Best Vacation Ever...Trip report 2014...

Login to post comments
146 posts / 0 new
The Watchmaker's picture

The Colonel wrote:
The Watchmaker wrote:
The Colonel wrote:
I bought one of those Codas in the Canada Pavilion. They are irresistible.

Was that song from the All American Boy album? Wow, that was a long time ago.

Why do you think it will be your last trip?

Spot on..I remember buying a solo album by my ( then ) guitar hero Mick Ronson entitled " Slaughter on 10th Avenue " ( David Bowies right hand man ) Anyway a friend that day in the same record shop bought " All American Boy " by Rick Derringer and he gave a loan of it to me..Loved it and bought many more of Ricks albums,Tho that one was a classic..I'd guess at 1973...Ok now to your question about my last trip..Last year my health wasn't doing great and I was about to be operated on and of course I'am thinking, here we go, it's the end of the line..Turns out the medication I was giving was agravating the problem and after a slow recovery,things began to look up..So here Iam " Still alive and well " ..( another derringer quote ) lol.

Going way OT here: I met Rick Derringer at the old Fillmore East, it was called the Palladium at that time. He was very gracious to me (a stoned out star-struck kid). I loved him from his work with Johnny Winter (another hero of mine.)

Love Mick Ronson- with Bowie, Lou Reed, Morrissey. Didn't he do a stint with Mott the Hoople?

I'm glad your health is looking up.

Yes..He joined Mott for a very short stint..Then they split and he formed " Hunter/Ronson " band with Ian Hunter..I was at the after gig party..Excuse my style in the photo, but it was 1975..

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg71.91 KB
The Colonel's picture

That's precious. Yeah, you look like you could have used another inch or two in the sleeves. awesome

That guy created some of the most memorable riffs ever.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

The Watchmaker's picture

The Colonel wrote:
That's precious. Yeah, you look like you could have used another inch or two in the sleeves. awesome

That guy created some of the most memorable riffs ever.

Lol....Agree...His solo on Moonage Daydream was awesome..

jhugo's picture

Amazing trip report!!! Looks like your trip was a success. I am adding the Plaza and Jiko to my list of restaurants to try next visit.

designedbydisney's picture

Watchmaker I loved reading this, and after all your planning I'm so happy for you and your family that it was so magical. I hope and doubt this will be your farewell trip I know in my heart you will be back, I also hope until you return you stick around on the forum. And don't go missing while you are not planning. You are a fire disney friend. Well done my son!

The Watchmaker's picture

designedbydisney wrote:
Watchmaker I loved reading this, and after all your planning I'm so happy for you and your family that it was so magical. I hope and doubt this will be your farewell trip I know in my heart you will be back, I also hope until you return you stick around on the forum. And don't go missing while you are not planning. You are a fire disney friend. Well done my son!

Wow...Thanks for your kind words.I love this site and feel like I've found my family of disney friends..( even tho my memory goes wonky ) But ive been in awe from the photos from DHS of the xmas lights...Now Iam starting to plan for 2016 and want to make sure I get the xmas feeling...So Iam thinking of a November vacation....Questions coming soon.. awesome

JMed's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
designedbydisney wrote:

Wow...Thanks for your kind words.I love this site and feel like I've found my family of disney friends..( even tho my memory goes wonky ) But ive been in awe from the photos from DHS of the xmas lights...Now Iam starting to plan for 2016 and want to make sure I get the xmas feeling...So Iam thinking of a November vacation....Questions coming soon.. awesome

YAY! You will love them... I was just looking up mouth wide open and giggling the whole time! They are quite the site to see! I am so glad we lucked up seeing them. I planned our park days months ago and opening day happened to be the day we were in HS. Talk about dancing around the house! I am quite confident that there will be some magic coming your way and you will be back safe in the bubble before you know it!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

JoAnn C's picture

great trip report. you should definitely plan a trip to the World to see the Christmas decorations.

disneydoc's picture

Another vote for late November. awesome

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

Well dang it, why did your trip have to end?! BOO!

Great report, thanks for sharing so much of it with us. And for food pics! YAY!

If at all possible, a visit with all the Christmas decorations is truly an awe-inspiring memory. I really hope you and the fam get to do it.

The Watchmaker's picture

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and your thoughts about a festive vacation...Well it won't be until 2016, but I've already started saving and have a rough target of how much we need..Unsure what the best time would be..I was thinking middle of November maybe..I think I'll have to ask you santa visitors your opinions... awesome

Magic Mirror's picture

I am soooooooooo happy it turned out to be even more magical than you had envisioned!! muchlove

amy1989's picture

I'm in agreement with designedbydisney don't disappear on us!!! I think we are on the same wavelength we are thinking of a festive trip in the next few years (not next year that baby is already booked!) but how do we do MNSSHP, MVMCP, food and wine and all the xmas decorations

the answer - move to florida!!!!!!!

I have enjoyed your report so much and cant wait for the planning for the next trip!

The Watchmaker's picture

amy1989 wrote:
I'm in agreement with designedbydisney don't disappear on us!!! I think we are on the same wavelength we are thinking of a festive trip in the next few years (not next year that baby is already booked!) but how do we do MNSSHP, MVMCP, food and wine and all the xmas decorations

I have enjoyed your report so much and cant wait for the planning for the next trip!

