Staying Hydrated in the Florida Sun

As the temperatures climb along with the Florida sun in the summer it's more important than ever to some extra precautions while touring the Disney Parks. Heat, humidity and a lot of walking can leave travelers feeling exhausted and under the weather. Making an effort to stay well hydrated will keep you cool, energized, and touring like a pro.

Water is Readily Available in Disney ParksWater is Readily Available in Disney Parks

Many people choose to carry a water bottle along with them and refill it several times during the day. Guests can find ample water fountains on Disney property, and Disney restaurants are required to provide cups of ice water free of charge to those who ask for them. However, many a traveler has commented that they don't care for the taste of Florida tap water. I tend to keep an individual size packet of lemonade mix in my purse so that I can cover up the flavor. If you'd like to purchase bottled water, Dasani brand water can be bought at snack carts and quick service restaurants across the property for about $2.50 or you can use one Dining Plan snack credit.

According to the Mayo Clinic there's no single formula for how much the average adult should drink in a day. However, a good rule to follow is to "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day." It's also worth noting that all fluids count toward the daily total so the pineapple juice in your Dole Whip Float, or your large Frozen Coke with also help you stay hydrated.

Rach W wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 13:40:

Rach W's picture

I highly rec getting a water bottle with a built-in filter. I fill my Brita Soft Squeeze with ice in the morning & top off from fountains during the day. I brought with us a couple roll-up flat bottles for the rest of my family. I'd fill their bottles from my filtered one. Worked great. So much cheaper & less waste than buying bottled water.

BoBo713 wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 14:03:

BoBo713's picture

We always buy bottled water when in the park, I've got a thing about water being ice cold so fresh from a cart/shop works best for me. It also saves me carrying around a bottle, I just make sure to put the bottles in the plastic recycling bins. We normally pick up a case of waters from Walmart etc. for the hotel to drink in the morning and throughout the night. Keeping hydrated definitely helps you enjoy the day and get the most out of the parks. And because Disney have plenty of restrooms, drinking lots is never an issue.

debbie wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 14:17:

debbie's picture

I hate to burst the authors bubble or bubbles in this case but that coke she says counts has caffeine in it and caffeine is a diuretic which actually makes you get rid of water so I would steer clear of that. And anything containing alcohol same thing. I would stick to the water or some of the other offerings without caffeine and sooooo much sugar.

Kristen K. wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 14:31:

No bubble bursted Debbie!

Water is always the best choice, but many medical professionals today say that any fluid is better than no fluid and that it all counts towards your daily total, even soda, tea, and coffee. It is a different point of view from what was being taught a decade ago, but not uncommon today. Expanding further on that concept, according the the article from Mayo Clinic that I linked, 20% of a human's daily fluid intake also comes from food, so increasing your diet with water rich foods also helps you to stay hydrated.

It's impossible to cover all the details an nuances of staying hydrated in a 300 word article, but I did my best to cover the basics and let our readers know where they could get water at Walt Disney World.

Margaret wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 14:41:

Margaret's picture

I too don't care for the taste of FL tap water so I always bring an ample supply of individual flavor packets with me and pack a few each day when I head out. So I'll buy one or two bottles a day instead of 6-8. Also I stick with iced tea instead of soda @ meals to change it up

J wrote on Fri, 05/31/2013 - 17:29:

J's picture

Don't foget Powerade. Helps replace the fluids your body has lost.

DebbieDowner wrote on Sat, 06/01/2013 - 03:55:

DebbieDowner's picture

Debbie -Such an archaic way of thinking. Yes caffeine is a diuretic, yes it still helps to keep you hydrated. Of course water is better than coffee but the body will harvest water wherever it can regardless of it being classed as a diuretic or not.

Ponkool4 wrote on Sat, 06/01/2013 - 04:22:

Ponkool4's picture

On my last trip, I used one Aquafina bottle for the whole week, cutting down on cost and waste. I hate the idea of using a public water fountain, so I always ask for free cups of water at counter service restaurants and food stands.
We used to keep a couple water bottles in a backpack for everyone to use, but sometimes we split up and didn't have any water (Plus I'm sort of weird in that I don't like sharing drinks with people, even with family). However, last time, I kept my water bottle in my pocket (Aquafina works for that because the bottles are small) so that I could easily stay hydrated. WDW is definitely more enjoyable when you're feeling good and not getting dehydrated.

6sixgees wrote on Sat, 06/01/2013 - 15:06:

6sixgees's picture

A high sugar content will also dehydrate a person. We have to be in balance, so if we have a lot of sugar coming in, you need more water. Water, water, and more water.

Novi wrote on Sun, 06/02/2013 - 01:18:

Novi's picture

I'd say that this advice is especially important when waiting in a very long line... I almost passed out the year before last in Disney while waiting in the Test Track line, which tends to move VERY slowly and has very few water fountains inside. When outdoors, it is usually easy to find a source of water, but picking one up before starting the wait in a 2-3 hour line is a good way to avoid a bad situation.

Phil wrote on Mon, 06/03/2013 - 02:34:

Phil's picture

Another important thing to keep in mind- you don't always realize you're thirsty. Starting to get a bit short tempered and testy? Drink down a bottle of water and you'll probably feel a ton better. That Florida sun will dry you out without you even realizing it.

My rule of thumb- if you ain't gotta pee, you ain't drinking enough.

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 06/04/2013 - 01:48:

Phil - That's a fantastic rule of thumb to follow. I thought about putting it into the article but I couldn't figure out how to do it in an elegant manner. LoL!! My husband always says that if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.

Stefanie wrote on Sun, 06/23/2013 - 21:04:

Stefanie's picture

I just bought a hard sided Brita water bottle to bring to the parks. I am trying to figure out a way to attach to me somehow so I don't have to carry it around all day (I don't bring a bad to the parks w/me). I am thinking either using a metal clip to attach it to my belt loop or maybe looking into a hydration belt or pack that the bottle slides into made for runners/bikers.