Changing and Cancelling Your Walt Disney World Reservations

We all look forward to our Walt Disney World Vacations once they're booked. However sometimes things don't go quite right and life rears it's ugly head, making for a trip that needs to be canceled or postponed. It's the worst-case scenario, but if you know what you need to do in advance it doesn't need to be difficult or fraught with drama. There have been some changes and updates since we first published this piece, so our regular guest blogger Holly L. took a closer look to keep us up to date with all you need to know about changing and canceling your Walt Disney World Resort reservations in 2016.

Changing And Cancelling Disney ReservationsChanging And Cancelling Disney Reservations

Disney Room Only Reservations:

In order to cancel a room only reservation and receive a full refund of your deposit, notification of cancellation must be received at least 5 days prior (6 if you book online) to your arrival date. To cancel or modify an existing reservation, you must call the Disney Reservation Agents at (407) W-DISNEY.

If you have booked your Walt Disney World Hotel reservations through a private travel agent, you will need to contact them with enough time to facilitate your cancellation.

If you would like to change your reservations rather than cancel them, you may be subject to new room rates. Any additional deposit will need to be paid on the new room reservation within seven days of booking.

Walt Disney Travel Company PackagesWalt Disney Travel Company Packages

Vacation Package Reservations:

Changes or Cancellations in your package reservation made with the Walt Disney Travel Company can be made without penalty up until 31 days in advance of your trip.

If you cancel your reservation 30 days or less in advance, there will be a cancellation fee from Disney of $200. In addition to that you will lose any nonrefundable elements, such as travel insurance and possibly airfare.

For cancellations made 1 day or less prior to Guest arrival, the full price of the package is non-refundable. Absolutely no refunds will be given to no-shows.

Changes to reservations that result in a lower rate, 30 days or less prior to arrival, will be subject to a $50 fee.

Disney Vacation Club ReservationsDisney Vacation Club Reservations

Disney Vacation Club Points Reservations:

31 Days or more before check-in existing points reservations can be changed or canceled without penalty. Any excess points not used for a new reservation will be returned to the vacation account in the use year for which the reservation falls. They must be used during that use year, so be aware of the new timeframe on your points if you have banked or borrowed points for the reservation being changed.

When canceling a DVC points reservation 30 Days - 1 Day before planned check-in all of the vacation points will be placed in a holding account that must be used in the same use year which the reservation falls. If a new reservation uses fewer points than the original, excess points will remain in that holding account until it expires at the end of the year.

Finally, when you modify your reservation on check-in date, if the new reservation uses fewer vacation points than the original, the remaining points on the original reservation will be forfeited. If you cancel completely on your check-in date, all vacation points used to make the reservations will be completely forfeited. In this case it seems like it's better to rebook to a later date using the full amount of points on your original reservation, even if you don't know you'll use it. That way you at least keep the points in play while you figure out what you need to do.

If you have made your DVC reservation using cash, other restrictions may apply, so be sure to check with member services.

Sometimes You Have To Just Roll With The ChangesSometimes You Have To Just Roll With The Changes

Cancellation or refund policies and procedures can vary depending on how and where you book your vacation, they are also subject to change. Be sure that you understand which apply to you at the time of booking. No one ever wants to have to cancel a Disney vacation, but knowing what the policies are in advance can save surprises and money if it needs to be done.

Have you had to change or cancel one of your Disney reservations? I've had the unfortunate luck that saw me doing just such a thing over the past couple of years. Do you have tips or tricks that could make the cancellation process the process go more easily? Leave a comment below and share your tips & tricks!

JeffC wrote on Thu, 02/09/2012 - 01:00:

JeffC's picture

We've had to call and change our vacation reservations not too long ago - we had to delay our September 2011 trip to April of this year.

I think, to the point of your whole article, knowing the change and cancellation policies in advance makes it a whole lot smoother. And knowing exactly what you want when you call. For us, I already had the new dates in mind, so everything just moved over to the new dates.

The only bummer was I lost all my ADRs and had to wait until 180 days to make them all again.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 02/09/2012 - 01:51:

I love changing reservations with DVC, they make it really easy because I never have to worry about moving money around or getting my deposits back. As you mentioned I always try to call with a couple of options in mind.

