2014 DVC Members Cruise/WDW Trip

Login to post comments
163 posts / 0 new
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555
2014 DVC Members Cruise/WDW Trip

Hello Friends,

I'm about 24 hrs away from the start of my journey to the Most Magical Cruise and Most Magical Place on Earth. It was December last year since we were at WDW, so it felt like a lifetime, considering that we used to go there 3-4 times a year.

This trip will be a bit different in a number of ways. First of all, we will be DRIVING from the Chicago area. There will be 4 of us driving in an SUV. So it should fit all our luggage (fingers crossed). Secondly, we will be doing the DVC Members Cruise aboard the Disney Dream. While we had done Disney Cruises before, this will be our first time doing the DVC Members Cruise. We are very much looking forward to sailing with other Disney freaks... er ... I mean, fans on board this big ship. We will have an extra duffel bag to bring back all the gifts that they promised us during each day of the cruise. We also have a reservation at Palo on one of the nights for dinner, so there is a chocolate souffle with my name on it! Finally, this will be the first time we're doing a Disney Cruise that is not during the Holiday season. So I'm looking forward to seeing the Disney Dream in its "natural" state, without the holiday decorations. Isn't that weird? Smile

We will be driving to Cocoa Beach, spend one night there, before going on our cruise. After the cruise, we will spend 3 days at WDW before driving back home over the Labor Day weekend. As usual, I'll try to do my live reporting whenever I can, but obviously, there won't be much from me while I'm on the cruise, since I don't want to pay for having an internet connection.

I'm still packing, and I also need to make sure I remember to bring Donald, or I'll never hear the end of his complaints about being left behind.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

yay yay yay have a great trip! I can't wait to hear about it, especially the cruise since I've never been one (and never will due to my fear of enclosed spaces on water Puzzled
Have a safe drive tomorrow! And yes, don't forget Donald Wink

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4658

Have a great trip yeah and don't forget Donald or you will never hear the end of his quacking.

__________________

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

Oooo have a great time! We'll be just missing you guys, on our way in as you're on your way out so I'm greatly looking forward to following along with you to countdown my last few days! awesome

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

Allie wrote:
Oooo have a great time! We'll be just missing you guys, on our way in as you're on your way out so I'm greatly looking forward to following along with you to countdown my last few days! awesome

I know! I saw the MrHub's trip spreadsheet and I realized that. Or else, I would have suggested we all meet at Boma! Smile

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

ZapperZ wrote:
Allie wrote:
Oooo have a great time! We'll be just missing you guys, on our way in as you're on your way out so I'm greatly looking forward to following along with you to countdown my last few days! awesome

I know! I saw the MrHub's trip spreadsheet and I realized that. Or else, I would have suggested we all meet at Boma! Smile

Zz.

Mmmmm I would have been so game for that! awesome

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

yay yay How fun! I've always wanted to do a member cruise. Drive safe and have a wonderful time!

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9502

I thought you had done the Members Cruise before Zz? Well anyway, have a great time and GOD NO don't forget Donald!

Offline
Joined: 11/15/2012
Posts: 912

A Zz trip without Donald is unthinkable and completely qwackers, safe drive

__________________

Magic Mirror's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/18/2012
Posts: 2994

It's always a good time for a cruise!!!!! biggrin

JanJ's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/14/2013
Posts: 1681

Enjoy! Looking forward to the cruise pictures!

JoAnn C's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/20/2011
Posts: 6757

have a great time. looking forward to hearing about your trip

__________________

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3849

Excited to hear about your cruise! I can't wait for ours in February!

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

amy1989's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/30/2013
Posts: 1404

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

Have a fantastic time!

alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

Have a great time, ZapperZ! We'll warm-up (well hopefully cool down because the weather sounds miserable right now) WDW for you mickey

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

Thanks, everyone. I'm almost all packed except for a few items here and there. We will be heading out to our friends's place around 11 am, and after a quick lunch, will start our trip.

It's an ominous start to the journey, though. The Chicago area got pounded with a lot of rain the past 12 hours or so. Lots of local flooding. And NOAA has spotted a tropical disturbance that might turn into something around the Caribbean by Monday, which will be the 2nd day of our cruise, and our first stop at Castaway Cay (we will make 2 stops at the delightful island on this cruise). So I'm preparing for not-so-good weather and possibly rough seas on this trip already.

On another note, this DVC Members Cruise will have several pins being released (you should not be surprised that there will be pins involved). The one that I and many of my friends are clamoring for is this one:

It is LE 1000, and there are, what, 4000+ guests on board? All I can say is that when they open the doors to the store after the ship leaves, it will NOT be pretty. There will be a lot of shoving and pushing, I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets pushed overboard! Maybe I should wear a life vest when I do my pin shopping! Smile

Anyhow, have to do finish list of reminders for my housesitter. Will keep you updated on our progress.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4658

You may be packed and ready, BUT is Donald packed and ready?

__________________

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

Vettelover wrote:
You may be packed and ready, BUT is Donald packed and ready?

