epcot.

By the time I transferred monorails and arrived at Epcot, the storms were passing, and I heard no thunder. Great news for us!

Big ole crowds at the Epcot gate for the evening. Got a message from Julie that they were here, and called them back...they were in France, I was in Mexico, and America was in the middle! We met in line, and had yet another fun evening together listening to 2 sets of music.

Julie and Mike, my time with you has been the high point of this trip (OK, staying at the BWV runs a VERY close second). If you are new to this board, there are some wonderful folks here. You too just might make yourself some new lifelong friends. We sat there last night speculating that we will be occupying those Epcot concert seats years from now, like the front row crowd of regulars they tell me are there all the time. And Mike, I will NOT be approaching Pops on the front row. cool

We all 3 strolled out of Epcot to the BW, where we said goodbye for the evening. My buddies went for a date night dinner, and I positioned myself on the BW to watch the fireworks. I did not realize how nice those were - when I watch it in the park, I focus on that globe in the center. See, the World has endless perspectives! Tell that to the nonbelievers. Or not. It can be our little secret. awesome

So this AM? Lunch at the Brown Derby!!! Cobb salad, and Jo Ann, I am going to get a piece of that grapefruit cake to bring back to my villa for later.

Not sure about the rest so the AM yet, but I need an AM walk on the BW to decide. Later! mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Kristen K.'s picture

disneydoc wrote:
Day 5
So I strolled toward the exit, stopping at Starbucks for another decaf (my students give me SB gift cards, the sweet things). mickey

eek

Most licensed Starbucks locations (airports, overpasses, targets, Barnes & Noble, etc) don't take Starbucks cards for payment. Are you saying that at the Disney Starbucks you can pay with a Starbucks Gift card? Because that's kind of a huge deal to my family.

(I know, I know, we're all addicts what can I say.)

disneydoc's picture

Well, I take all the gift cards I get and load them on to my gold card. They have taken that. I reload it when needed. Don't know about gift cards, honestly. But, this card works like a gift card in that you can also reload a gift card. I will ask tomorrow when I am there and let you know!

We absolutely love meeting up with you, it's like we've been friends for years! Looking forward to Sunday night! Hurry up and retire so you can become a Florida resident! There's room in the home for us all, maybe we can get a group rate! wheelchair
Looking forward to meeting up with Mr. Hub and Scrappy too, although not so sure about the red speedo...we may be bailing you out of jail! But hey, how bad could Disney jail be?
Anyone else crazy enough to come down in the summer, let us know, we love to share the Disney magic with new friends! Our schedule is usually very flexible in the summer as Disney is our year round vacation, we don't really go anywhere else except the beach.
DD, I love reading your trip reports and your casual style. You have figured out how to really enjoy the wonders of Disney. This blog enhances our Disney experience and we've made great friends!

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

taratru's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
disneydoc wrote:
Day 5
So I strolled toward the exit, stopping at Starbucks for another decaf (my students give me SB gift cards, the sweet things). mickey

eek

Most licensed Starbucks locations (airports, overpasses, targets, Barnes & Noble, etc) don't take Starbucks cards for payment. Are you saying that at the Disney Starbucks you can pay with a Starbucks Gift card? Because that's kind of a huge deal to my family.

(I know, I know, we're all addicts what can I say.)

Barnes and Noble is the only place that won't take my gold card. I use it at Target, airports, pretty much everywhere. I put everything on my phone.

Kristen K.'s picture

taratru wrote:
Barnes and Noble is the only place that won't take my gold card. I use it at Target, airports, pretty much everywhere. I put everything on my phone.

Really?! I must admit it's been a few years since I've tried - I got tired of everyplace saying no! I wonder if they changed that when they developed the phone app? I have a Gold Card, but I haven't connected it to the pay with your phone service. Maybe I'll have to start experimenting with that again.

Magic Mirror's picture

Where do yiu get a Starbucks Gold Card?.. I'm an addict too!!

