J Squared and friends Disneyana Dayton 2019 Trip Report

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
JoAnn C's picture
J Squared and friends Disneyana Dayton 2019 Trip Report

Jen and I have another fun weekend planned. Next weekend we are traveling to Dayton OH to attend the annual Disneyana Dayton event. Traveling with us are Abby (luvalldisney) and my best friend Memoree.

Jen and I will be flying to Akron-Canton Airport Friday morning where Abby and Memoree will pick us up. On our way to Dayton, we are planning on stopping in Marion OH to see William Harding's memorial (or as I call visiting a dead president), stop at an antique store and if time allows, visit the popcorn museum. We are also looking at visiting a winery on the way (you know there has to be alcohol involved).

Abby and I have attended the last two years. It's a great event. There is plenty of shopping at the many vendors selling their Disney collectibles. My favorite part is listening to the guest speakers. This year's speakers are Jim Hill (he's been there the last two years), Tom Nabbe (Disney legend), Alex Maher (Disney Character Artist) and Kaye Malins (Merceline MO Museum Director). Past speakers included Disney animators Mike and Patty Peraza and Bill Farmer (voice of Goofy since 1987).

The shopping and speakers are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. Friday night will be a quarter auction to support a local charity. A live auction will be on Saturday afternoon (also supporting the same charity). We will be attending the dinner Saturday where we will be sitting with one of the guest speakers. Sunday morning we will be heading to the USAF Museum to see the top ten Disney related items at the museum. We head back to Akron Sunday afternoon for our flights home.

For more information on the event - http://daytondisneyana.org/

oHIo's picture

Bummed (sort of laugh) that I won't be able to make it his year. I will be at everybody's happy place. Flying into Orlando on Tuesday the 4th for my granddaughter's all girls trip. Flying home late on Sat the 8th.

Dayton should be pretty much cleaned up by then. They used snow plows to clean all the tornado debris off
I-75! eek

JMed's picture

I'm so excited for this!!! ANNNNNNNNNND, I am flying ALONE the first leg of the trip!!!!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Allie's picture

Have a blast, ladies!

Kristen K.'s picture

Sounds like a lot of fun! You will have to share more with us when you return. I am especially curious to find out what the top 10 Disney related things are at the USAF museum. mickey

JoAnn C's picture

oHIo wrote:
Bummed (sort of laugh) that I won't be able to make it his year. I will be at everybody's happy place. Flying into Orlando on Tuesday the 4th for my granddaughter's all girls trip. Flying home late on Sat the 8th.

Dayton should be pretty much cleaned up by then. They used snow plows to clean all the tornado debris off
I-75! eek

You have a good reason to miss it this year. It would have been fun to reenact the photo bomb picture with Jen and I. lol

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:
I'm so excited for this!!! ANNNNNNNNNND, I am flying ALONE the first leg of the trip!!!!

you got this!

JoAnn C's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Sounds like a lot of fun! You will have to share more with us when you return. I am especially curious to find out what the top 10 Disney related things are at the USAF museum. mickey

I'm looking forward to that.

JoAnn C's picture

Allie wrote:
Have a blast, ladies!

thanks!

JoAnn C's picture

The adventure has begun. Actually, it started for me last night. Jen and I originally had a flight out of Charlotte arriving in Akron at 11:30am. With the grounding of the max 8 planes, our flights changed. Jen's changed to arriving on Akron at 9:47am and me at 3:30pm. I called to change my flight. The only option I had was to fly to Charlotte last night and stay over and get on the same flight as Jen. It worked out for the better as we have time to sight see on the way.

I am at the gate waiting for Jen.

More to come later.

oHIo's picture

Sorry I couldn't make it. I got bombed....photo bombed at The Villains Party!

PreviewAttachmentSize
8504f872-6376-4afd-b78e-eeba9cd8dd9a.jpeg
8504f872-6376-4afd-b78e-eeba9cd8dd9a.jpeg72.16 KB
Allie's picture

oHIo wrote:

How was the Villains After Hours?! We have tickets for the 20th!

JoAnn C's picture

Drinks before dinner

PreviewAttachmentSize
d3c31742-fb03-4331-862f-cfe35bb92cf7.jpg
d3c31742-fb03-4331-862f-cfe35bb92cf7.jpg2.73 MB

oHIo's picture

Allie wrote:
oHIo wrote:

How was the Villains After Hours?! We have tickets for the 20th!

Villains was fabulous! Would do it again in a heartbeat! Some people were upset that there were no meet and greets but there was plenty availability for interaction! The official time was 10:00 pm to 1:00 am but they discontinued serving food and beverages at 1:00 am. The last stage show BEGAN at 1:00 am! As we exited MK various villains were on the balcony of the train station taunting and interacting with the masses! My granddaughter was dressed as the Queen of Hearts and her mother as Cruella DeVille. Both were on the balcony encouraging my family. It was hilarious! This was the first party and it was sold out! Be sure and dress up! I'll be anxious to get your report!

PreviewAttachmentSize
fb29b8f7-c889-4d31-9ad1-8c2849cc9c3f.jpeg
fb29b8f7-c889-4d31-9ad1-8c2849cc9c3f.jpeg92.41 KB
oHIo's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Drinks before dinner

Ha! Did you get bombed too!? laugh

JMed's picture

Lots of laughs, fun, cocktails and Disney shopping. We are planning a trip to Marceline next year, whonis coming?!?!?!? Oh and I survived the flight.

oHIo's picture

JMed wrote:
Lots of laughs, fun, cocktails and Disney shopping. We are planning a trip to Marceline next year, whonis coming?!?!?!? Oh and I survived the flight.

