2013 Wine Spectator Restaurant Wine List Awards Include Disney Favorites

Disney loving oenophiles will take comfort in knowing that once again some of our favorite restaurants have earned honors in the wine world! The Wine Spectator 2013 Restaurant Wine List Awards are out and several of Disney's Signature Dining establishments continues to represent. The Awards are given to "recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers." An excellent wine list can be the backbone of an outstanding beverage program. We're thrilled that as one of the largest purveyors of wine in the world Disney is also creating cohesive and appealing wine lists to entice its guests.

Citrico's Unique Preservation System Offers Epic Wines By The GlassCitrico's Unique Preservation System Offers Epic Wines By The Glass

2013 Best Of Award of Excellence

2013 Award of Excellence

Wine lovers may be saddened that there are fewer Disney restaurants on the list than before, with no new Disney restaurants taking honors. Newly missing from the list this year is the 2012 Award of Excellence recipient, Yachtsman Steakhouse. 2011 Award Winners Portobello Yacht Club & Artists Point Restaurants also remain absent in the 2013 list.

Jiko's Wine Room Features South African VintagesJiko's Wine Room Features South African Vintages

If you would like to explore these award winning wine lists, but don't quite know where to start, ask your server if you can talk with the restaurant's Sommelier. Disney Sommeliers know their lists inside out, and are not only highly trained in everything related to the wines, but usually posses a sincere and genuine desire to share their knowledge. They are there to help you pick just the right bottle to make your meal even more memorable. Disney's wine program has introduced me to several excellent wines I now enjoy at home on a regular basis.

Are you looking forward to trying any of these restaurants on your next Walt Disney World vacation? Do you regularly enjoy wines from their lists? Leave us a comment and let us know where is your favorite place in to enjoy a bottle of wine is!

crazycatperson wrote on Fri, 07/19/2013 - 17:01:

crazycatperson's picture

We have no plans to visit any of the above restaurants on our next trip, but I want to visit the wine bar in Epcot's Italy section. Or I might buy a bottle (or two) at one of the Epcot shops to enjoy back at our resort.

coreyp wrote on Fri, 07/19/2013 - 20:43:

coreyp's picture

They have free wine tastings at the wine bar in Italy too! We planned our ay at EPCOT around going to it. I think they only have it one or two days a week, and only once or twice per day.

coreyp wrote on Fri, 07/19/2013 - 20:44:

coreyp's picture

Rockster wrote on Sat, 07/20/2013 - 05:02:

Jico has been ne of our favorite Disney restaurants for a long time. The wife and I are DVC members and even though we live in Northern Illinois, we have season park hopper passes and make the trip to Orlando at least twice a year. Being retired, it is easy to go down when you want and our favorite times are the start of the Epcot Flower & Garden Show and towards the end of the Epcot Food & Wine festival because the weather is cooler and the crowds are not as bad. We have learned not to make dinner reservations for every night we are there as it is a lot easier and less expensive to go with counter service when you are hungry so as not to be tied down to a schedule every night.

However, we do like to spend one night at Jico because of the fabulous food, ambiance, and of course the wine. The next trip down is in November and my sister and her husband are going down too. They are staying at their home resort which is the Boardwalk Resort and we are staying at Kidani Village, the Disney Vacation Club part of the Animal Kingdom lodge complex. It is a 7-minute walk from Kidani Village to Jico and we have talked my sister and her husband in joining us for dinner one night. They have never eaten at Jico so this will be their first time. We are anxious to show them why we are such fans of the restaurant even though it is so far from everything. It is worth the bus trip to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a one night gastronomic adventure.

Another thing we like about Jico is that it is never crowded for some reason. The Boma Buffet next door is always packed and noisy - because of the all you can eat buffet, but Jico is darker and more intimate and quiet. You can really enjoy your meal and a conversation with your table mates without having to shout to be heard. We have eaten at all the signature restaurants - like California Grill, Artist Point, Flying Fish Cafe, etc. - and Jico tops the list. If you haven't tried it, what's keeping you???

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 07/20/2013 - 14:05:

Hi Rockster!

Thanks so much for posting about your love of Jiko! I've only been there once but I look forward to going back. I agree that Animal Kingdom Lodge is full of wonderful dining adventures that make it totally worth the trip out of the way.

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 07/20/2013 - 14:06:

Corey & Jan - I still haven't made it to Tutto Gusto in Italy! I keep meaning to get there and it just hasn't worked out yet but I really look forward to it when I can!

greekrow wrote on Wed, 12/11/2013 - 13:48:

Sorry for my ignorance but I had not heard of the "Wine Spectator" wine list awards before. And boy am I glad I did since I neither had any idea that I could find such excellent wine restaurants at Walt Disney resorts. I already managed to visit the World Dolphin Resort and I was simply amazed. Highly recommended. Best regards, Richie.