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
So this AM? Lunch at the Brown Derby!!! Cobb salad, and Jo Ann, I am going to get a piece of that grapefruit cake to bring back to my villa for later.

Can't wait to hear how you liked it

taratru's picture

Magic Mirror wrote:

You get a gift card, register it and then keep reloading it and paying with it. After you buy a certain amount (I think 30?), they upgrade you to "gold card" status. There used to be all kinds of great gigs with it - free syrups, soy - but now it's just free refills on coffee and tea during the same visit. Oh, and I get a lot of pretty good coupons for stuff.

I got the app for my phone and pay with my gold card through that. So much easier.

disneydoc's picture

Day 6

Another sunny AM at the BWV, with a little cloudy swirl in the mix. I know every day is not like this, but I sure have been lucky with these nice mornings. The afternoons, however have begun to fall into that summer storm pattern. Still carry that poncho, but have managed to just take cover thus far. Have not visited the pool for 2 days due to those storms, or because of an ADR.

The day began with one egg and a piece of toast ( did not want to be too full for my ressie at Brown Derby), and a walk around the BW to Epcot. I browsed through Mexico and rode the little boats. Then headed into Future World for my intended destination - Nemo and Turtle Talk (again, I know - I love those "Mine, Mine" seagulls. Reminds me of my kids. biggrin )

Crush was hilarious as usual. I always think about Walt saying that he wanted to make a place where parents and kids could have fun. He did it. The parents even come back without the kids! Wonder if he knew that would happen? mickey

Then I popped in for another swill of grapefruit soda at Club Cool, and ambled out of the park and over to the BWV to get a cold diet Dr. Pepper from my fridge for the walk over to HS. I have really started liking this park this year...I loved it during my Spring trip too. I will officially stop declaring that I do not like anything at Disney across the board, because I always change my mind.

My purpose was to eat a Cobb salad and get some grapefruit cake at my noon ressie. I got a FP for Toy Story just in case I wanted to come back tonight (the pass was 7:40-8:40!), and ended up watching the Citizens of Hollywood in a few different spots. They have changed up their acts a little, but still hilarious. I did not see my favorite one - "a **** walks into a bar" ....I wish I still taught middle school drama class - I would so use that as an improv exercise. laugh

Had another super great experience at the Derby. I just LOVE that place. Except for the very nice family near me with piercingly loud screaming infant, it was nice. I kinda don't get that - when my kiddos were young we only went to places like Prime Time, Teppan Edo, Biergarten or places that were Less fancy and more lively. This is why I am just now trying some of these shows and rides - my kiddos could not sit through them. Left my server a nice tip, as I am a cheap date (a $15 Cobb Salad, one piece of cake, and a pass holder discount too). cool

Walked around a little after, then enjoyed a walk back to BW to store the rest of the salad and my cake for later. Strolled the BW and walked around the Beach Club, found Beaches and Cream, and was obligated to get a scoop of coffee ice cream, as Ghiradellis no longer has it. I LOVE coffee ice cream. muchlove

Then I got a wild hair and hopped the bus at Beach Club for AK to see their parade. Nice ride, and walked right into another Lion King performance. Rode the safari again and saw lots of animals, although they seem to be more active in the evening (and probably AM too).

Time for a parade! Got an awesome spot right at the rope to see those cool animal contraptions and the fab 4. The kid in me will wave at every person and character. By the end of the parade the skies opened up and the summer rain began. I walked between the raindrops biggrin out to my bus stop and waited a bit for my coach to the BW. Up to the room for a little snack (some veggies from home) and a few bites of that grapefruit cake. Jo Ann, it is wonderful! I haven't met too many cakes I don't like, however. mickey

When the rain was about over I went back into Epcot to close out the day. Sorry, Toy Story. sad I rode Living with the Land and Ellen's Energy, then made my way out to the WS. Stopped by Billy Joel group, but the seats were all wet! Stood and listened to half of their last set, and when they started repeating songs I had heard, I went into America to browse the nice room of artifacts and see that wonderful show. Came out and found a totally primo spot for Illuminations. I will now also officially stop saying that I do not care for Illuminations awesome It is all in where you are to see it.