Katie wrote on Fri, 04/06/2012 - 00:29:

I'm unfortunately having to cancel our dream trip/ belated honeymoon to Disney World for financial reasons and am totally heartbroken, so thanks for letting me know exactly what to expect so I'm not in tears with the castmember when I call. I'm especially bummed out because we had every single prime reservation during free dining I could ever want. Hopefully in a couple years we'll be able to swing it :(

Steve wrote on Wed, 12/12/2012 - 04:25:

Hey, Katie. Try going through a travel agent. They aren't any extra money and often can get you deals that aren't open to the general public.

Christine wrote on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 16:14:

I had an awful time dealing with the Disney Guest Services people in cancelling our Disney World vacation. My son died unexpectedly after heart surgery and I first called Disney FOUR MONTHS BEFORE our scheduled vacation, at which time the pleasant representative told me since I was cancelling so early it would be no problem and we would get 100% of our deposit back. After 3 weeks and hearing nothing, I called again at which time another perky employee promised a complete refund within two billing cycles. I called TWO MORE TIMES and kept talking to these Stepford people who promised a complete refund. It was so strange and unnerving that I felt compelled to WRITE A LETTER via Fed Ex to the CEO of Disney as well as the woman in charge of Disney World in Orlando. As a result of my letters, they had more Guest Services reps call me to ask if I needed help in filling out the insurance claim (because now it's within the 45 days of cancellation)! When I asked WHY would all those previous people make promises to me about a complete refund they would not answer but instead shift the conversation. Now I am being charged a $200 fee. There is something unethical going on here and no doubt Disney gets a cut of the fees. What a bad taste in my mouth about Disney World.

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 21:52:

Oh Christine that is just awful, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. There is no reason that you should be having such a difficult time with Disney in canceling your vacation and getting a refund, especially at this difficult time. The only advice I have is to stick to your guns and to document everything that's been happening. I'd try sending another letter as well. I hope that they can offer a resolution soon.

mary wrote on Tue, 10/15/2013 - 14:20:

now in 5th day of trying to cancel a reservation due to medical reason. was told 5 days ago that I would receive a cancellation notice in 24 hours and a credit to my credit card for $200.00 deposit in 48 hrs. I'm back on phone. NOW I'm told "we do not send cancellation notices" and "refunds can take two billing cycles to be posted". amazing how disney can post a charge in 30 seconds but take 60 days to return it! our airline insurance requires written cancellation notice from disney for medical claim of cancellation. So now we have lost $1830.00 because disney will not help us.
THINK.....NOT AS SWEET AS YOU THINK IN DISNEY
CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

Mary wrote on Tue, 06/24/2014 - 23:15:

Made reservations with AAA months in advance to meet my daughter and her family at Wilderness Lodge for a couple of days. When my daughter had to cancel today about 2 pm, I called AAA and because I did not cancel before noon today, which would have cost $25, I had to pay the one day fee of $309, which is outrageous! They have 5 days to book that room! I will never ever book far in advance again at Disney. I may never go to Disney again at all!

Cindy86488 wrote on Thu, 10/09/2014 - 18:08:

If I make reservations for a party of 6, but one person can't make the trip, can I cancel only their reservation and will I receive a refund for their portion of the vacation?

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 10/11/2014 - 13:49:

Hi Cindy - I believe that you can, however depending on when you cancel the reservation there may be a penalty. I am not a travel agent, nor do I work for Disney so my best advice is that you give Disney a call and ask them for an official answer.

Lex wrote on Thu, 04/02/2015 - 18:21:

What about changing vacation date to a sooner time? Our original date to Disney is booked for three months from now but things have changed and we would like to change it for less than a month and a half sooner. Are there any regulations or fees that you know of for bumping up the date?

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 04/06/2015 - 21:14:

Lex, Your best bet is to give your TA or Disney a call and see if there would still be fees. I believe that the fees are applied no matter if you move your trip sooner or later than originally schedules. Check with Disney though, I could be mistaken.

