What Food Says "Holidays" To You?

Login to post comments
22 posts / 0 new
Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246
What Food Says "Holidays" To You?

I am NOT ready to say goodbye to Christmas yet!

So...all of my good intentions to bake this year - gingerbread house, cookies, etc - went by the wayside when both of my children ended up sick during the holidays. I barely got my shopping done - no way were cookies being baked.

But it got me to thinking...is there a food that says "Holidays" to you more than any other? A special meal that you and your family only share on December holidays? Or a cookie or savory treat that you only make this time of year? For us, it was our grandmother's crab dip and sausage balls - this wonderful little cheddar cheese and sausage biscuit that we make every year, without fail, only at Christmas.

What flavors say "holidays" to you and yours?

__________________

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Turkey and Ham are both things we only have on the holidays. We also have a bunch of strange German dishes that we only have around Christmas (Thankfully).

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

dsoup wrote:
Turkey and Ham are both things we only have on the holidays. We also have a bunch of strange German dishes that we only have around Christmas (Thankfully).

HA - I love strange German dishes Smile But seriously...DH isn't much of a traditionalist, so anytime we cook, it's always something new. We did a fresh ham this year - and it was amazing! I'm hoping we can settle him down to this as an annual tradition. It's so rich that once a year is plenty for our cholesterol levels, I'm sure.

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

I have to admit I am having a hard time letting go as well! We took the tree down yesterday & it broke my heart. If we hadn't taken it down yesterday I am certain we would have kept it up until may.

I love so many things during the holidays..elf nipples and peppermint bark are favorites of mine to make. I love my mothers stuffed French toast, lasagna, mandarin orange cake and chocolate peanut clusters. If she doesn't make those I gripe all day long..and I am 29 and far too old to be doing that noise.

__________________

mickey Bella


Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4645

OK Bella I'll ask,???? elf nipples ????

__________________

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

Vettelover wrote:
OK Bella I'll ask,???? elf nipples ????

Haha..I guess that one does deserve and explanation. It's one of those square pretzels with a Hershey kiss melted on top. Once the kiss is melty you push and m&m on top (I use the Christmas colored ones) and refrigerate for a few minutes. They are so so good.

__________________

mickey Bella


Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

Twiglets!

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Pegosaurus wrote:
Twiglets!

Today I learned what Twiglets are! How are they associated with the Holidays?

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

In the UK at Christmas tubs of twiglets seem to be everywhere in all the supermarkets. Also we only ever had them in our house at Christmas when I was growing up, so they remind me of that time. Also, it didn't help that I was eating some leftover Christmas twiglets when I posted that comment Smile They are delicious with a cup of tea. Sometimes I dip them in biggrin

Are they not a popular thing in the US then?

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Pegosaurus wrote:
In the UK at Christmas tubs of twiglets seem to be everywhere in all the supermarkets. Also we only ever had them in our house at Christmas when I was growing up, so they remind me of that time. Also, it didn't help that I was eating some leftover Christmas twiglets when I posted that comment Smile They are delicious with a cup of tea. Sometimes I dip them in biggrin

Are they not a popular thing in the US then?

If they are it's by a different name. I'm trying to figure out what the American equivalent might be. (We like to take things other countries have and rename them and pretend we invented them. It's kind of our thing)

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Bella wrote:
I have to admit I am having a hard time letting go as well! We took the tree down yesterday & it broke my heart. If we hadn't taken it down yesterday I am certain we would have kept it up until may.

I love so many things during the holidays..elf nipples and peppermint bark are favorites of mine to make. I love my mothers stuffed French toast, lasagna, mandarin orange cake and chocolate peanut clusters. If she doesn't make those I gripe all day long..and I am 29 and far too old to be doing that noise.

Ha - love this! Ours is still up! When we first married, it was a big fight - DH wanted it down no later than Jan 1; I like to keep it up for the "12 Days of Christmas" through Jan 6. This year, we're in the middle - more out of necessity. With the way that Christmas fell on a weekend, and the fact that DH didn't get any time off other than Christmas Eve, and ppl were here, and kids were sick...well, I'm getting to enjoy it a little longer.

Pegosaurus wrote:
In the UK at Christmas tubs of twiglets seem to be everywhere in all the supermarkets. Also we only ever had them in our house at Christmas when I was growing up, so they remind me of that time. Also, it didn't help that I was eating some leftover Christmas twiglets when I posted that comment Smile They are delicious with a cup of tea. Sometimes I dip them in biggrin

Are they not a popular thing in the US then?

