Our 2013 Food & Wine Festival Trip!

Login to post comments
159 posts / 0 new
Mandy's picture

You guys looked very lovely for your dinner though! I rather be over dressed then under dressed. The food looks yummy.

crazycatperson's picture

When I read through the menu, the grouper caught my eye, so I was pleased to see a photo. Was it as good as it looked?

MrHub's picture

Mandy wrote:
You guys looked very lovely for your dinner though! I rather be over dressed then under dressed. The food looks yummy.

Quite right Mandy!

crazycatperson wrote:
When I read through the menu, the grouper caught my eye, so I was pleased to see a photo. Was it as good as it looked?

Yes the grouper was delicious. I get the grouper a lot in Disney, that and Ahi Tuna. Brown Derby has had a killer grouper dish for the the past 10 years or so.

MrHub's picture

After dinner we roamed the grounds of The Grand Floridian,

And looked on to the Poly, so close.............

we strolled back towards our room, wanting to be there to watch the fireworks from our balcony.

We got back to our room to find a surprise:

Turn down service and chocolates!

Then Fireworks!

It was much different view of "Wishes".

It was a wonderful way to end our first night and our first stay at the Grand Floridian.

MrHub's picture

Sunday we awoke to a cloudy ,humid sunrise.

We had a visitor on our balcony doors over night.

The foyer of our building:

It was so humid my camera kept fogging up

We started our day with breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe'

Eggs Benedict with Lobster

&

Magic Mirror's picture

Eggs benedict with lobster! Now we're talking!!! awesome

MrHub's picture

Magic Mirror wrote:

OH YES! It was delicious!

After breakfast headed back to our room, packed up, call bell services and they sent a cart for us and our luggage. We were headed to the Poly!

Well, you all know its not a far drive at all, but I got excited. The Grand was nice, but it's not the Poly. When you pull into the Polynesian, things change. Its exotic, its tropical & its 'Ohana! We get through the guard shack and pull up to Valet. Antonio meet us and opens my door, remembers us from past trips and welcomes with an "Aloha and Welcome home".

JoAnn C's picture

Those pancakes look good. Are those the citrus pancakes? I'm looking forward to trying the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. I think my mom would like the lobster eggs benedict.

VelcroPooh

Now I'm starving. Love the fireworks!

MrHub's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Those pancakes look good. Are those the citrus pancakes? I'm looking forward to trying the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast. I think my mom would like the lobster eggs benedict.

Yes JoAnn they were. Scrappy loved them to.

DisneyDee27's picture

I'm still trying to catch up on posts from our trip. I love the pics and I'm glad you had a fun time. I'll have to pick your brain about the GF. I too thought it was too stuffy for me but I've only walked through the grounds.

I'm glad you got the post cards too.
Smile

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Allie's picture

Side tracking but I love your new avatar pic of you and scrappy looking at the castle. Adorable! More trip report please biggrin awesome

MrHub's picture

Continuing,

We got checked in and our room was ready. We were granted our requests and got 3rd floor in Tuvalu. This is our favorite building.

Our view!

The refurbed rooms

Well we got unpacked and headed to the MK! Stopped and got a Frozen Cappuccino at Starbuck's, then headed to our Fastpasses. First was Splash Mt, then Big Thunder Mt. Then we headed for Buzz Lightyear.

MrHub's picture

On our way we ran into "Push". Seem to be running into him a lot lately. Can't find the video at the minute, I'll get back to him.

Anyway, we did a loop around the park, hitting what we wanted to, the crowds were not to bad but the heat was up there. It was close around 3 and we had a 5:50 ADR at California Grill so we headed back to the room to freshen up and change. Grabbed a Mai Tai at the Barefoot Bar on the way to the room.

Message light was blinking on the phone when we got back to the room, this is what we heard when we played it.

.be

The Cali Grill looked fantastic!

I started with the Dragon Roll

Scrappy had the Fresh Heirloom Tomato Salad

Of course Scrappy had the Filet

and I had the Diver Scallops

We picked desserts:

Then of course they brought out a complimentary Creme Brulee.

Karlipants's picture

Cali Grill looks stunning and delicious!

