Disney World tap water: How to make it tastier

Admit it, we've all done it. You arrive in your Disney World hotel or condo in the Florida heat, just having lugged your bags in from across the parking lot. You grab a glass, fill it with water from the tap, and take a sip to quench your thirst. "Ugh, gross! This water tastes like [fill in the blank]!"

Well, there are several solutions to the icky tap water issue.

If you're driving into Disney World, then the solution is pretty simple: bring a case of bottled water with you, or buy some at the store as you arrive.

But, if you're flying in, you might need to get a little more creative. If you get a rental car, make a pit stop at a grocery store on your way in to buy a case.

If you're without your own car, make arrangements to get some bottled water delivered to your room. Try gardengrocer.com, wegoshop.com, or even Costco or BJ's Wholesale. You can even ship items to yourself via UPS or FedEx (great for snacks, too!). The Disney World Moms Panel answers a question about that here.

Another solution, if you don't feel like buying bottled water: mix-ins! Popular drink brands like Crystal Light, Hawaiian Punch, Lipton, Propel, Ocean Spray and more have single-serve drink mix packets perfect for a tall glass or a 20 oz. bottle. Just mix it in to mask the taste of the tap water. Buy a couple boxes before you go and toss in your bag -- no hassle!

What is your solution to staying hydrated at Disney World? Leave a comment below!

laurie wrote on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 15:50:

i have a case of water shipped to the resort - bring 4 bottles to the parks in backpack, plus juices leftover from breakfast - nothing quite like a 11 am pickme up after rope drop, and 2 hours of rides

BRiTMiCK wrote on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 19:04:

I think I'm the only person who doesn't mind the water in Orlando. We fill up our bottles from the water fountains all the time. The only time I don't likeninis when it's warm!

Gray wrote on Fri, 02/11/2011 - 20:49:

I had a case of bottled water shipped to me from Costco to my Disney resort for my last trip. It worked like a charm. Very convenient and it lasted the whole week.

Lizzy_B wrote on Sun, 02/13/2011 - 00:27:

Lizzy_B's picture

Just finished with a trip, and I noticed that the tap water is much improved if its cold vs room temperature. Last nite, I got a glass from the tap out of sheer desperation - and it wasn't bad! This morning, I took a sip of the same water and - yep - FL water taste. The only thing I could think of was that the water from the tap had been naturally colder (I'm assuming owing to air temps.) Obviously this isn't a solution for the parks, but if temperature can make the water more palatable, it might save you from buying quite so much bottled water.

DisneyKira wrote on Sun, 02/13/2011 - 08:07:

You can get free (yes, free) ice water in the parks. Just walk up to a QS location and ask a CM for some ice water. Some of this ice water is filtered (I am pretty sure the vendor carts and smaller QS locations do not filter their water). One of the best tasting water (weird, I know) is at the bakery in the Norway pavillion at epcot. Their water is sooo good (and again, free)! Some of the worst water is at the germany QS location. Their water tastes like sauerkraut! I recommend bringing those little flavor packets and adding them to the free ice water if it tastes like it came from a swamp (or from a german condiment).

JeffC wrote on Sun, 02/13/2011 - 14:28:

JeffC's picture

We always have a car available, so we make a stop at CostCo and get a few cases to last us. I also get a few flavor packs (Iced Tea!) so I can mix it up a bit. And Pop-Tarts :)

Kristen H wrote on Sun, 02/13/2011 - 20:20:

Kristen H's picture

Wow, what a bunch of great tips. Cold water always tastes best. (:

Making a mental note to avoid the sauer-water in Germany. hehe.

glenn wrote on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 16:07:

We took a Brita filter pitcher on our last trip. It made the in-room coffee almost good!

Nikki wrote on Sun, 02/27/2011 - 13:59:

Try the Bobble, it has a built-in filter that lasts two months. It can be taken (empty) through airport security, filled up at a water fountain, and tastes like bottled water. It's quite small (they even make a kid's size), and it saves you a ton of money on bottled water (plus it's better for the environment).

Ashley Choo T wrote on Sat, 03/05/2011 - 01:25:

I checked into the Dolphin Resort today, thought about it and filled a glass of water from the tap in my room. Not bad at all. I will advise every Trini that they can drink the tap water.

Amy wrote on Thu, 06/30/2011 - 14:08:

I second Nikki's comment. Any water bottles with built-in filters (I have a Hydros Bottle and my friends have Brita ones) make the water much better. When they're empty, they're really light and you can freeze them to keep them cold.