Disney World debate: One long trip or two short trips?

It's the ultimate debate for Walt Disney World die-hards: How many trips should we schedule this year?

Should we do one long, leisurely trip, or several short trips to experience nice spurts of Disney magic year-round?

It's a tough decision, and a multi-faceted debate. So to help you out, we've put together a pro-con list for each of these situations. And be sure to weigh in below with your thoughts!

Several short trips

Pros

More doses of the magic. If you're taking 2, 3 or 4 shorter trips to Disney World each year, you're getting your fix in regular doses. You may not feel as pressured to experience it all on each trip. And you won't be as sad when you leave, knowing that you'll be back in a few months.

More event opportunities. If you're taking several shorter trips in a year, you could, for instance, experience the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival, Epcot Food & Wine Festival, and special holiday events like Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party -- all in one year!

Cons

Travel cost. It's definitely going to cost more to travel to Disney World several times a year. And gas costs these days...yeesh! And, if you're not a season passholder, then tickets will cost more too, when broken up over several trips.- perhaps spring for the No Expiration option?

Feeling rushed. With several shorter trips, it's possible that you may feel like you didn't get to do everything you wanted. That feeling of being rushed, or that you "skipped" something that is an every-trip ritual for you isn't always the best.

One long trip

Pros

Money Savings. Travel costs and ticket costs could be a significant savings when traveling down only once per year.

More planning time. With just one trip per year, you'll likely be able to make your ADRs and make a wishlist of where you'd like to go well ahead of time. You can mark off the days or create a countdown to make things fun as you anticipate your trip.

Cons

Time between trips. Just one trip a year leaves many with a case of "Disney homesickness." You may find yourself pining for another trip over the course of the year more than you thought.

Leaving kids and pets. If you have little ones or little furry ones at home, you may not want to leave them at home for a week or more.

With all that said, do you prefer taking one long trip per year, or several shorter trips? Share your thoughts below, and check out the conversation in our forums.

katrina1122 wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 16:06:

katrina1122's picture

We always do one long trip. It's a long trip from NJ to WDW so a weekend trip is just difficult, though if we could, I'd try and do a quick trip here or there.

Kathleen wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 16:37:

I much prefer several short trips so I can take in different park events through out the year. If you watch your cents & dollars you can make it work...other than plane tickets or gas. I imagine as those 2 continue to rise ... the 1 big trip will more likely be the scenario --- until I move down there :D

Mase wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 17:29:

Mase's picture

I dont know what considers as a small vs. large... but we just go on one 7 day trip a year. Would love to get to the point to take another week trip like my parents do. But for now... just the week, and I dont want to chop it up into like a 3-4... wouldnt seem like enough time.

DisneyLvr wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 17:38:

Perk of being a FL resident and an annual pass holder: Take several short trips a year! My boyfriend, sister, her boyfriend and I invested in the monthly payment plan for 2011 and so far, we've been to Disney in December of 2010 and February, March and April of this year! We're going for Memorial Day weekend as well :-)

micmin69 wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 18:02:

a couple of 6 night trips/year is perfect! disney homesickness or as we call it, "disney funk" is not as bad, but we still feel it...throw in a 3 night quick vacation whenever possible to keep the "disney fix" satisfied...

Sherrie wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 18:40:

Two or more shorter trips if possible- we'd love to do one with all the kids and grand kids, and one trip just for my husband and myself. Different experiences, and both ways are wonderful!

gaylin wrote on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 21:44:

Coming from the west coast of Canada, one trip is better. Also if I went for short trips I would constantly have the feeling of knowing what I wasn't getting to do!

Kristen H wrote on Thu, 05/12/2011 - 15:32:

Kristen H's picture

Great thoughts, everyone!

My husband and I live in Alabama, and we're planning just one 6-night trip this year. But we are checking out on a Friday and may stay in Orlando for 1 more night off property.

Last year we went on a 7-night trip in the spring for our anniversary, and a 6-night trip in the fall to take advantage of the Food & wine Festival and the free dining plan offer.

I wish we could have taken 2 trips like that this year too, but it's not in the financial cards for us.

JeffC wrote on Fri, 05/13/2011 - 00:00:

JeffC's picture

Location makes a difference for us. When we had to fly, we would do a 2-week trip every 2 years. Now that we are within reasonable driving distance, we find we are doing one major trip of a week to 10 days, and then a minor trip (3-4 day long weekend) at a later point.

Both have major benefits though. All be told, though, I think I like the idea of a longer trip once than several shorter trips. 2 weeks off work and at Disney is a thing of beauty. And we would switch up the time of year to experience different special events.