Hide Out at The Writers Stop

I'm not sure what I love more about this charming little spot is. It's got the perfect atmosphere for an afternoon break, there's a feeling of warmth that you find down at your community bookstore combined with some beautiful Disney merchandise, and some of the best snacks in all of Walt Disney World.

Stop by The Writer's StopStop by The Writer's Stop
Tucked around the corner from the Sci-Fi Drive-in at Disney's Hollywood Studio, the Writers Stop atmosphere is an inviting change of pace to what can sometimes be a bustling day at the park. When you step inside you automatically slow down, it's friendly, everything moves a little slower, and you can relax. Grab a book off the shelf and have a seat in their comfy living room. Look at your right and notice the cozy end table just crying out for you to sit your latte down and stay awhile.

A Haven for Coffee and Tea LoversA Haven for Coffee and Tea Lovers
While you're waiting for the friendly barista to hand craft your espresso beverage, be sure to browse the sweet counter. There's a wide assortment of plus sized goodies, but if you want the one that will knock you socks off, get the Carrot Cake Cookie. This must try snack is two sweet flat carrot cakes, with rich cream cheese frosting marrying them together in a perfect symphony of yum. It's just one snack credit on the dining plan, and the thing is as big as your hand.

The Amazing Carrot Cake CookieThe Amazing Carrot Cake Cookie
Aside from a board assortment of unique Disney books, this gift shop has a wide variety of coffee & tea themed merchandise, as well as general kitchen goods with a Disney touch. Need a new coffee cup? You've got dozens lining the walls from floor to ceiling to choose from. Looking for the perfect housewarming gift for a Disney loving Bride and groom? Writers Stop is your place to pick it out. Every time I walk inside, I always wish I could just tell them to wrap me one of everything.

I'll Take One of Everything PleaseI'll Take One of Everything Please
We want to thank the friendly and hard working folks over at the Disney Food Blog for exclusive use of their pictures of the Writer's Stop. We both share a healthy appreciation for this charming little cafe, it's rich coffee an decadent sweets. Have you stopped in to the Writers Stop? What did you think? Leave a comment for us below and tell us what your favorite part is!

disneydoc wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 09:51:

disneydoc's picture

I love this place! I like to go here after the Muppets. Not only do I adore those carrot cake cookies, I also love the ambiance that you describe. It is a lot like Starbucks, without all the coffee choices. If I am lucky enough to get a seat on a couch or chair, I have a hard time getting up again. Looking forward to visiting it during my November trip.

mrhub wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 12:00:

mrhub's picture

It's a nice place to get out of the heat and they have some great treats.

Michele wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 15:52:

It never fails to amaze me at what I've missed. I have been to Disney so many times and consider myself a veteran. The last few times, I even went at a slower pace and browsed every shop. (or so I thought) Yet I have never been in the store. Well that will have to be rectified on my visit in January. This will be on the top of my "must do" list.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Hardy0109 wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 17:45:

Hardy0109's picture

Kristen! Stop giving away all my secrets! This place is the bomb for sure. Never crowded (unless people are trying to get away from rain), and some of the best snacks in that park. I, however, liked the Chocolate Danish myself. If you're not on the meal plan, it's much cheaper than a cookie and probably bigger. I had one of those and a iced cappuccino for lunch and I was stuffed! Nice article Kristen!

J wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 18:12:

J's picture

I don't think I have found a better place to sit down and have a break.

Belinda wrote on Thu, 08/09/2012 - 20:51:

The carrot cake cookie is my favorite lil (not really "little"!) snack at Disney! My mouth is watering now - thanks for the "yummy" picture of it!

nikamel wrote on Fri, 08/10/2012 - 10:57:

nikamel's picture

This place is amazing!! You forgot to mention the resident sparrows who do
the clean up of the crumbs that are dropped. It is amazing to watch them and how they have adapted to living inside.

Kristen K. wrote on Fri, 08/10/2012 - 13:01:

Michele - You'll love it there! I think one year I bought almost all of my souvenirs there while relaxing and sipping my latte.

Kelli wrote on Fri, 08/10/2012 - 16:43:

This is one of my all time favorite break spots. I actually found it one day as I was trying to finding a respite from the heat and the madness of the rope drop dash to TSM. Large crowds rather terrify me. Fast moving, not above shoving scrawny creatures (like myself) out of the way crowds are not something I can handle. So I took off for parts unknown. I had been trying to get a migraine for days and was feeling rather wretched as I desperately tried to hold it off without having to take pill that would knock me out and waste precious time (on my honeymoon!). I wasn't sure i was going to be able to avoid the knock out time though. This migraine was already feeling BAD and wasn't even full blown yet. I needed a huge hit of caffeine and FAST.

I noticed the Writer's Stop and thought I'd see if they were even open. The door was indeed open, although I'm still not sure they were necessarily "open for business". The CM's were still arranging snacks in the case and getting ready for the day. Perhaps it was my hangdog expression, but I was welcomed in and told to make myself comfortable. A CM even came over and asked if I needed anything. I ordered as "high as legal caffeine hit" and was told to just stay right where I was, she would bring it over. I must have looked overwhelmingly grateful (and ill), b/c not only did a Latte appear, but a muffin as well. "It's on the Mouse" she said and gave me a wink. What a welcome and needed bit of kindness. I have made it a point to visit this hidden gem every single time I am at DHS!

Oh the funny side my hubs, in his most practical way said "I wonder if it was a day old muffin they couldn't sell anway...". Nice babe. Thanks. Just smash my pixie dust out of the air why don't you?! ;)

John wrote on Fri, 08/10/2012 - 17:04:

The Writer's s Stop is a great place to take a break and get good coffee or a snack. The Carrot Cake Cookies are wonderful. Unfortunately for some reaon it is not shown on the Guidemap of Hollywood Studios. I think that is why so many people miss it.

Kristen K. wrote on Sat, 08/11/2012 - 12:38:

I think I'm okay with it being off the map John, it just makes it more special for us!

Rach W wrote on Mon, 08/13/2012 - 16:18:

I too adore the Writer's Stop. I was bummed though that they did a little rearranging & took out the stools & counter in the front window. I loved being able to sit & people watch while my party was off doing ToT.

One thing to note though - during the Holiday Season they take out the comfy chairs to make room for the longer queues that happen when people want hot beverages to see the Osborne Family Lights.

PirateGirl wrote on Sun, 08/26/2012 - 18:27:

This is definitely on my "Disney To Do" list for my trip in October 2013.

Bernie d wrote on Sun, 09/02/2012 - 20:07:

I also have been going to disney for 22 years and have walked by this little gem many times I am going to make a point to stop in on my upcoming trip in Oct. It looks so cute and inviting. thank you for the information.

Diadra13 wrote on Thu, 09/06/2012 - 17:36:

I will have to add this to my list of places to visit on my next trip to Disney, whenever that is. :(

Great web site you have got here.. It's hard to find high-quality writing like
yours these days. I seriously appreciate people like you!
Take care!!

Al wrote on Sun, 03/02/2014 - 23:56:

I too miss the corner window seating.