JoAnn's November 2012 Trip Report

Login to post comments
60 posts / 0 new
JoAnn C's picture
JoAnn's November 2012 Trip Report

Day 1
I got up earlier than planned for the day of my flight to clean off my car and allow for extra time driving to the airport. It was still snowing from the nor'easter that hit the day before. I arrived at the airport, checked my suitcase, went through security and put on my Minnie ears. While waiting to board my flight, I talked to a couple of ladies who were going down for the weekend to attend the New Fantasyland annual pass holder preview. The one lady had two confirmation numbers for the preview and was going to give me one but wasn't sure if one was valid. It was nice of her to offer. After what seemed like an eternity, we finally boarded the plane and took off. It was an uneventful flight. I tried to sleep but was too excited to. We arrived at MCO 20 minutes early, and I was soon on my way to Pop Century.

After check-in, I dropped my carry-on bag in my room and head to Art of Animation for lunch. My room was in the 60's section near the Generations Gap Bridge.

Chicken Burger

After lunch, I took a walk through the different sections of Art of Animation.

After I finished exploring AoA, I headed to Downtown Disney. My first stop was Goofy's Candy Company to see my cousin who works there. I was told she was setting up their booth for the Festival of the Masters.

I set off trying to find her stopping in the various stores and for photo ops along the way.

The next thing you know I was on a boat to Port Orleans French Quarter. What a beautiful resort.

After spending time at POFQ, I headed back to DTD and wondered around some more. I was starting to get hungry again so I got a sandwich at EoS.

Hawaiian BBQ

After eating and an unsuccessful attempt at trying to find my cousin, it was time to call it a day and head back to Pop. I walked to the bus area and what was the first thing I saw... a bus to Wilderness Lodge. Yes, I got on it.

I finally returned to Pop. My suitcase was there when I got to my room. I hung up my clothes and decorated my window. This picture was taken the morning of my last day.

Stay tuned for day 2.

disneydoc's picture

GREAT TR JoAnn! So I am feeling so slack for not having a decent TR this past trip. I was SO tired at the end of each day that I did not do my evening or AM recount on the computer, and by the time I had a week of Disney fun, I forgot what order I did what in! (that is some good grammar there, eh Ollie?)

for my April trip I will 1. Take my camera, and 2. do an evening or AM recount so this aging brain can remember.

mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

JoAnn C's picture

Day 2 part 1

I woke up early Friday morning to get my new room key (I had a room only reservation for Thursday night) and start the day. After getting my key I picked up my resort mug and got a cup of the fantastic Disney coffee. laugh

My friend and her husband had been at Pop since Wednesday, so I tracked them down and we had breakfast together. We made our plans to meet up at Epcot for the "Great Whiskey Debate" seminar at the F&W Festival that afternoon.

I was on my way to Epcot. I rode Finding Nemo and Living with The Land. I picked up a FP for Soarin' and walked over to Journey into the Imagination. I walked through Epcot waiting for World Showcase to open so I can start eating around the world.

First stop Hawaii.

Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise

Greece was next on my list to try the Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey. I was looking forward to trying this, but in the end I was disappointed. I think I would have liked it better if it was right off the griddle. You know how a grilled cheese sandwich tastes after it cools down, it's just not the same as it is right out of the pan.

My journey around the world took me to New Zealand where I tried the Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney. The meatball was good, but I didn't care for the chutney.

I ventured to Morocco next. I was going to get the Kefta Pocket which was one of my favorites from previous trips. I decided to try this chicken roll thing. Can't remember what it is called and it's not listed on the menu. Score another favorite from Morocco.

I took a couple of pictures before venturing my way to Florida to try the White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad.

I stopped to watch the Fife and Drum corp perform and made my way to Italy for the last F&W festival booth for the day.

Ravioli di Formaggio All'emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli, Creamy Beef Bolognese, Parmesan, Mozzarella)

I needed to quench my thirst and the Rosa Regale did the trick.

It was time to start heading over to the Festival Welcome Center to meet up with my friends for the seminar. I had time to take a picture with my favorite princess.

And take a few pictures of the "golf ball".

To be continued.....

JoAnn C's picture

Day 2 part 2

I made it to the Welcome Center, and we were soon seated for the seminar.

The presenters represented America, Canada, Ireland and Scotland. Each discussed their process in making whiskey or Scotch. It was very interesting to learn the difference. During the seminar, questions were supposedly asked through a live Twitter feed. You'll see why I worded it this way in a minute.