Move to Florida..Don't tempt me..I have in the past checked out property agents and villas in Kissamee.. :eek:Very reasonable But you wanna know something...I think staying on the doorstep wouldn't be as magic as staying so far away...My sister in law lives in Los Angeles and is 15 mins from DL....Its been years since she visited it with her kids..Anyway to your other question..I talked about our trip this year with my good lady and we both agreed that even if we went during Halloween again, we wouldn't do the MNSSHP again..And I wouldn't be upset if we missed out on the F&W festival..Now Christmas is completely different..Its the most wonderful time of the year..( Theres a song in there ) We would definitely do MVMCP...I once told a friend that visiting WDW is a bit like visiting Santa in his grotto...You gotta believe.. wink

amy1989's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
amy1989 wrote:

Move to Florida..Don't tempt me..I have in the past checked out property agents and villas in Kissamee.. :eek:Very reasonable But you wanna know something...I think staying on the doorstep wouldn't be as magic as staying so far away...My sister in law lives in Los Angeles and is 15 mins from DL....Its been years since she visited it with her kids..Anyway to your other question..I talked about our trip this year with my good lady and we both agreed that even if we went during Halloween again, we wouldn't do the MNSSHP again..And I wouldn't be upset if we missed out on the F&W festival..Now Christmas is completely different..Its the most wonderful time of the year..( Theres a song in there ) We would definitely do MVMCP...I once told a friend that visiting WDW is a bit like visiting Santa in his grotto...You gotta believe.. wink

If I find myself a hubby who just happens to live there would be rude to make him move here?! hahahaha

I know I think you are right!!! but imagine "I've had a bad day at work - lets go watch wishes!!!!" haha
I could miss MNSSHP if money was an issue but I have unfinished business with the F&W festival we need round 2!!! if we swing a xmas trip MVMCP would win over MNSSHP i think we might have to look into it for 2016 - we might see you there!!!

The Watchmaker's picture

Lol....I did enjoy the foodie festival, Tho not at the weekend ( big mistake ) And we also had a ball at the MNSSHP but I think it would be De ja Vu ( is that the correct spelling ) to do it again....Anyway time for a xmas question with a new thread..

Allie's picture

Great trip report, Watchmaker! I really enjoyed reading it! awesome

Spook's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and your thoughts about a festive vacation...Well it won't be until 2016, but I've already started saving and have a rough target of how much we need..Unsure what the best time would be..I was thinking middle of November maybe..I think I'll have to ask you santa visitors your opinions... awesome

As long as you avoid Thanksgiving week you should be good awesome
We were there at this time last year and really enjoyed it. I love MVMCP. We're already booked for September 2015 but I'm thinking we're due for a Christmas trip after that mickey

JMed's picture

We left on the 8th and there were some decorations up in MK and the Osborne Lights in HS started on the 7th. I've not been Christmas time so I would think by the middle of November they should be in full swing???

Great report!!!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

93boomer's picture

Great trip report!! Enjoyed it very much!! Glad you are thinking about a return trip!! clapping

crazycatperson's picture

Just now getting caught up on your trip report after spending the last two weeks preparing for and enjoying our own trip.

We have Artists Point on our next trip, never been before, and your Day 9 review makes it sound great, although it will be hard for me to choose between the salmon and the buffalo. But perhaps less difficult since I think I see mac & cheese under that buffalo. Ewww, cheese, yuck.

Did you really eat that whole 18 ounce steak all at once? No take-home container?

Love that 70s photo. Dang, reminds me of when I (we) were young and silly. Long, long time ago. (Okay, I admit I'm still silly.)

Do come for the holiday season next time. Mid-November will give you the Osborne lights at DHS, MVMCP at MK, and at least some of the holiday decorations elsewhere, and should enable you to miss the USA Thanksgiving holiday crowds. Early December and you'll miss both the Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds and you'll also get all the Epcot holiday events.

The Watchmaker's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
Just now getting caught up on your trip report after spending the last two weeks preparing for and enjoying our own trip.

We have Artists Point on our next trip, never been before, and your Day 9 review makes it sound great, although it will be hard for me to choose between the salmon and the buffalo. But perhaps less difficult since I think I see mac & cheese under that buffalo. Ewww, cheese, yuck.

Did you really eat that whole 18 ounce steak all at once? No take-home container?

Love that 70s photo. Dang, reminds me of when I (we) were young and silly. Long, long time ago. (Okay, I admit I'm still silly.)

Do come for the holiday season next time. Mid-November will give you the Osborne lights at DHS, MVMCP at MK, and at least some of the holiday decorations elsewhere, and should enable you to miss the USA Thanksgiving holiday crowds. Early December and you'll miss both the Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds and you'll also get all the Epcot holiday events.

It was buffalo chipped Mac and Cotswald cheese...It wasn't over powering as there was Apple slaw as well but my DW salmon was delish...And yes, I managed the 18 Oz Kansas,but I reckon 2 Oz was the weight of the bone..LOL....

Ms.Mouse's picture

That was wonderful reading about your adventures! My DD and I were supposed to be there next week but she did the responsible thing and got an internship during her last semester of college.... so we are rebooked for the same week next year. Now you have given me some great places to add into our trip! yay

Ms.Mouse's picture

Oh and all the pictures are fabulous! clapping

The Watchmaker's picture

Ms.Mouse wrote:
Oh and all the pictures are fabulous! clapping

Thanks... awesome