runDIsney Princess Weekend 2016

Login to post comments
14 posts / 0 new
JMed's picture
runDIsney Princess Weekend 2016

OK, I know it is 204 days away but I am super excited about this trip. yay I am going... SOLO, FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!! yay And doing one of the runs for the first time. yay

This was me when I hit submit for the race registration----> yeah

I already have "very tentative" plans but it all seems to just be falling into place.

Here are a couple of my questions....

1. For the veterans of runDisney events, it is difficult getting to the Expo on Thursday? I will be driving down early that morning and probably go straight there. Should I leave the night before and drive part way and get there early Thursday or will 2-3pm be a madhouse??? How long is the Expo open? I've never been to the ESPN section, lots of parking??

2. I am staying at POP Century for this (I don't want to use or DVC points for non-family trips) The site states transportation from "host" resorts but I didn't see a list of them. Then another piece I read says that ALL WDW resorts are "hosts". It basically says driving to EPCOT is a nightmare and I don't want to do that.

3. Do many people stay in the parks after the race. I do want to go back to the room after to rest up a bit and change but I also want to just hang too...

4. Since I will be alone, is it easy to kind of fall into a "group" I feel like everyone would be super friendly. I'm good in the parks but the big races we have done here kinda amps up my anxiety. My nanny usually talks me off the edge. No, not Blondie's nanny, mine LOL

5. I asked on the Foodies FB page but what are some of your favorite solo places to eat?

Right now plans are

Thurs Feb 18 - Leave early (unless I drive halfway Wed night)
Drive straight to Expo
Check into POP
Grab a quick dinner at resort and turn in early for the race

Fri Feb 19 - WAKE UP EARLY. It's race day! Snack for breakfast and off to EPCOT
Stay in park for a bit or head back to resort to change and rest before park hopping.
Lunch - ?
Dinner - Jiko

Sat Feb 20 - Snack from room for breakfast
Epcot for Soarin, Test Track and lunch at Chefs de France
HS for ToT, RnRC, TSM
AK for Everest
MK for some of my "never have I ever" rides
Dinner - Kona Cafe Sushi Bar

Sun Feb 21 - Early BOG breakfast and a stroll around the park before heading home

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Spook's picture

The expo will be open until 7 or 8PM on Thursday. They'll update the RunDisney site with the times eventually but last year it was open 10am to 8pm. Pi think it's usually crazier first thing when it opens, everyone wants to get there and get merchandise before it sells out. Later in the afternoon should be calmer. Parking isn't bad but I still prefer to use disney transportation. For Princess all resorts are host resorts. For the 5K driving to epcot shouldn't be too bad. We had no problem driving to the 5K during marathon weekend. However at that time of morning, why not let someone else drive you laugh we were staying offsite so had no choice.

We usually leave right after the race but I imagine people stick around afterwards. Depends what time you finish and when the park opens. If you finish at say 7:30 and the park opens at 9, you might not want to hang around. Runners are VERY friendly I find. I'm pretty introverted and shy so I don't really start up conversations with random people but people would chat me up on the monorail to the race and in the corrals. You'll meet plenty of people and have a blast awesome

Just a word of caution.......you may become addicted to RunDisney! It's so awesome muchlove

JMed's picture

Spook wrote:

Just a word of caution.......you may become addicted to RunDisney! It's so awesome muchlove

Thanks for all the info Spook!!! I am hoping to become addicted. A friend of mine is already talking me into the 10K in 2017!!!

Spook's picture

JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:

Thanks for all the info Spook!!! I am hoping to become addicted. A friend of mine is already talking me into the 10K in 2017!!!

Awesome! I'm doing the 10K in January and then in February the 5K and Glass Slipper challenge. My Dad is doing the 5K with me so if you see us feel free to join up with us mickey

I'm thinking of attempting the full marathon in 2017 but that might just be a dream laugh

Spook's picture

Oh and there is also a rumour going around that a new race weekend will be coming to WDW in April. The rumour is that it will be a Star Wars theme. Again this is still rumour and speculation. Since you're doing a Star Wars cruise I thought it might interest you Smile

alicemouse's picture

Spook's done a lot more runDisney events, so she's definitely the expert in this field, but a few thoughts on your questions...

I would classify ESPN as having ample parking, but you'll be walking a fair distance from the lot to the complex even if you get a good spot. It's a cool place though. Looks like sort of a Spanish architectural influence--reminds me of Coronado Springs in a way.

I think from the conversation that you are running the 5K? When I first started running, I signed up for a local 5K and since it was only .25 miles from my house, I figured I could just walk down and walk home. Personally, I'm ok WHILE I'm running, but after I stop, my feet go into immediate revolt. They swell and ache and I just want to cut them off and leave them behind. You may or may not feel up to walking the parks all day right away after the race. Even at 5K, I'd schedule some tentative down time. When we were at DL in March, one of the free H2O spa products was a mint foot rub. I'm not sure if they sell it at the WDW gift shops, but it was amazing. I highly recommend it post-race.

Last fall was my first runDisney event and I ran solo. I chatted with a few people at first, but honestly, I was too nervous to make friends and having no idea how I'd actually do with the pressure of a race, I didn't want to try to pace myself with anyone. I thought I'd be lonely because I run about 80% of my training runs with a buddy. But actually, it was kind of nice. There was plenty of scenery to look at and just getting to take in everything at a running pace instead of a bus pace was really cool. Near the end of the race, there were awesome volunteers who were cheering everyone on and they made you feel like you were the only person running the race and that you were about to come in first place. I really can't say enough about those amazing people.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Kris1971's picture

JMed & Spook, we should definitely try to meet up at some point! I would love to meet you ladies in person!

Allie's picture

I have no advice as I've never done a runDisney event, but man am I jealous. I'm a super amateur runner (ran a half marathon for my first race and now do 5k and 10k training and races when I need to get back into shape) but I would LOVE to do a runDisney race some day so I'm pumped to hear about your experience. And yay for a solo trip! awesome

JMed's picture

Spook wrote:
JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:

Awesome! I'm doing the 10K in January and then in February the 5K and Glass Slipper challenge. My Dad is doing the 5K with me so if you see us feel free to join up with us mickey

Where are y'all staying Spook??? I don't want to mess up anyone's pace as alicemouse mentioned. Just some friendly banter before and after! I hope to meet up with any of you that are going to be there!

Mandy's picture

JMed wrote:
OK, I know it is 204 days away but I am super excited about this trip. yay I am going... SOLO, FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!! yay And doing one of the runs for the first time. yay

This was me when I hit submit for the race registration----> yeah

I already have "very tentative" plans but it all seems to just be falling into place.

Here are a couple of my questions....

1. For the veterans of runDisney events, it is difficult getting to the Expo on Thursday? I will be driving down early that morning and probably go straight there. Should I leave the night before and drive part way and get there early Thursday or will 2-3pm be a madhouse??? How long is the Expo open? I've never been to the ESPN section, lots of parking??

2. I am staying at POP Century for this (I don't want to use or DVC points for non-family trips) The site states transportation from "host" resorts but I didn't see a list of them. Then another piece I read says that ALL WDW resorts are "hosts". It basically says driving to EPCOT is a nightmare and I don't want to do that.

3. Do many people stay in the parks after the race. I do want to go back to the room after to rest up a bit and change but I also want to just hang too...

4. Since I will be alone, is it easy to kind of fall into a "group" I feel like everyone would be super friendly. I'm good in the parks but the big races we have done here kinda amps up my anxiety. My nanny usually talks me off the edge. No, not Blondie's nanny, mine LOL

5. I asked on the Foodies FB page but what are some of your favorite solo places to eat?

2. Pop usually offers transportation to the expo and to the races.
4. I fell into a group, I don't think it would be hard for you! I found a group of ladies that I decided to keep pace with for my race and they ended up becoming my friends once they noticed I was keeping pace with them.

Spook's picture

JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:
JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:

Where are y'all staying Spook??? I don't want to mess up anyone's pace as alicemouse mentioned. Just some friendly banter before and after! I hope to meet up with any of you that are going to be there!

We are staying at BLT

JMed's picture

What about you Kris1971??

Kris1971's picture

JMed wrote:
What about you Kris1971??

Haven't booked our rooms yet. I'm leaving the choice up to my sister in-law since this is the first time she gets to go to WDW kid free. I remember her once telling me that she's always wanted to stay at the Poly, but I'm not sure she knows what that means cost wise yet. I'll be talking to her next week (they are on vacation this week) to nail down our plans.

JMed's picture

Sounds awesome! Can't wait for a meet up and a pic to add to the new thread!