The first question was asked of the American representative (he was from Jim Beam). The question was "what does Jim Beam do to support the U.S Military?" Good question. He talked about how they sponsor charities that support families of troops serving overseas. The question for the Canadian representative was "how does Canadian Club help the U.S economy?" Huh? The American distilleries only use the barrels once and are sold to distilleries in other countries. So Canadian Club helps the U.S. economy by buying the barrels. They are also owned by Jim Beam. The Irish representative was asked about Global Warming. Really??? And the Scottish rep was asked about U.S. health care. Understand now? I wasn't the only one in the room who didn't think these questions were random.

After the seminar, we made plans to meet up at the Brown Derby for dinner. We originally were going to eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe, but my friend's husband wanted to eat the Brown Derby. This was his first visit to the World and the only thing he asked to do. I didn't mind as this is one of my favorite restaurants.

I used my FP for Soarin'. I was debating whether to go back to Pop for a bit before dinner. I decided by the time I got there it would not be much longer before I had to turn around and leave again. I walked through Epcot some more and bought some F&W souvenirs which were half price and had them sent back to the resort. I walked to the International Gateway to get the boat to DHS.

When I got to DHS, I saw the Little Mermaid show and road the Great Movie Ride (gangster version) while waiting for my friends. They arrived and we got checked in at the restaurant. We didn't have long to wait before we were seated.

Margarita Flight

Cobb Salad

Charred Filet of Beef over a Zellwood Corn and Pancetta Risotto, Arugula Pesto, and Pickled Rainbow Carrots

Grapefruit cake

After dinner we headed back to the resort. They had an early flight the next morning.

Great report and pics.

Keep it coming.

JoAnn C's picture

thanks disneydoc and BuffaloBill.

Kris1971's picture

Hooray, you got your grapefruit cake. I have yet to try it, but I do love grapefruit, so I'm sure I'd love it. Great TR. Keep it coming!

JoAnn C's picture

Kris1971 wrote:
Hooray, you got your grapefruit cake. I have yet to try it, but I do love grapefruit, so I'm sure I'd love it. Great TR. Keep it coming!

thanks Kris. You should trythe grapefruit cake. It is soooooooooooooo good.

Great report JoAnne. Can't wait to read more of your trip.

disneydoc wrote:
GREAT TR JoAnn! So I am feeling so slack for not having a decent TR this past trip. I was SO tired at the end of each day that I did not do my evening or AM recount on the computer, and by the time I had a week of Disney fun, I forgot what order I did what in! (that is some good grammar there, eh Ollie?)

for my April trip I will 1. Take my camera, and 2. do an evening or AM recount so this aging brain can remember.

mickey

That would be "gooder grammar" . . . laugh

And what a great report! That beef filet at BD sure looks good!

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

MrHub's picture

Great report Joann!

JoAnn C's picture

Thanks PirateGirl, Ollie and mrhub.

disneydoc's picture

I must have some of that grapefruit cake. Did I hear some of you say that I can get this outside of the Brown Derby, perhaps at Starring Rolls? Am I dreaming? I cannot see doing an ADR just for cake.... mickey

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
I must have some of that grapefruit cake. Did I hear some of you say that I can get this outside of the Brown Derby, perhaps at Starring Rolls? Am I dreaming? I cannot see doing an ADR just for cake.... mickey

As far as I know you can get it only at the Brown Derby. The ADR would be worth it.

MrHub's picture

disneydoc wrote:

No if you do that, you have to have a Martini too Doc!

JoAnn C's picture

mrhub wrote:
disneydoc wrote:

No if you do that, you have to have a Martini too Doc!

awesome

JoAnn C's picture

Day 3
First thing on the agenda for day three was an ADR at Cape May Cafe. I spotted these balloons while waiting for the bus.

I took the bus to DHS and planned on taking the boat for the resort. I wasn't sure if the boats were running so I allowed enough time to walk if needed. The bus driver asked if anyone had breakfast reservations. He told me to stay on, and he would drive me over to the Beach Club. My ADR was at 8:00, and I arrived around 7:30. I walked around the resort for a few minutes before checking in.

I had the best waitress, Dorothy. She was awesome.

She took my picture with all the characters, and I didn't even need to ask. She was never far from my table when the characters came around.

My first plate. There's no better way to start the day than with Mickey waffles.

After lunch it was back to Epcot. I went on Universe of Energy. I thought I was going to be on the ride myself when I first got there. There were 11 of us total. After the ride I stopped to watch these guys perform. I can't remember their name but they were fun to watch.

I wondered over to World Showcase to wait for it to open. I saw a sign the day before saying it was opening at 10:30. I talked to a CM for a few minutes before it opened.

I saw the American Adventure show. I love the flags on the way to the theater.

The Christmas tree was up at the American Pavilion.

I walked through the Japan pavilion which I hadn't done in past trips.

