2016 Disney trips are getting wrecked left and right!

Login to post comments
9 posts / 0 new
alicemouse's picture
2016 Disney trips are getting wrecked left and right!

I had all of these great opportunities set up to put some miles on my annual pass and factors beyond my control keep changing the landscape of my trip plans.

Originally, I was supposed to have a real estate conference the first week of March. We were taking our nephew to Star Wars Weekend the third weekend of May. Then we were doing the meet-up in October.

Then in September, the director at our gym added the Presidential Classic to the competition schedule for our gymnastics team over President's Day weekend--two weeks before the real estate conference. It's not convenient for me to be out of town twice that close together, but more Disney Days? Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Then we learned that Star Wars Weekends are canceled for the foreseeable future. The May trip is now canceled. Not really too torn up about that other than not getting to go to Disney in May. My brother-in-law has not always been reliable about covering money owed to family and he was supposed to be paying for most of his son's expenses.

This week, I received the news that the Swolphin double booked our conference dates and since we are the smaller conference, ours got bumped. The conference is now March 30-31...the week after EASTER. gaah This wouldn't be the end of the world except for the following considerations:
*My airfare is already booked. Since the dates are now Easter-adjacent, even with extending my trip to have some vacation time and flying Tuesday-Tuesday, it would still cost me $50 more than the awesome $150 roundtrip that I'm sitting on for early March. If Benn joins me on the same schedule we were originally planning, his flights would currently be $150 more RT.
*I FINALLY got a studio on points at Beach Club, a reservation that I cannot replicate for the new dates in April.
*I painstakingly garnered an ADR for dinner at BOG. I don't want to give it up.
*I don't actually want to go to the conference anyway. It was just a good excuse to go to Disney.
*Traveling the week after Easter is very difficult for me. We host Easter dinner for 30 people. I'm usually pretty well wiped out after the ordeal. I'd be gone over my mom's birthday without getting to be at Disney for my birthday (I'd miss it by 2 days).
*I'm annoyed that the Swolphin's response to their scheduling mistake was to change our dates rather than work to accommodate us elsewhere on property. I booked my registration in February. In December there's suddenly a date change? Absurd.
*The conference was actually shortened by a day without any offer of a partial refund to those who already purchased tickets and decide to attend. The only compensation offered if you make the change and attend is that they will move your existing Swolphin reservation to the new dates (well I should hope so) and you can have 20% off food at Swolphin only. Big deal--I've already bought a TiW card for the year.

So I think I'm going to keep my March trip but turn it in to 100% vacation and exercise my option to get a refund on the conference. It's really not convenient for me to travel at the beginning of March now that I'm traveling in mid-February also, but I really like some of the elements of my reservation and we already have an unactivated AP for Benn. If we cancel that trip altogether and don't book anything besides the meet-up, he doesn't need that AP. We talked about doing a trip over his birthday to get more out of our passes, but we're at a serious points deficit right now.

So right now, the meet-up is the only trip next year that's staying nice and steady and doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

NikkiMouse's picture

Oh man! That is all so frustrating! At least you have a couple of trips to look forward to still mickey

The Colonel's picture

I feel your pain

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

crazycatperson's picture

Well...I think you should just plan more trips and get your money's worth out of those APs. And yeah, ditch the conference.

alicemouse wrote:
This week, I received the news that the Swolphin double booked our conference dates and since we are the smaller conference, ours got bumped. The conference is now March 30-31...the week after EASTER. gaah This wouldn't be the end of the world except for the following considerations:
*I'm annoyed that the Swolphin's response to their scheduling mistake was to change our dates rather than work to accommodate us elsewhere on property. I booked my registration in February. In December there's suddenly a date change? Absurd.

I would be very, very upset about this. Shame on them.

Allie's picture

Not cool, Swan/Dolphin. Not cool. But kudos to you for sticking to your plans and making it all vacation. That's really what it's all about, anyway. Isn't it?

alicemouse's picture

Thanks, all. We've gone ahead and justified keeping the March trip as-is. We decided not to add extra days for Benn, so right now I'm on my own. There's a slight possibility that our best friends might join me for the first three days. That's a fluid situation. They're teachers, so their allotted time off during the school year is VERY limited and they have a new baby. He'll be 8 1/2 months then and I adore him, but I'm not sure how much I would love traveling +infant. (I'm not a baby person. They're too fragile. I babysat for an hour the other week and I couldn't wait for mom & dad to get back! I'm better with kids who are 3 & up.) Plus, after the February trip, I might enjoy a little bit of Disney time on my own! laugh

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Magic Mirror's picture

glad things are taking a better turn! I was worried when I started reading it, that something was jeopardizing your October Trip! That has to go thru- No matter what!!! mickey

alicemouse's picture

Magic Mirror wrote:
glad things are taking a better turn! I was worried when I started reading it, that something was jeopardizing your October Trip! That has to go thru- No matter what!!! mickey

Unfortunately, I think that we are probably doing the land portion only. We just spent about an hour and a half looking at the trip from about 16 different angles and because of the AP's and the points that we borrowed from 2017 for the May trip that are now use or lose, I think we will probably be skipping the cruise. We're otherwise getting very little use out of Benn's AP and since we now have more points than we anticipated for the fall trip, we can have more days at WDW. I'm really bummed about missing the cruise, but that seems like the best way to insure that we can do Alaska or Europe on DCL in 2017. The meet up is the same itinerary on the same ship that we just did, so I'd rather put that cruise fare toward seeing a new place or being on a different ship. It was a really tough decision though. It was an awesome cruise and you guys are going to have an absolutely fabulous time!! I'll miss partying with all of my WDWFG friends on the boat, but we'll still get to hang out on land. And by making that sacrifice, I've got a pretty good shot at stepping foot on European soil for the first time in 2017....

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports: