Kristen's October 2012 F&W Trip ** **

Login to post comments
129 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture

yay yay I just finished online check in! yay yay

I'm pulling out the suitcases tonight and doing all my laundry tomorrow, then I'll pack up as much as I can. I really don't want to have to check luggage, so I'll be traveling light. I think that I decided just to pack normally and not worry about any possible rain. If I have to buy a poncho so be it!

I'm going to have to figure out how to carry my electronics though. My usually bag won't be allowed on the plane if I'm carrying on my suitcase. I'm thinking I can put cords and stuff in the suitcase and put the laptop in a sleeve in an over the shoulder bag. I don't have that all figured out yet.

I decided to take the bus to the airport because it will save me about $100, I've never done that on the home end before and I'm a little worried but everything should be fine.

My traveling companion leaves for Florida on this Thursday!

nikkirugby13's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

I'm excited for you!!!! yay yay clapping clapping mickey mickey

clapping yay Woo Hoo Kristen.

JoAnn C's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

stars yeah yeah stars

Magic Mirror's picture

congrats youre almost there! beach

MrHub's picture

Your going to Disney , your going to Disney! yeah congrats

MsVersaci's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
nikkirugby13 wrote:
How do you prepare your tip envelopes? Do you do this before for your meals also? How do you figure out how much to put in if you don't know what your bill is? Is there a system you have? mickey biggrin

There is a method to my tipping madness! mickey

About 2 weeks before I leave I sit down with a stack of dollar sized envelopes and labels from the office store. I create some sort of pretty label that says something along the lines of "Thank you for your service, our trip wouldn't have been as magical without you. Tip inside" with our family name and the trip dates. I like to make then fun and pretty.

Assuming I am traveling with 2 people here's my tip breakdown:

• $5 x2 for Magical Express (one coming and one going)

• $5 xNights I'm staying for Mousekeeping (that gets left in the room each day)

• One envelope with assorted $1s and $5s (that stays in my purse for unforseen tips - such as if I use valet or bell services)

• For table service meals I read the menus of the restaurants that we have ADRs at and take a guess of what people will order. I grab that from here http://allears.net/din/dining.htm Then I add it up and figure out 20%, then stick that in it's envelope and write on the back the name of the restaurant in pencil. Over the years I've found that I usually need $10 for breakfast, $20 for dinner at a regular table service restaurant, and $30-40 for signature dining. I do tip on the high side though, so you might need to adjust down a little to be comfortable.

• I also do an envelope with about $60 just in case I want to take a couple of cabs.

After everything is inside it's envelope and the labels are on them I put them into piles by day and paper clip it together. While on vacation I grab the correct days worth of envelopes and stick them in my purse, leaving the rest in my room safe. That way I'm not carrying a ton of cash with me. If I have left over envelopes because I didn't take a cab or use bell staff that becomes "extra" spending money for last minute souvenirs before we leave.

This is so genius. I love organization! I am totally using this in November.

Thank you! muchlove

Wedding Countdown Ticker

finngirl's picture

Kristen you are going to have a fabulous time. We just got home tonight, and we heard so many positive comments about Art of Animation. I can't wait to see your pictures and hear how you liked it. The weather for the past week was perfect! I hope you have perfect weather too. yay yay

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Kristen K.'s picture

finngirl wrote:
Kristen you are going to have a fabulous time. We just got home tonight, and we heard so many positive comments about Art of Animation. I can't wait to see your pictures and hear how you liked it. The weather for the past week was perfect! I hope you have perfect weather too. yay yay

Yay!! Weather over the next week is supposed to be great too, I hope it holds out. I can't wait to hear all about how your trip went!

Kristen, I'm right there with you!

Weather updates every hour? Check.

Laundry needing to be done? Check.

Suitcases ready to be packed? Check.

Excitement? Check. Check. Check!

Kristen K.'s picture

crsp12 wrote:
Kristen, I'm right there with you!
Excitement? Check. Check. Check!

Whoo hoo! yay Hey, I'm not sure if you've seen the thread yet, but there are several forum meet ups going on over the next two weeks. I'll be at the Dole Whip Meet-up 3:00pm at Aloha Isle seating Friday 10/26.

Check it out here:
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/october-2012-trip-overlaps-meet-ups

Thanks Kirsten, I'll have to see if SO wants to do a meet up. He's not an outgoing person like I am Lol

Kristen K.'s picture

No problem! If you happen to be in the area at the time we will be there, even if you just want to say hello and go. I'll send you a private message with my cell number.

Kristen K.'s picture

I put my traveling companion on the bus for Florida just this morning! yay

He has a week at a business convention before we get to Disney so he had to pack a TON of clothes! I kept telling him that he could do laundry, but that didn't really sound like much fun to him. So I gave him the big suitcase, showed him how to use the packing cubes and he got it all in with a little room to spare and 20lbs underweight. He's never been away for a business trip before and he was pretty nervous. I told him it would be okay and that I would seem him in a week in Disney!!

yay Whoo hoo! Just one week to go! I need to arrange for my ground transportation on the Chicago side, and call my Dr. to make sure my prescriptions are in order. My last clothes are clean, so I can finish packing tonight. Then I'll figure out how I'm carrying the electronic this time.