Hoofed it back "home" for the night. note: at AKV you get a "welcome home" every single time you walk into that door. It is a much warmer feel there. The folks here at BW have been helpful when asked, but it doesn't seem to be quite as customer centered. I think I have only had one welcome home in 7 days. Just an observation.

Finished off the rest of the turkey sandwich from Sci Fi, and a few more bites of grapefruit cake. That stuff is really rich!

So today? Well, as you can see, I did not make rope drop at MK. biggrin I sleep like a rock here, and don't even wake up 3 times like I do at home. I am going to MK this AM, and have a ressie at Liberty Tree for lunch - my last ressie of the trip. Then whatever..... clapping

fmknightuk's picture

I'm really enjoying you TR, sounds like you're having fun! It's made me keen to do a solo trip one day, but my dds are 11 and 8 atm so i wouldn't dream of going to WDW without them, maybe in a few years.

Fiona

Magic Mirror's picture

taratru wrote:
Magic Mirror wrote:

You get a gift card, register it and then keep reloading it and paying with it. After you buy a certain amount (I think 30?), they upgrade you to "gold card" status. clapping awesome

Thank you!

Magic Mirror's picture

disneydoc wrote:
Strolled the BW and walked around the Beach Club, found Beaches and Cream, and was obligated to get a scoop of coffee ice cream, as Ghiradellis no longer has it:

What ? And it was sooo good! Sad(

disneydoc's picture

Day 7

I feel so fortunate to have this many mornings in the World! And the sun shines again today.

Day 7 was one of those Florida rain pattern kind of days - a shower would come down intensely for 5 minutes and be gone. Maybe 10. Just long enough to get all ponchoed up. cool

Did not hit the pool today either, as each time I walked by it was temporarily closed for a thunder rumble. Instead I chose things I specifically wanted to do, which took me first to MK. I took the long way by walking through Epcot to ride the monorail. Amazingly, the crowds were nice, even with my lazy paced 11 AM arrival. I was able to get into Haunted Mansion with minimal wait (poor kiddo next to me in line was terrified of the pre show, but some sweet little guys in the line told her that they used to be scared too, but it was really cool), got a FP for that corny but priceless Jungle Cruise, walked right on to Pirates, then came back to Liberty Tree for my ADR at 12:50.

However, I just was not feeling the Tavern....as good as it is, I was in the mood for a carb fest of sweet potato at the marketplace instead. Popped in and cancelled the ressie, and enjoyed the yummy potato on an outside table. Now if it was a blazing hot day that would not have worked, but it was perfect yesterday. I discovered those things on my November trip....they are baked to perfection. And $3.29 for lunch ain't bad. awesome

So time to waddle over for my FP Jungle Cruise, but they had closed for weather. Note: 5 seconds of thunder = 20 minutes of closure. sad

Soooooo....A little outdoor music in Frontierland (gotta love dueling banjos) and Country Bears. Again, corny but fun. Back to the Jungle and my cruise was ready. The captain was hys - ster- I - cal. I love it when the CMs enjoy their work - you can always tell.

Made my way to the front of the park before the parade, and stopped to shop along the way out. I really wanted a shirt with steamboat Willie at the wheel in that lightweight material, and they had one in my size, and at their lowest price tier too. Decided to take the plunge, as I 1) did not eat at Liberty, and 2) refrained from park purchases ( with the exception of a Mickey magnet). When I got to the register and flashed my AP for the discount, the CM accidentally hit 20 percent instead, and told me it would be our little secret! That shirt turned out to be cheaper than the one I bought at the outlet. silly I will save it for my Nov trip...fun to have a new shirt, and it is a bit warmer than my summer styles - perfect for fall.

