Back to Value October 2016 Trip Report-Days 1-4

Login to post comments
38 posts / 0 new
Spook's picture
Back to Value October 2016 Trip Report-Days 1-4

In just over a month we are headed back to the World for the Big WDWFGU Meetup! yay In fact, since we are driving down, we leave one month from tomorrow! As some of you may know, we are DVC Members but since someone has used up most of our points for Princess Half Marathon Weekend Wink we are returning to the Value Resorts. We are staying at Pop Century from October 14-24. I have to admit I am excited to stay at Pop again. I miss the Values. I love the in your face themeing muchlove

Travelling with me is my husband Erik and of course Mister Penguin and Itty Bitty ( and yes we know we're odd. But hey, some people have kids, some people have pets, we have Mister and Itty laugh ) I am a huge planner and Erik is not at all. But it works fine because I love the planning and he is fine just going along with whatever! Clearly we are made for each other mickey Anyway, this trip I decided to have 2 days with NO plans. So far I've been able to keep them that way but the other days are getting busier eek We were only going to make 3 ADR's and we're now up to 7 laugh I'm really looking forward to this trip though. It's been a very busy summer at work and we've had lots of issues with staff ( the joys of working with students sarcastic ). Plus, we get to meet a bunch of you guys and gals stars Here are what are plans are looking like so far.

October 14 We will probably be arriving later in the afternoon so before we head to Pop, we are going to pick up some groceries at Publix and check out the Disney outlet store. We are also going to have dinner at Sweet Tomatoes because we loved it so much last time ( thanks Robyn biggrin ). Then we'll just chill out in the room.

October 15 Today is Animal Kingdom day! We have FP+ for Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest and the safari. As of now the park is open until 8:30pm so we're hoping to check out the dark side of the park laugh At some point I'll have to do a 3 mile run to keep up with my marathon training.

October 16 Heading to Magic Kingdom today. We have a lunch ADR at the Diamond Horseshoe. I'm very excited for this because I've never seen it open before! FP+ for Buzz, Space Mt and 7DMT. Dinner will be at Contempo Cafe and then we're heading up to the TOTWL for Hallowishes for meet up #1.

October 17 Epcot day! Lunch at the Garden Grill. Garden Grill is a must do for us every trip muchlove We have FP+ for Living with the Land, Frozen and the Character Spot. Dinner will be at the Food and Wine booths. I can't wait for the reviews to start coming out so I can finalize my list.

October 18 Today is one of two days that we have NO plans. Erik is looking forward to it I think. Another 3 mile run will have to happen today though.

October 19 Hollywood Studios. FP+ for Tower of Terror and Toy Story. We might do stand by for the Rockin Roller Coaster. We are doing the Star Wars Fireworks Dessert Party this night. I can't wait!

October 20 Starting out at Animal Kingdom today. FP+ for Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl and Expedition Everest. The evening will be spent at Disney Springs with dinner at Splitsville. It's our first time eating there. Again, I'll have to run 3 miles at some point.

October 21 The second no plans day!

October 22 Tonight is meet up #2 at the TOTWL. I can't wait to try the 7 layer cake awesome We also have brunch reservations at Trails End. Trails End is another must do for us. I'm beyond excited they started weekend brunch as it was very hard trying to decide between breakfast and dinner (both are SO good). Now we get the best of both biggrin We might ankle (or roll) over to MK for a bit afterwards. I've got 5 miles on my training plan today. Seriously, what have I gotten myself in to??

October 23 Epcot day again. Definatly hitting up more Food and Wine Booths. We've got FP+ for Soarin and Spaceship Earth. Tonight we have to pack sad

October 24 Check out day Sad( Not happy about that. But we are having breakfast at Kona Cafe for the first time! I'm thinking of trying the Tonga Toast. Then we'll head to MK. Might even make it for rope drop crossfingers We have FP+ for 7DMT, Splash Mt and Haunted Mansion. We have a lunch ADR at LIberty Tree Tavern because I need the ooey gooey toffee cake. Then we are headed back home. Boo! But we'll be back in January and I'll be back in February also mickey

danijrod's picture

Sounds like a good trip! Hope you have a lovely time Smile

Kristen K.'s picture

yay Sounds like such fun!

Allie's picture

Spook wrote:
I am a huge planner and Erik is not at all. But it works fine because I love the planning and he is fine just going along with whatever! Clearly we are made for each othe mickey Anyway, this trip I decided to have 2 days with NO plans. So far I've been able to keep them that way but the other days are getting busier eek We were only going to make 3 ADR's and we're now up to 7 laugh

This is totally Jon and I! And I feel you on the plans. I always say I'm going to take it easier on the next trip and then more ADRs and must do's just creep up. I don't have any idea how it happens Wink

The Colonel's picture

Looks like a great plan. As long as you are open on 10/21, don't forget about Jelly Rolls!