Jmfcg wrote on Mon, 05/04/2015 - 00:19:

Cindy, we had to remove someone from our trip and it was no problem at all. Then we ended up adding a different person back on. As long as your room has room you can add or take them away. We were also enjoying free dining;)

Michelle wrote on Mon, 07/27/2015 - 18:31:

I understand that you can cancell up to 44 days before the trip...were leaving thursday. My son whose 14 is giving me a hard time about this trip, i don't think he wants to go. can I still cancel we leave in 3 days!

Laura M wrote on Sat, 12/05/2015 - 04:09:

We just received a letter saying that the main pool area, slides, kiddie pool and bar are closing for refurbishments the day we arrive. We paid extra for pool views etc. this letter comes just 34 days before our arrival. With three kids 4, 4, 18 months we were really planning on these activities. Any suggestions? Change resorts? Ask for discount?
Thanks

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 12/08/2015 - 04:20:

Laura,

My advice is to call Disney and ask if they can switch you to another resort with comparable amenities for the same price. Very politely, explain your situation and see if thee's anything they can do. If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Krissy wrote on Sat, 12/26/2015 - 18:11:

I have booked a vacation for marathon week at Disney. My mother was supposed to accompany me, but unfortunately is unable to make it. I still plan to go but I had purchased theme park tickets for her. Will they refund me the money (some or all) for just her tickets?

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 12/28/2015 - 21:18:

Hi Krissy, I believe that all sales are final as far as tickets go. I know that I've had to hold onto them before when people canceled on me. The good news though is that they won't expire, so you can use them on your next trip!

Jill wrote on Mon, 01/25/2016 - 03:19:

We are scheduled to leave Illinois on the evening of February 3rd, though I am now hearing that the Midwest is expecting snow-mageddon somewhere in the February 2-3 timeframe - fabulous! If our flight gets canceled (hypothetically....ugh, I can't even imagine), are we able to modify our reservation for later dates without penalty?

alicemouse wrote on Mon, 01/25/2016 - 14:48:

alicemouse's picture

Hi Jill,

Call Disney as soon as you are aware that there will be a delay. You can modify your dates altogether or remove the first night or two of your stay for a small change fee ($15-50 depending on the exact circumstances). If you remove a night, the fee will be offset by the refund that you receive on that night's reservation. If you do not call Disney and just try to check in a day later, they will count you as a no-show and cancel your reservation. At that point, the reservation would be non-refundable. If you cancel the reservation due to travel delays, it is also non-refundable. The most important thing is to be in touch with your travel agent or with Disney (if you booked direct) regarding the situation. Remember that Mickey loves you and he really wants to see you, so his cast members will work to find the best possible solution for your family.

Your best protection--especially when traveling in the winter--is to purchase travel insurance. I think that you're probably within a window where you wouldn't be able to purchase it for this trip, but for the future, it might be a good option for you given your location in Illinois. If you purchased travel insurance, review your policy carefully. Eligible claims should be clearly defined in the documentation.

Hopefully you will have a day or two advance notice regarding your flight if it's going to be a really bad storm. I'm in the mid-Atlantic and we had about 48 hours warning that all Saturday flights to everywhere were being canceled this past weekend and the airlines were helping people move around their flight to preserve their travel plans the best they could. They were even putting people on flights a day or two earlier where possible. And I mean, what's wrong will a little bit of extra Disney Magic? :D

Jason Honingford wrote on Tue, 02/09/2016 - 21:23:

I believe you can cancel online now when booking through Disney.

Diana L wrote on Wed, 02/10/2016 - 08:12:

We live 25 mins from Disney World and my husband will be attending a conference there Valentines weekend (4 days from now). We decided to take advantage of the timing by making it our Valentine's Day getaway. Unfortunately, my mother was admitted to the hospital in Miami and might need surgery. So my question is, will Disney allow us to cancel or make it for another day?

Kristen K. wrote on Wed, 02/10/2016 - 15:01:

Diana, the best advice I have is to give them a call and try. You may be able to switch to another date, without penalty, but I'm not 100% sure. Calling them to ask is your best bet.