Time to hit another park! Rode the monorail back to Epcot and walked through, stopping for a watermelon soda hit along the way. Stopped in for the Canada movie, and kept hoofing back to my villa to drop off my bag and pick up a DDP for the walk to HS. It did that Florida rain thing a couple of times. I kinda like it, as non veterans leave, and the rest of us have more room! wink

I sure will miss the BW - so cool to stop by your room without a 30 min bus ride.

I love HS! Had to go first to Writer's Stop for another carrot cake cookie (let's just have a carb fest all day today) and another round of Muppets. Then on to my primary purpose (well, the cookie actually was...) - Beauty & the Beast. Got there early enough to get a close seat. Lots of talent there, and a different cast from Nov.

Came back over to BW to get some supplies - bought some turkey and an orange at the General Store, but their coffee was crazy expensive. Soooo I hoofed across the street to the Hess station and bought some coffee at grocery store prices (half of the Mouse) and a couple of bananas for 99 cents instead of 1.49. silly

Stored my food and back to HS. Hung around and enjoyed the atmosphere there, and cued up early for a good seat for Fantasmic. Wow, does a closer seat make a difference.

This AM, my last full day? Well...it will end in Epcot with Bon Jovi, Julie, and Mike! Before that? Stay tuned.....

disneydoc's picture

Well, it finally happened- a gray, rainy, sorta dreary looking morning in the World. But as we all know, that really doesn't matter in the big picture, because I am at Disney! No matter how long my trip, I never want to leave this place, but I have to this AM. sad

Day 8

Yesterday was gearing up for this rainy business. I never broke a sweat the entire day, and even found myself cuddling under my poncho a few times. I started the day after my signature eggs in the room with a bus to AK to see the Nemo stage show again, but up close for the first time. I sat right next to the catwalk, 3 rows from the stage - I am here to to tell you that all of those actors are wearing mics and singing. If you have not seen that show, it is fabulous. I could listen to the guy who sings Crush all day. awesome

Walked around a bit, then out of the park, as the rains came. Bus back to BW for a DDP, then hoofed it between showers over to HS for Indiana Jones. I have not seen this show in over 15 years, and have avoided it on all my trips in the last 13 months. So I went for it, and was pleasantly surprised! I am not really an action movie kind of person, but this was fun. Although it is still the same sets and basic show, the extras and "directors" were really entertaining. Glad I did it, but it will not be one of my must do things.

Mermaid was too crowded, so I grabbed a carrot cake cookie for lunch (well, yeah), waited out the monsoon that descended, then walked back to BW. Changed to dry shoes yuck and hung out in my room a bit to read a little and hope for a weather break. When it looked kinda clear (but never sunny) I headed over to Epcot, as my FL buddies were going to meet up with me later at the Bon Jovi tribute band's first night. In front of Beach Club I broke out the poncho again, and wore it in to Epcot and over to Imagination. Figment says to tell you all hello. wink

Raining lots after, and waited it out a bit again. By now it is time to head over to line up for the concert. I called Julie to see what their plans were, and she called back after I was seated in the second row awesome to say they were not able to come tonight. sad We chatted a bit - I am so grateful to have been able to see them 2 times on this trip.

Well, even though the forecast said major rain for the evening, it stopped! I sat under cover, and after the first show it did not rain anymore. All 3 shows were just great - Mr. Hub, I hope you guys get to rock out while you are here! Julie, the guitar guy had on some wicked animal print pants along with his black hat and black velvet vest. And yes, he is still pretty cute. wink

Found another primo spot in Italy for Illuminations, and strolled across the BW "home" for the last evening of this just perfect trip.

So this AM?

Gotta pack and load up, but I don't plan to pull out of here till 1 or 2 PM, to roll through Atlanta well pass crazy time. Will hit some favorites before I go.......

