JanJ and KenJ's September 2015 Trip Report

Login to post comments
76 posts / 0 new

Here are some of the souvenirs we took home from Trader Sam's...

HippopotoMai-Tai

Krakatoa Punch

Shrunken Zombie Head

Nautilus

Allie's picture

MrHub wrote:
And since you never got to record this........ Here is a solo just for you.

And just so everyone knows the story behind this, I never picked up an instrument before in my life. I wanted to do something special for Jan & Ken to start our trip, so I decided to buy a Ukulele 8 weeks before the trip and I learned how to play this one song so I could serenade they when they got off the Magical Express at the Polynesian Village Resort. Well their flight getting bumped and delayed messe that up, but I did play for them one night finally when we were going out to dinner. Not as great as I would have wanted it to be, but I think they liked it.

Adorable! Great job, Mr Hub! Very impressive awesome

And those souvenir glasses are awesome, Ken.

Belinda's picture

Love the serenade! Well done, MrHub! awesome

** BeLiNdA **

The Colonel's picture

Nice collection. Glad to see they got the sub glass in. They didn't have it when I was there last. You could drink out of it, but they didn't have enough to sell them. That Hippo Mai Tai drink was off the charts- like drinking a bottle of rum. They know how to mix a drink in there.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

crazycatperson's picture

I'm getting caught up on trip reports. Your trip looked awesome. Love the photos especially.

Mandy's picture

Good job mrhub! Those cups are cute!

JMed's picture

that's so sweet, it made me cry a little!

I love the zombie head mug, I smile every time I see ours!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

emily9514's picture

Let me get this straight: You can buy those mugs (20,000 Leagues, Zombie and Hippota-Mai-Tai)? If so, those will be some of the first buys on my list on my next trip!

JPR

Emily R.

emily9514 wrote:
Let me get this straight: You can buy those mugs (20,000 Leagues, Zombie and Hippota-Mai-Tai)? If so, those will be some of the first buys on my list on my next trip!

JPR

Well, you do buy them, but not like a normal purchase. You just need to go to Trader Sam's and then order one of the drinks that come in those souvenir mugs. The server will ask you if you want the take home mug. If you do, they charge you for it. The Nautilus drink with the take home mug is $52 and the other drinks were about $20 with the take home mugs. But not all drinks come with that option, only certain ones.

BTW, they are very good quality.

jrice4760's picture

KenJ wrote:
emily9514 wrote:

JPR

Well, you do buy them, but not like a normal purchase. You just need to go to Trader Sam's and then order one of the drinks that come in those souvenir mugs. The server will ask you if you want the take home mug. If you do, they charge you for it. The Nautilus drink with the take home mug is $52 and the other drinks were about $20 with the take home mugs. But not all drinks come with that option, only certain ones.

Hey, my apologies! I had replied to you (above) while my laptop was signed in to WDWFGU under my daughter's account!

Can you get the mugs without buying the booze?

JanJ's picture

jrice4760 wrote:
KenJ wrote:
emily9514 wrote:

JPR

Hey, my apologies! I had replied to you (above) while my laptop was signed in to WDWFGU under my daughter's account!

Can you get the mugs without buying the booze?

No issues, lol.

As of 2 weeks ago, you have to buy the drinks to get the souvenir glasses. I can't see them changing this.

jw24's picture

The nautilus looks bigger than I thought! I can't imagine finding a way for me to stuff it in my luggage or putting it in a carry-on either.

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

Eeyore's picture

Just getting around to reading some TR and of course, bravo! awesome

amy1989's picture

just catching up on this tr sounds like the 4 of you had an amazing time!!!

KenJ i completely understand your rant usually i don't notice much but one thing on our recent trip really got to me, myself and my auntie were swimming in the pool at POR not the kids pool one of the quieter pools, we were the only people in until this family came to the pool, we were just swimming down 1 side out of everybody's way but these kids were purposely jumping into the pool right in front of us and diving under the water, kicking their feet in our faces jumping out of the water in front of us etc and the parent just laughed and thought it was a huge joke, not i have no problem with kids playing in the pool its what they are there for and the rest of the trip there was kids in the pool but none were as rude as this family were!!!

that's my rant over!!!!

also those TS souvenir mugs are awesome i have to get myself one of those next year!!!!

jw24's picture

KenJ wrote:
Rant on...

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts and that we noticed on several occasions this trip was the entitlement and boldness that some people have.

Several times, we noticed people blatantly bypassing queues and boldly helping themselves to things that anyone with manners, decency or even common sense would never do.

Some examples:

1. We were in the fast-pass queue at HM and had just tapped our bands at the second FP station (right near the double doors). We saw a guy and his kid go over the chain from the standby line and simply walk right past the FP scanner without the CM noticing. His wife and other kid joined them the same way a minute later as she saw the husband get away with it. Upset by this, I told the CM that was manning the FP scanner what had just happened and even pointed out the guy. The CM just shrugged her shoulders and that was it. Nothing was done. Unreal. This guy and family went into the stretching room and enjoyed the ride with no fastpass and no wait.

2. At the MNSSHP, we saw a woman walk up to a trick or treat candy station lean over a divider rope and just help herself to stuff. She reached right in and just grabbed candy. The CM that was manning the station started wheeling it further away out of her reach and the woman kept grabbing stuff until the last second. She wasn't even in line for this. Again, unreal.

3. Waiting for our ADR at Via Napoli, a group of younger people just walked right into the restaurant, bypassing the desk and helped themselves to a drink from the juice bar and then walk out.

4. On a couple of occasions, people boldly cut in front of others lined up at a cash register.

I know this is small stuff compared to the other problems in the world, but really, it's the type of thing that just gets under my skin. People just pushing their way to the front or helping themselves to whatever they please. And yes, each of these situations involved people that "didn't speak english". I'll just leave it at that. And I don't buy the "culture" thing for a minute. It's just outright rude to behave this way when it's very obvious that there are queues and lines and everyone else around you are following the rules. English not required to understand these basic things. The know damned well that they are doing something they shouldn't be yet feel entitled to do so for some reason.

Anyway, what can you do?

Rant off...

If I may offer my two cents. I'm of the opinion that there is a good portion of the frontline CMs who take part in the college program. I mean, most Disney World jobs are part-time for the most part. Now, do all CP Cast Members take their job seriously? Well, from what I've heard, some do and give two hoots about everything while others don't and only see it as an opportunity to just boost their resumes. And their minuscule pay doesn't help either. I've often read that a huge complaint among the CP participants is that there is lack of strong, necessary communication between the managers and cast members. So things can trickle down and negatively impact everyone involved. It does appear frustrating that CMs can't put their foot down or risk being called out, singled out and then given the pink slip. But there are certain situations where authority and rules need to be enforced. Not in a tyrannical way, but in a firm but professional manner. At the same time, it's our job as guests to treat them with respect and advocate for them when they are being treated unfairly by rude and entitled people.

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."