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away"

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/karli-and-marks-honeymoon-pre-trip-report

http://www.facebook.com/KarliInWonderland - My Disney Facebook page with live updates while i'm in the parks!

Mandy's picture

That food looks yummy!

VelcroPooh

That looks so good and the view is awesome!

Jessalynn27's picture

HOLY WINE!!!! LOL, this is definitely on our list of places to try on our trip. I think the hardest decision I will have to make is which bottle of wine to get from those chillers. The food looks fantastic as well, and of course the view doesn't hurt.

Magic Mirror's picture

Have to say, I'm really wanting that Heirloom Tomato Salad, it looks scrumptious!

JoAnn C's picture

I can't wait to try the California Grill Monday night.

Kristen K.'s picture

Oh my gosh - I shouldn't have read this thread while hungry!

Kris1971's picture

I can't wait to take my parents to the Cali Grill to celebrate their 46th wedding anniversary. Oh and I can't wait for the Spicy Kazan roll....MrHub, please tell me its still on the menu!!

taratru's picture

I love the GF more and more and more. I'm still undecided on the Poly; we went to Kona for breakfast and wandered down to the beach and around the resort a bit and I thought it was beautiful. I just wasn't "feeling" it. I like the rooms, though!

You had much more success with your anniversary celebrating than we did...no message from Minnie and Mickey, no congratulatory dessert at Cali Grill, just a bummer, since I put that on ALL of our reservations. I know those things aren't a given, but jeez, why ask if no one is going to acknowledge it?

We did have our server at Olivia's give us complimentary mimosas at breakfast one morning though, and that was lovely. muchlove

MrHub's picture

Kris1971 wrote:
I can't wait to take my parents to the Cali Grill to celebrate their 46th wedding anniversary. Oh and I can't wait for the Spicy Kazan roll....MrHub, please tell me its still on the menu!!

Yes Kris, they still have the Spicy Kazan Roll is still on the menu.

Where was I , oh yes. Well after that spectacular meal we were quite full and just strolled around the Contemporary then head back to the Poly so we could catch the Fireworks from our room. I wanted to make sure the camera was still going, but I had to make a stop at Captain Cooks for a Dole Whip. No matter how full you are, you can still eat a Dole Whip!.

I had to start eating before we got back to the room it was melting so fast.

Well the fireworks were awesome, like always. Heres the live stream I did, sorry the sound is not better, but you get jest of it.

That was the end to a perfect day!

MrHub's picture

We awoke Monday to a beautiful day!

PreviewAttachmentSize
dscn0853.jpg
dscn0853.jpg289.05 KB
dscn0854.jpg
dscn0854.jpg222.06 KB

I'm impressed mrhub! That's a good, tall pour of self serve Dole Whip! A skill that is fun to hone. biggrin

Oh, it's great to see the Dragon Roll is still on the menu at the Cali Grill. I always get that as an appy. clapping

Magic Mirror wrote:

My favorite too Magic! I really want to try that lobster version. awesome

MrHub's picture

Breakfast was at Kona Cafe.

I had the Samoan which I love, and Scrappy had the Fruit Bowl which is pretty darn good too! Big enough for two also.

Here is the "New" Kona Island". It's no longer a Sushi Bar, which was great when it was. Now its just Coffee in the morning now and seating to eat from the Kona Cafe. The Kona Island is first come, first serve and you can also order to go stuff there. The sushi bar was moved into Kona Cafe, but you can no longer sit and watch the Sushi Chefs.

Got a few photo's of the water falls since they may be gone by the time we get back, and then they may not. All depends on what work gets done with the construction.

JanJ's picture

Love Kona Cafe for breakfast! Haven't tried the fruit bowl yet - that is a plate full! It's all making me hungry. biggrin

MrHub's picture

Today was EPCOT day & F&WF.

We did SSE, Soarin, Test Track & Figment

We just did a nice laid back pace and didn't even take a whole lot of pictures. It was still hot as a bugger!. We started around the WSC and headed towards Mexico, stopping to much along the way.

The crowds were not bad at all, but it was early and not a weekend.

There was a lot of presence of security noticeable.