Later, from Georgia! mickey

I am happy you got all 3 shows in, and thanks for the report on my hottie...animal print pants, can't wait! Maybe he'll give me his guitar pick again! crossfingers I just love looking at him...that's all!!!! Last year we saw him at British Revolution, Mike spotted him for me!
So sad we didn't make it up again to see you mad It just wasn't in the stars, nothing worked out, darn life gets in the way sometimes. Hopefully we can get things together today and head out early enough, we figure we can probably see the first show then head to the airport to pick up BFF/college roommate at 8:30 tonight stars Should be a fun week although the forecast is looking rainy for a few more days. Should clear up just in time for Mr. Hub and Scrappy! clapping
It rained here all day Sat. and all day yesterday and our grass desperately needs to be cut -it's a marsh now.
Anyway, sorry to see you leave, wish you could stay! We had a blast with you and can't wait for November to see you again! We love enjoying Disney with other Disney nuts like us, it's so cool, we just understand each other! So glad we found each other! I've gotten used to your posts every morning, now what am I gonna do?
Have a safe trip home Sad See ya in November! mickey

Julie

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

Allie's picture

It sounds like you had a perfectly amazing trip! Have a safe drive home and thanks for sharing every morning with us!

JoAnn C's picture

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Sorry it had to end. Hope you had a good drive back home.

Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your trip. I spent lunch yesterday with a group of people who just don't get the magic of Disney. I actually had a friend tell me she just didn't understand what my fascination in Disney after all I am an ADULT. She also said "I can't believe couples actually go to Disney on their honeymoons." I just told them you just don't understand and that's okay I still enjoy going to Disney.

Magic Mirror's picture

clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping

Awesome Trip!

disneydoc's picture

well, I woke up to some really happy cats in Cumming, Ga this AM! They have not left my side since i pulled in last night. One is sitting here right now with her paw up on my shoulder, purring at me. Missing the BW already. sad but glad to be home too.

Leaving Day (Monday July 1)

An overcast AM at the BW, but not as dark as the day before. I sorta always hate leaving day....the room is "mine" by now, and I am all settled in to living at the World. I reluctantly packed and ate the last two eggs, last bit of milk, etc and rolled things out to the car in a couple of trips. I lingered a bit as I did this, not wanting to give up my room - soooo nice. The last trip included a small cooler for the car with iced down Diet Dr. Peppers! And a banana for later.

So, how to spend the last few hours one has in the World? I decided to walk as much as I could in the process, as I would be in the car for a while, so I headed around the BW muchlove and into Epcot via the back gate. The Brazilian tour groups had arrived in force, and commandeered spaceship earth, so I kept walking out (WS was not open yet to cruise around) and hopped the monorail. Had to hop the resort monorail to get to MK at the TTC, as the tide of crowds was unbelievable! Enjoyed the ride to MK with families that were just beginning their vacations. mickey You can always spot those folks - they are perky, not wilted.

Despite the crowds, I walked right on to Peoplemover, Haunted Mansion, and Small World. Then over to Liberty Square for another one of those awesome sweet potatoes to eat later. A reluctant goodbye, a last long look at the castle, then walked down Mainstreet out to the monorail (after looking back ONE more time sad ).

I love the monorail ride into Epcot...you get to ride through Future World. I highly recommend doing that during Flower & Garden.....you get an aerial view of those flower beds! Back into Epcot for the last time (THiS trip), stopped for one last swig of watermelon soda in CLub Cool, and out the International Gateway. Decided not to begin the WS spin, as I would really never leave then.

Walked across the BW for the last time (THIS trip) and over to HS. Stopped in ABC Commissary to eat that potato (it takes that long to cool down!), and headed over for the real purpose of this last visit - to get a carrot cake cookie for later today, AND one to have one for tomorrow to ease the Disney downers. awesome

Mission accomplished, and now comes the hard part - that final click of the turnstiles behind you. Drank it all in, wanted to stay for Citizens of Hollywood on the streets, wanted to do Muppets....but time to roll. So, a look at the hat, and out the gate (for now!!!)

A nice walk along the waterway back to my car in the BW lot - a car that has not moved in the 8 days I have been here at BW. I am now a total Disney Transportation convert. awesome

Put those prized cookies into Ziploc bags for waterproofing, and into the cooler. Time to roll!