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

disneydoc's picture

Fun! I love Disney in the Fall. muchlove

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

JanJ's picture

Have fun! We thought about driving down for our upcoming trip but flying is so much faster! wink

Too bad we'll miss the big meet-up. You'll have to take lots of pictures. awesome

JMed's picture

Allie wrote:
Spook wrote:
I am a huge planner and Erik is not at all. But it works fine because I love the planning and he is fine just going along with whatever! Clearly we are made for each othe mickey Anyway, this trip I decided to have 2 days with NO plans. So far I've been able to keep them that way but the other days are getting busier eek We were only going to make 3 ADR's and we're now up to 7 laugh

This is totally Jon and I! And I feel you on the plans. I always say I'm going to take it easier on the next trip and then more ADRs and must do's just creep up. I don't have any idea how it happens Wink

Us too!!! I always plan down days but it never happens!!!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

JoAnn C's picture

Can't wait!

Spook's picture

Allie wrote:
Spook wrote:

I know right? I need to stay off the Food Blog and pretty much all Disney sites I guess laugh

The Colonel wrote:
Looks like a great plan. As long as you are open on 10/21, don't forget about Jelly Rolls!

We will keep that in mind! biggrin

disneydoc wrote:
Fun! I love Disney in the Fall. muchlove

Me too! Fall is my favourite season. I love the colours!

JanJ wrote:
Have fun! We thought about driving down for our upcoming trip but flying is so much faster! wink

Too bad we'll miss the big meet-up. You'll have to take lots of pictures. awesome

Flying is definatly faster! But I do like the drive. Plus I can bring back more awesome Bummer you guys miss the meetup. Perhaps you should just extend your trip!

JMed wrote:
Allie wrote:
Spook wrote:

Us too!!! I always plan down days but it never happens!!!

I'm shocked our down days still exist! Still a month to go though laugh

JoAnn C wrote:
Can't wait!

Me either! yay

Spook's picture

At this time in exactly 3 weeks, we'll be hanging out at Pop Century yay

oHIo's picture

Spook wrote:

And we will be at Wilderness Lodge!! (For one night before we move to Beach Club!)

Getting ready for the Great Meet Up!

clapping yay clapping yay clapping

JoAnn C's picture

oHIo wrote:
Spook wrote:

And we will be at Wilderness Lodge!! (For one night before we move to Beach Club!)

Getting ready for the Great Meet Up!

clapping yay clapping yay clapping

Three weeks from now, I'll be sitting on my couch thinking I should go to bed since I'll be getting up early for my flight the next morning. I know I won't be able to sleep from all the excitement!

clapping clapping clapping clapping

JMed's picture

3 weeks from today I will be ready for dinner with the Big Fall Meet Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah banana banana banana banana banana

Spook's picture

Were back home Puzzled I guess it's nice to be home but I miss Disney lol
Trip report will be coming soon

JanJ's picture

Spook wrote:
Were back home Puzzled I guess it's nice to be home but I miss Disney lol
Trip report will be coming soon

Glad you made it home safely. Looking forward to your trip report. biggrin

JoAnn C's picture

It was nice seeing you and Erik again

Spook's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
It was nice seeing you and Erik again

It was nice seeing you again too! mickey

Spook's picture

Ok I'm finally going to start this report! yay

Travel Time.
We drove this time around. It's about a 24 hour drive from where we live so we spend two nights on the road. Our first day was a shorter day. We left home around 10:00am and arrived in Niagara Falls around 3:00pm. We had a room booked at the Hampton Inn ( my favourite hotel chain). We had dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. Food was really good, service was just ok. Dessert was at the Hershey Store! Everytime we are in Niagara Falls I have to get a Hershey milkshake biggrin We also had a Reese cookie. Both were delicious. After dinner we walked back to the hotel ( which was much farther away than we thought. 2 Miles each way!) and grabbed a coffee (Erik) and tea (me) and relaxed in the room.

After breakfast at the Hampton, we hit the road around 7:30am. We had no issues crossing the border. The guy thought it was hilarious that we are Erik and Erica laugh We got stuck in traffic for about an hour in West Virginia but other than that, the drive was good. We stopped in Rock Hill SC but my beloved Hampton was booked solid and everything else nearby was pretty pricey so we grabbed a Papa John's pizza and headed to Columbia SC, arriving around 11pm. Sadly the Hampton here was also sold out so we ended up at the Sleep Inn across the road ( in the last available room). I think we may have stayed there before.