I hit a couple more F&W booths for lunch.

Germany - Schinken Nudel (Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese)

Scandinavia - Swedish Meatballs with Lingonberries

Caribbean - Ropa Vieja with Cilantro Rice

Desserts and Champagne " Dessert Trio (Yogurt Panna Cotta with Orange Cake, Raspberries and Pomegranate, Lemon Custard Verrine with Blueberry Compote and Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel). My favorite was the lemon custard.

After I finished dessert, I hopped over to DHS to see if I could meet Jessi. I caught her at the right time. She was directing traffic for the upcoming parade. We chatted for a couple of minutes. I rode Star Tours twice (awesome ride!)

I went back to Pop to relax a little before making my way to Ft. Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Loved the show. The food was good too.

Salad and corn bread

Mashed potatoes, beans, chicken, ribs and strawberry shortcake.

A few shots from the show.

I liked that they had buses back to the resorts after the show. I would go to the show again.

Kristen K.'s picture

JoAnn C wrote:
disneydoc wrote:

As far as I know you can get it only at the Brown Derby. The ADR would be worth it.

From what I understand you can order the cake at the podium "To Go"

Allie's picture

Margarita flight?! Yes please! Your chicken burger from AoA looked really good, too! Great TR so far!

MrHub's picture

Joann, we have had Dorothy as a our server several times, she is great!

Jess's picture

Great trip report so far Smile

disneydoc's picture

thank you Kristen! I will be trying that next trip. I need some grapefruit cake. (now would be nice) mickey

JoAnn C's picture

Day 4

This morning I had an early ADR with the princesses! I took the bus to MK and arrived around 7:30. There was a bit of confusion at the turn styles that morning. There were people in line for early breakfasts, the New Fantasyland annual pass holder preview and Keys to Kingdom Tour. They had two lines designated for them but both were marked as "Event Entrance". We were finally allowed to enter the park.

I was able to get a pre-opening castle pic.

I walked through the castle to Cinderella's Royal Table.

I was quite giddy when I was called inside.

Posing with royalty

I was seated by the window and had a great view of Fantasyland.

Assorted pastries

Cream Cheese stuffed French toast

Side note: with all the food pictures I'm thinking of adding a subtitle to the trip report. Something like "The Great Food Tour 2012".

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

My view

After breakfast I walked over to the New Fantasyland area to see if they were having a dress rehearsal. No such luck.

I rode It's a Small World and then returned to Pop to meet up with my friends who were arriving that morning.

I couldn't have timed it any better. They arrived by DME about 5 minutes after I got there. Their room wasn't ready when they checked in. They dropped off their stuff in my room and we relaxed by the pool for the afternoon.

It was soon time to head over to DHS for dinner at 50's Prime Time. We had time to ride ToT before our ADR.

No pictures of dinner. I forgot to take them. (hangs head in shame)

My appetizer was the fried herb and garlic cheese. For dinner, I had the sampler of fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf. For dessert I had the s'mores.

After dinner we walked over to see the Osborne lights. There were too many people to stop and take pictures.

JoAnn C's picture

I got Mickey mail today!!

Spook's picture

I want Mickey mail sad
Great trip report! I love the pictures! We saw those hot air balloons while we were waiting to run the 5K at Animal Kingdom. I'm thinking trip to Cape May Cafe is in order after seeing your pictures! I've never been there before but it sure looks good!

Jess's picture

I'm really thinking we need to take Brooklin to Cinderella's Royal Table next year...she would love it and she's always asking to go into the castle.

disneydoc's picture

Joann, did you do Cape May and Cinderella's Royal Table solo? I am debating a character meal, but wondering if they look at you weird if you go solo. mickey

Allie's picture

JoAnn C wrote:

My appetizer was the fried herb and garlic cheese. For dinner, I had the sampler of fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf.

This is exactly what DH and I had when we were there! The fried cheese was delish! I love the Mickey Mail, too. That was such a fun suprise for us after we got back and reminded us how much we are yearning for another trip Wink

Jeez . . . I haven't even gotten there yet and now I'm bummed that I'll have to wait for the Mickey Mail . . .

How twisty is that? laugh

Maybe a Margarita Flight will help me cope? Maybe I need a couple . . .? biggrin

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

JoAnn C's picture

disneydoc wrote:
Joann, did you do Cape May and Cinderella's Royal Table solo? I am debating a character meal, but wondering if they look at you weird if you go solo. mickey

I did. Four of the six character meals I've done in the last two trips have been solo. I've never felt that I was getting weird looks.

disneydoc's picture

awesome, thank you! I love travelling WDW solo. The only thing I have not ventured into much is table service dining...just done Teppan Edo. I think I am now inspired.