Across the street to the Hess station for a top off of good priced gas, and on the road by 2PM. The rains in Florida hit about then....torrential! Crept out of FL for 3 hours, but it literally broke at the GA state line. Arrived home safe & sound by 9:30.

Some thoughts:

Will use Disney transport from now on - much less stressful, even if it involves waiting

Swimming midday is awesome if weather allows. Makes all the difference.

I love to park hop! Fun to choose 2-3 things to target, leave, ride to another park, rinse, repeat. mickey

I do not personally need many ADRs for my way of eating.

Sci Fi rocks.

Staying at BW is amazing...half the World, within walking distance.

Next up? Jambo, baby.....Thanksgiving week. Thank you all for reading along! mickey

Kris1971's picture

What a great trip!! Really makes me want to take a solo adventure to the world sometime soon! I think its great that you were able to do things your way and not worry about anyone else! Thanks for letting us come along!

disneydoc's picture

thank you for reading, Kris! Solo trips are quite fun. You are never really alone at Disney. mickey

KanineKrunchies's picture

Sounds like a great trip!! It makes me super excited to be there soon!! And maybe try a carrot cake cookie? clapping At least you get to go back in November! My trip will have to give me my fix until 2015! wink

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

July 2010- First Disney trip with my now husband and his family. Campsites at Fort Wilderness
March 2012- 2 day Spring Break trip to Disney ---Royal Plaza (dowtown disney area)
July 2013- week long Disneymoon -- split stay Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs

December 2014 Christmas Trip- TBD
Summer 2015--Family Trip

disneydoc's picture

yes, KK, try that cookie! It has become my number 1 favorite snack in all 4 parks. I walked miles for them!!

And try to meet up with Julie and Mike while you are down there - it is so awesome to have Florida friends. They are the nicest Disney loving Floridians you will ever meet. muchlove

I feel very blessed to go as often as I do. DVC has made that possible...I came home from this trip with practically no charges to my credit card! DVC is prepaid (annual dues), and I buy Disney gift cards from Target using that Red Card and save 5% on each one. I also am blessed to get target gift cards from students, which can translate into Disney cards as well with a 5% savings too. mickey

I just charged to the room when I made a purchase, and visited the concierge desk every couple of days to pay off the room balance with these cards. I also put one or two of them on the account, so I carried a positive balance each day.

I think they will be issuing me a credit to my card for around $5 that I did not end up using. (they told me at the desk than any unused gift card balance would be refunded to the credit card on file).

I even came home with 4 cards that I did not break, and will save these for next trip.

This way I can budget for Disney and not come home with a bunch of debt. I buy one of those gift cards each month to pace it out.

Hope your trip is fun...anticipation is about as much fun as being there (well, almost). It is almost here!!! yay

I see those Disney cards ALL the time. That is an awesome idea ( I have a RED Card too haha). We will keep this in mind for our next Disney trip. I love that. Are there any places on Disney property that DON'T take the gift card? What all can you pay for with it?

Thanks for that- my mind is blown. You are a smart Disney shopper! haha And on our teacher salaries, we need that so that we can still afford our Disney fix!

[/url]

July 2010- First Disney trip with my now husband and his family. Campsites at Fort Wilderness
March 2012- 2 day Spring Break trip to Disney ---Royal Plaza (dowtown disney area)
July 2013- week long Disneymoon -- split stay Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs

Summer 2015--Family Trip

disneydoc's picture

I am a teacher too! mickey

I have used that gift card at every eatery, store, kiosk, etc on property. Just not for gas at Hess.

Used them at Downtown Disney too.

I figure that for every $500 of cards, I get $25 for free. clapping That goes a long way for me.

What do you teach??

And every bit counts!! Even without the discount, though, spacing it out and buying the gift cards makes it seem manageable. I will talk to the fiance and maybe do that for our trip to Disney with his family in 2015.

[/url]

Summer 2015--Family Trip

disneydoc's picture

I am an elementary library media specialist, and get to teach everybody. awesome Jack of all trades, master of a few, student of all. mickey