We were back on the road by 8am the next morning. We were excited because tonight we'd be at Pop Century! We stopped at a DQ so I could try the apple pie Blizzard ( we only get the pumpkin pie here in Canada). I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Pumpkin is better. We stopped at the Florida Welcome to get our OJ and this time it was open! The last two times it's been closed. Once we got there at 5:15pm and they closed at 5pm and the next time they were closed because it was New Years day. We were about an hour in I4 traffic which wasn't too bad. I think rush hour was just starting so it could've been alot worse. First stop was the premium outlets at Vineland to check out the Disney character warehouse. Then we headed for dinner at Sweet Tomatoes. We first tried Sweet Tomatoes this past January after hearing Robyn talk about it and we loved it! We had been so excited to go back and then about 2 weeks before our trip, they filed for bankruptcy eek A lot of locations have closed but luckily not the orlando ones! We had a great meal and I really hope it's still open when we go back this coming January crossfingers After dinner we finally headed over to Pop. We were in the 50's section which we had requested. We were extremely full but managed to unpack before crashing into bed.

PreviewAttachmentSize
090.jpg
090.jpg2.38 MB
091.jpg
091.jpg2.07 MB
092.jpg
092.jpg1.84 MB
096.jpg
096.jpg2.33 MB
098.jpg
098.jpg1.8 MB
Spook's picture

Sweet Tomatoes

PreviewAttachmentSize
113.jpg
113.jpg2.26 MB
114.jpg
114.jpg2.03 MB
116.jpg
116.jpg2.22 MB
117.jpg
117.jpg2.18 MB
118.jpg
118.jpg2.09 MB
120.jpg
120.jpg2.51 MB
122.jpg
122.jpg1.97 MB
JMed's picture

You should have just drove another hour to Charleston and stayed with us! biggrin

I had one of those big Hershey bars years ago, I don't even know what happened to it...

Can't wait to hear more!

Allie's picture

Excited for this trip report! I wish we had the patience (and the time off work) to drive. I love a good road trip!

Spook's picture

JMed wrote:
You should have just drove another hour to Charleston and stayed with us! biggrin

I had one of those big Hershey bars years ago, I don't even know what happened to it...

Can't wait to hear more!

Awww we could've had a pre meet up, meet up laugh

Lol did you not eat the chocolate bar? eek

JMed's picture

Spook wrote:
JMed wrote:

Can't wait to hear more!

Awww we could've had a pre meet up, meet up laugh

Lol did you not eat the chocolate bar? eek

Some of it, for sure not all of it!!! waiting

crazycatperson's picture

I can't imagine driving three days to get to Disney World. You guys are dedicated for sure.

Spook's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
I can't imagine driving three days to get to Disney World. You guys are dedicated for sure.

I love the drive. It takes way longer but I find it fun and relaxing. Plus we can try restaurants that we don't have in Canada awesome

Spook's picture

Day 1

Slept in today after long days on the road. We relaxed a bit then headed to Animal Kingdom around 2:30pm. We wandered around a bit and did some shopping before watching Finding Nemo. Next we did our fastpasses for Everest and the Safari. The animals were very active and we got really close to a giraffe and a zebra. We also finally got to see the lions out and about! We had dinner at Flame Tree BBQ and split the chicken and ribs combo and onion rings. I LOVE the onion rings! The rest of our meal was good also.

After dinner we wandered around some more waiting for it to get dark so we could do the night safari. We enjoyed the night safari. Some animals were hard to see but it was still pretty cool. I love Animal Kingdom at night. I remember going a few years ago when they had evening extra magic hours. I enjoyed it then but it's even better now that they've added nighttime entertainment. Speaking of which, the Tree of Life Awakening was really cool! I loved the little stories. I also loved the low crowds at night. The park was pretty busy in the afternoon but cleared out quite a bit. We left the park at closing and our bus was only half full!

When we got back to the resort, we checked out the gift shop and food court since we hadn't had a chance the previous night. Then we headed back to our room for tea.

Spook's picture

A few pics from day 1

PreviewAttachmentSize
131.jpg
131.jpg2.83 MB
135.jpg
135.jpg2.71 MB
137.jpg
137.jpg3.31 MB
143.jpg
143.jpg878.12 KB
146.jpg
146.jpg951.44 KB

Spook wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:

I love the drive. It takes way longer but I find it fun and relaxing. Plus we can try restaurants that we don't have in Canada awesome

I know what you mean about the restaurants. My faves are Red Roof, Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Denny's......

MrHub's picture

Cracker Barrel is the bomb! That's pretty much where we stop for breakfast, lunch & dinner the way down.

danijrod's picture

Really enjoying your trip report. The milkshake and Hershey's bar look amazing!