Hmm tell me more about this trip to Marceline! All girl trips are so much fun! We laughed until we cried and our bellies hurt. I'm waiting at the airport. Congratulations on your survival!

JoAnn C's picture

Jen and I are at Akron airport. Our flight is delayed 2 hours so we will both miss our connections. I got us a room near the Charlotte airport and we have flights in the morning.

JMed's picture

I'm soooooooo tired!!!!!

oHIo's picture

Too much partying!! rolling rolling

Two delays for me from Orlando to Detroit on Saturday night. Supposed to leave at 6:30 pm delayed until 7:00 and then 7:45. Got home at 1:00 am but got to sleep in my own bed!

JoAnn C's picture

At my gate staring at 2 places for coffee and neither are open. Such torture.

JMed's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Drinks before dinner

Hey, I know that girl hiding behind the wine glass laugh

It really was a fantastic trip. Even sitting in the Can-Ton airport for hours!!!!!

I can't wait to start the trip report, let me know when you are ready JoAnn!

JoAnn C's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

Jen and I are going to write a joint review for you. Just need to get it started. We got lots of pictures.

JoAnn C's picture

Jen arrived at our gate in Charlotte just as they started boarding. We had seats a couple of rows apart but the person who was suppose to sit next to me didn't make the flight, so Jen moved back so we can sit together. We arrived in Akron and waited for Memoree and Abby to pick us up.

And we were off... Our first stop was the grave of President Warren G. Harding in Marion OH. It was an impressive memorial. After visiting the memorial, we stopped for lunch at Sansotta's. It's like Subway except with pasta bowls. It was pretty good. Naturally, Jen and I had wine with lunch. After lunch, we went to Wyandot Popcorn Museum. The museum was in an old post office building which also included the town's historical society. The popcorn museum had a lot of old popcorn wagons.

After our sight seeing in Marion was complete, we hit the road again for Waldo. Yes, I believe the question "where's Waldo?" was asked. Our venue in Waldo, Shamrock Vineyards. We arrived and the sign said closed. We decided to take a chance and pulled into the long drive way. The other side of the sign said open. We got to the tasting room and it was locked up tight. The owner came out and opened up just for us. Him and his daughter just got back from the Columbus Zoo. Our timing was perfect.

We did a tasting before finishing our journey to our home for the weekend, The Hope Hotel and Conference Center in Fairborn. We checked into the hotel, dropped our stuff off and went straight to the quarter auction.

PreviewAttachmentSize
img_2885.jpg
img_2885.jpg3.55 MB
img_2896.jpg
img_2896.jpg2.49 MB
img_2958.jpg
img_2958.jpg3.27 MB
img_2918.jpg
img_2918.jpg4.04 MB
img_2961.jpg
img_2961.jpg3.23 MB

JoAnn C's picture

When we saw this display at the museum, I had the urge to sing "It's a great big beautiful tomorrow".

PreviewAttachmentSize
img_2936.jpg
img_2936.jpg3.85 MB
img_2937.jpg
img_2937.jpg2.82 MB

JMed's picture

The flights weren't that bad, coming back from Akron to Charlotte I was a bit antsy but it was late and I was exhausted.

Our first day was great and it ended with cocktails at the hotel of course!!! I don't think JoAnn mentioned we drank our wine out of the bottles (the little mini wine bottles) they took our glasses to clean the water spots off of them and I didn't want to wait... laugh

PreviewAttachmentSize
inside shot of the memorial
inside shot of the memorial1.35 MB
menu
menu995.75 KB
balsamic steak pasta bowl
balsamic steak pasta bowl345.4 KB
Popcorn museum sign
Popcorn museum sign1.82 MB
M*I*C*K*E*Y
M*I*C*K*E*Y370.58 KB

JMed's picture

Couple more

PreviewAttachmentSize
winery glass
winery glass285.35 KB
Cocktails at the hotel
Cocktails at the hotel538.65 KB
special drinks for Disneyana
special drinks for Disneyana995.06 KB

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:
I don't think JoAnn mentioned we drank our wine out of the bottles (the little mini wine bottles) they took our glasses to clean the water spots off of them and I didn't want to wait... laugh

I was going to post the picture. I think Mem has it on her phone.

JoAnn C's picture

Got it

PreviewAttachmentSize
1f88583d-7382-4890-8d66-f348308e4b63.jpeg
1f88583d-7382-4890-8d66-f348308e4b63.jpeg197.58 KB

JMed's picture

yeeeessssssssssss, I haven't seen it, that is awesome!!!!!!!

JoAnn C's picture

Saturday morning we met for breakfast at the hotel before early bird entry opened up at 8:30. It was time to start shopping. I bought two new Lula Roe Disney tops, Minnie Steelers ears and a couple of other things. The Lula Roe rep remembered me from last year. I was most looking forward to the speakers. Jim Hill was unable to attend this year.

The first speaker was Alex Maher, Sr. Disney Artist. He designs a lot of the pins. He told us of his lifelong love for Disney and the many times he tried to get in with the company until one day his dream finally came true.

The second speaker was Disney Legend Tom Nabbe. He started at Disneyland when it first opened selling newspapers outside the gate. He personally asked Walt Disney if he can be Tom Sawyer. Walt wasn't sure about it at first. He said ""Why should I put you on the island when I can put a mannequin there? Especially considering the dummy won't be running off for hot dogs every half-hour." He eventually got the part. He worked his way up to management and moved to FL to work at MK and Epcot when they opened. He retired from the Disney company after 48 years.

PreviewAttachmentSize
img_2976.jpg
img_2976.jpg2.77 MB
img_2977.jpg
img_2977.jpg2.79 MB
img_2978.jpg
img_2978.jpg2.4 MB
img_2983.jpg
img_2983.jpg2.35 MB