Donald has been ready since early this morning.

He's puzzled on why we are leaving so late in the day. I haven't told him yet that we're gonna take a road trip, rather than fly, for this one, and that he will have to be stuck in my bag for two days! Do YOU want to tell him that he'll be confined to a stuffy bag for two days? I don't!

So I'm delaying the news until we actually leave. By then, his ranting will be muffled and confined to the back of the vehicle.

BTW, for this cruise, we will be trying for the first time the Disney Cruise app that supposed to work only when you're on the ship. I have it on my iPhone, and you're supposed to put the phone in Airplane mode, but then turn on the Wifi. It is a free connection as long as you access everything through that app. I will still not have access to the internet (so no e-mail and no chance to post my update while I'm on the ship), but I'm supposed to be able to get news and updates about the cruise, and info about the ship. Needless to say, you guys will get my review of it after I try it out.

Still have some stuff to do around the house here, so I better get to it.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Kristen K.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 09/01/2011
Posts: 23803

ZapperZ wrote:

BTW, for this cruise, we will be trying for the first time the Disney Cruise app that supposed to work only when you're on the ship. I have it on my iPhone, and you're supposed to put the phone in Airplane mode, but then turn on the Wifi. It is a free connection as long as you access everything through that app. I will still not have access to the internet (so no e-mail and no chance to post my update while I'm on the ship), but I'm supposed to be able to get news and updates about the cruise, and info about the ship. Needless to say, you guys will get my review of it after I try it out.
.

Awesome! I've been wondering how that works. I can't wait to hear if you find it useful.

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

Bummer about the flooding! Safe travels and we'll keep our fingers crossed for calm seas for you! crossfingers

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2941

Enjoy your trip! awesome

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

We are finally on the road. Probably will overnight in Tennessee. Haven't done this road trip since 1993! I wonder how quickly I get bored.....

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

The Colonel's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/08/2012
Posts: 2941

ZapperZ wrote:
We are finally on the road. Probably will overnight in Tennessee. Haven't done this road trip since 1993! I wonder how quickly I get bored.....

Zz.

start up a game of punch buggy

__________________

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

ZapperZ wrote:
Vettelover wrote:
You may be packed and ready, BUT is Donald packed and ready?

Donald has been ready since early this morning.

He's puzzled on why we are leaving so late in the day. I haven't told him yet that we're gonna take a road trip, rather than fly, for this one, and that he will have to be stuck in my bag for two days! Do YOU want to tell him that he'll be confined to a stuffy bag for two days? I don't!

So I'm delaying the news until we actually leave. By then, his ranting will be muffled and confined to the back of the vehicle.

BTW, for this cruise, we will be trying for the first time the Disney Cruise app that supposed to work only when you're on the ship. I have it on my iPhone, and you're supposed to put the phone in Airplane mode, but then turn on the Wifi. It is a free connection as long as you access everything through that app. I will still not have access to the internet (so no e-mail and no chance to post my update while I'm on the ship), but I'm supposed to be able to get news and updates about the cruise, and info about the ship. Needless to say, you guys will get my review of it after I try it out.

Still have some stuff to do around the house here, so I better get to it.

Zz.

Mister wasn't a fan of being cooped up in a bag either. We borrowed my parents GPS and GPS dash holder. Lets just say the GPS never made it in the holder laugh

PreviewAttachmentSize
driving through the mountains
driving through the mountains376.79 KB
Hitting the Florida border
Hitting the Florida border598.49 KB
Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

We finally broke the news to Donald that we are driving to Florida and that he will have to stay in the bag for two days. Boy oh boy, you should hear the racket that he made. I had to take him out and put him on the dash.

We are now stuck in rush hour traffic going through Indianapolis.

Zz.

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg1.67 MB
__________________

No longer an active member.

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

ZapperZ wrote:
We finally broke the news to Donald that we are driving to Florida and that he will have to stay in the bag for two days. Boy oh boy, you should hear the racket that he made. I had to take him out and put him on the dash.

We are now stuck in rush hour traffic going through Indianapolis.

Zz.

awesome awesome awesome
Is that Donald's buddy with him?

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

We gave him something to pacify him.

We are now driving thru heavy rain outside of Louisville. A bit slow going right now.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

Mandy's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/18/2013
Posts: 2485

Have a safe trip Zapper!

Vettelover's picture
Offline
Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 4658

You know Zz, if you would have packed Daisy in the bag with Donald he probably would not have complained anywhere near as much. laugh rolling laugh

__________________

Offline
Joined: 08/30/2008
Posts: 3555

Vettelover wrote:
You know Zz, if you would have packed Daisy in the bag with Donald he probably would not have complained anywhere near as much. laugh rolling laugh

That will cause a whole other problem. I don't want to open my bag and see a bunch of ducklings with real bad temper.

Zz.

__________________

No longer an active member.

DisneyDee27's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/02/2012
Posts: 1600

Have a great trip!

__________________

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.