Peg - this is great, and exactly what I'm talking about! Unlike Bella's elf nipples(Love this!), Twiglets are apparently a completely non-Christmasy thing that have taken on a Christmas vibe because of family tradition. I don't think we have anything here that's precisely the same (judging from the article I just looked at about them on Wikipedia) but of course, we have no shortage of snackie things. I am intrigued that you dip them in tea. Are they sweet? They don't sound like it.

Great, now I'm off to make a cuppa and find some leftover cranberry-walnut biscotti to dunk in it Smile

__________________

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

Lizzy_B wrote:
Bella wrote:
I have to admit I am having a hard time letting go as well! We took the tree down yesterday & it broke my heart. If we hadn't taken it down yesterday I am certain we would have kept it up until may.

I love so many things during the holidays..elf nipples and peppermint bark are favorites of mine to make. I love my mothers stuffed French toast, lasagna, mandarin orange cake and chocolate peanut clusters. If she doesn't make those I gripe all day long..and I am 29 and far too old to be doing that noise.

Ha - love this! Ours is still up! When we first married, it was a big fight - DH wanted it down no later than Jan 1; I like to keep it up for the "12 Days of Christmas" through Jan 6. This year, we're in the middle - more out of necessity. With the way that Christmas fell on a weekend, and the fact that DH didn't get any time off other than Christmas Eve, and ppl were here, and kids were sick...well, I'm getting to enjoy it a little longer.

Pegosaurus wrote:
In the UK at Christmas tubs of twiglets seem to be everywhere in all the supermarkets. Also we only ever had them in our house at Christmas when I was growing up, so they remind me of that time. Also, it didn't help that I was eating some leftover Christmas twiglets when I posted that comment Smile They are delicious with a cup of tea. Sometimes I dip them in biggrin

Are they not a popular thing in the US then?

Peg - this is great, and exactly what I'm talking about! Unlike Bella's elf nipples(Love this!), Twiglets are apparently a completely non-Christmasy thing that have taken on a Christmas vibe because of family tradition. I don't think we have anything here that's precisely the same (judging from the article I just looked at about them on Wikipedia) but of course, we have no shortage of snackie things. I am intrigued that you dip them in tea. Are they sweet? They don't sound like it.

Great, now I'm off to make a cuppa and find some leftover cranberry-walnut biscotti to dunk in it Smile

Haha, no they aren't sweet at all, that's just my wierd taste buds. Their flavour is similar to marmite - do you guys have marmite?

Your biscotti is probably a more normal choice for a tea accompaniment Smile

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

dsoup's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/11/2008
Posts: 2884

Marmite:

Quote:
The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury with umami qualities. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it."

Hrm..."Love it or Hate It" as a slogan...uh oh...

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

Alas...no. But I am intrigued...Hmmm. Off to find some marmite to try. I've heard of it. Does that count for something?

Was TOTALLY thinking of this thread when I had to pick up more tea today at Target!

__________________

Pegosaurus's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/12/2010
Posts: 467

Haha biggrin This thread makes me want to go drink some tea. In fact, I will most certainly go and make one in a minute.

Marmite isn't for everyone. I find I only like it if I use it sparingly - the flavour is very strong.

__________________

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]

JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

Shortbread cookies, panettone, turkey, brown sugar walnut toffee and apple cider in a crockpot.

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

cdub's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Posts: 3220

Brown sugar walnut toffee sounds divine!

Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

JustCar wrote:
Shortbread cookies, panettone, turkey, brown sugar walnut toffee and apple cider in a crockpot.

Um, I'll be right over.

__________________

JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

The recipe for the toffee is in the recipe thread, I have 4 aunts and a Mum that are amazing cooks and they all go a little crazy with the food. muchlove

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

JustCar's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/24/2010
Posts: 1042

The more the merrier, my DH complains for weeks that he's still too full. As well my friends and I do a Christmas Cookie Swap where we all get together and make our fav/interesting holiday sweet recipe, have a couple of drinkie poos and have a wonderful time, as well as getting a variety for holiday guests. We took a box of sweets everywhere we went this holiday to share with everyone.

__________________

Oct 2009 POP
Sept 2011 POP
Oct 2013 Coronado
May 2014 AKL , Magic, AoA Girlie Trip
Oct 2014 CBR Pirate Room Girlie Trip
Nov 2014 DCL Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean, Girlie Trip, POR Royal Guest Suite, GF Concierge
August 2015 DCL Magic 7 Night Mediterranean
October 2015 DL Grand Californian, DCL Wonder Panama Canal

https://www.facebook.com/MsBubbles
https://www.facebook.com/MVTRavel

Bella's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/11/2010
Posts: 3886

This thread did nothing but make me hungry.

__________________

mickey Bella


Lizzy_B's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/25/2010
Posts: 3246

You're welcome. biggrin

__________________