Original Magic Kingdom attractions

Have you ever wondered about what it was like on opening day of the Magic Kingdom? How magical it would have been! What was there back then?

The Magic Kingdom today is a very different place from what it was 40 years ago when Walt Disney World first opened (can you believe it's been 40 years?!).

Original Magic Kingdom AttractionsOriginal Magic Kingdom Attractions

For those of you who don't remember the park from that long ago, here's a comprehensive list of the attractions that were at the Magic Kingdom on opening day of October 1, 1971.

Main Street, U.S.A.: Main Street Vehicles, Walt Disney World Railroad, Main Street Cinema, Penny Arcade.

Adventureland: Jungle Cruise, Sunshine Pavilion, Swiss Family Treehouse, Tropical Serenade.

Frontierland: Mike Fink Keel Boats, Diamond Horseshoe Review, Frontier Shooting Gallery, Country Bear Jamboree, Davey Crockett's Explorer Canoes.

Liberty Square: Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents.

Fantasyland: Snow White's Adventures (note...NOT scary yet), Mickey Mouse Review, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Mad Tea Party, It's a Small World, and Skyway.

Tomorrowland: Grand Prix Raceway.

[credit: A brief history of the Magic Kingdom and WDWHistory.com]

But for those who think we're missing a few -- there's a catch! Between Opening Day and Dedication Day, the Admiral Joe Fowler River Boat, Peter Pan's Flight, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea were added to the park.

Original Magic Kingdom Attractions From 1971Original Magic Kingdom Attractions From 1971

It's interesting to imagine a very unfinished Tomorrowland -- Disney opened attractions there in a staggered manner over several years. It's also mind-boggling to think of the Magic Kingdom without its trio of mountains -- Splash, Space and Thunder!

Out of this great group of rides and attractions, several are still open today waiting for you at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom. Head on over and read Original Magic Kingdom Attractions You Can Still Enjoy.

What attractions that closed or were updated do you wish still existed in their original form? Let us know in the comments section below!

glenn wrote on Fri, 01/28/2011 - 14:55:

glenn's picture

20,000 leagues under the sea was our favorite on our honeymoon in 1981

Mary wrote on Fri, 01/28/2011 - 15:14:

Mary's picture

20,000 leagues under the sea! I loved that ride as a kid.I wish they at least redesigned like they did at Disneyland.

Jeffrent wrote on Fri, 01/28/2011 - 16:02:

Jeffrent's picture

Thanks for this list! It's interesting to see that Pirates of the Carribean was not an original. I always that it was. So Tomorrowland only had one attraction? Was the rest just corporate displays and such?

JeffC wrote on Mon, 01/31/2011 - 17:54:

JeffC's picture

I know my parents took us right around opening day - I was 8, and the only thing I remember is the Grand Prix Raceway! How sad - I am sure we did everything, but that's the only thing I remember.

Did 20,000 Leagues have big yellow submarines? If so, I think I may recall some of that, but not as clearly as the speedway.

Bud wrote on Sun, 02/24/2013 - 12:36:

Bud's picture

miss 20,000 leagues

Lisa C wrote on Sat, 01/04/2014 - 05:16:

Lisa C's picture

I really miss - If You Had Wings (had wings had wings had wings)

kevin boaden wrote on Mon, 04/28/2014 - 05:31:

kevin boaden's picture

I miss Mr toads wild ride and mission to Mars.

ray win wrote on Tue, 06/09/2015 - 20:07:

ray win's picture

I remember around tom sawyer island you could paddle your canoe

At Epcot they had robot that drew your pictures 1983