We had a talk about what the general Disney plan is. He's not a "meet-up" kind of guy, and he's a little worried about meeting my friends. He's never had the whole WDW experience before, last trip we only had a day and a half there before we cruised. I'm really excited!! 7 Days left to go!

finngirl's picture

This week is going to fly by Kristen. I hope you have a fabulous time. yay

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

nikkirugby13's picture

Super excited for you!! Have a great time!!! clapping yay

Becks534's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
So I gave him the big suitcase, showed him how to use the packing cubes and he got it all in with a little room to spare and 20lbs underweight.

The mister is in love with his packing cubes. muchlove I got him some for his birthday on your recommendation and I swear he makes a game out of how much he can squish into them.

Kristen K. wrote:
he's a little worried about meeting my friends.....

Well, sheesh! He knows us - it's not like we're weirdos...Oh wait.... laugh

Okay, I'm in a bit of a funk today since the real world is intent on shoving me out of my happy Disney bubble. Realistically, I have the rest of today and Sunday to finish all my stuff due to my work schedule and of course, I'm lazing around surfing WDWFG. Oh well, it will all get done eventually.

Kristen K.'s picture

Becks534 wrote:
Well, sheesh! He knows us - it's not like we're weirdos...Oh wait.... laugh

Yes, but it's been a few years since he's seen you guys. I think a lot of it is that he's just stressed out in general. I think that once he gets to Disney everything will be fine. I mean, isn't that how the magic works?

Becks534 wrote:
I'm lazing around surfing WDWFG.

I can't imagine a better way to kill some time! I've not accomplished one thing since we got off of the phone.

Erik's plane should be taking off any minute!

Okay Kristen my interest is piqued. What are packing cubes and where do you get them?

Kristen K.'s picture

PirateGirl wrote:
Okay Kristen my interest is piqued. What are packing cubes and where do you get them?

Packing cubes function sort of like having drawers in your suitcase. They are cloth "boxes" with zippers that you can organize your suitcase with. It's hard to describe, check out the link below. You know how when you pack a suitcase you pack with the bag laying down, then you turn it on end and everything crumples down and gets wrinkled up? Or how you get to the hotel and there's no real place to organize your little stuff? Or even if you hate putting your clothes into hotel room drawers. The Pack-It system helps to organize and prevent all of that. It's a way to know where everything you've packed is and keep it organized while traveling.

My packing cubes are from Eagle Creek. I have the Pack-It Frequent Flyer set and I love it. I never want to pack without the Pack-It Folder again. It keeps my shirts and pants neat, while compressing them to allow me to get more into my bag. The cubes come in all sorts of different colors too, so you can even color code your family and everyone knows precisely where their stuff is, because it's in their colored cube. PERFECT if you share luggage. It does make for an extra step to packing your bag, but for me it has been 100% worth it.

Eagle Creek Pack-It (Packing Cubes)
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packing-solution-by-bag-type-view-all/l/210

Disclaimer: I should probably note that the packing cubes were sent to me to review by Eagle Creek, but I was not paid to endorse them in any way. These opinions are my own. It was surprising to me (I thought I would hate them) but I really, really love this product.

Thanks Kristen - there is a store in Pittsburgh that I will check out. This is definitely something I would like to invest in.

Kristen K.'s picture

awesome

angels444's picture

I see they roll their clothes to get into the cubes like the Navy taught J to roll his to get into his seabag for less wrinkles.

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker Free Disney Tickers

Kristen K.'s picture

angels444 wrote:
I see they roll their clothes to get into the cubes like the Navy taught J to roll his to get into his seabag for less wrinkles.

laugh LoL... maybe that's part of why I like it so much! You also have to fold them into the folder the way the Navy teaches. Only the folder has a guide inside that helps you cheat the measure. I had totally never realized, however I've been out since '91. Amazing how one's subconscious remembers.

Kristen K.'s picture

rolling rolling rolling
Sometimes all you can do is laugh hysterically and realize that the universe is always the one in control. sarcastic There was a problem when my traveling companion checked into his hotel in Jacksonville today and the desk clerk charged him $400 more than they were supposed to. eek They "caught it right away and reversed it, but it could take 48 hours to refund" AND after they realized they made a mistake, they recharged it at the correct amount. As I've mentioned, money is not in surplus at our house these days. So, we're overdrawn in the checking account, and I'm praying that the second charge doesn't come through before the credit does like when this happened with Disney.
Nothing to do but wait, and see, and laugh.
rolling rolling rolling

Uncle.

DisneyDee27's picture

Call the bank and advise them of the Hotels error sometimes they'll forgive the overdrawn funds and speed up the reimbursement.
If they won't you'll be in the same boat but if they do then you'll be fine Smile
Squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say

Member of the 6 castle club and working to pay for my next Disney vacations: 1/5-10/18, September 2018 for my 50th and 2018 the year of Disney cruising.

Kristen K.'s picture

Will do Dee! Thanks for the tip!

Oh no Kristen! I hope they can get it fixed asap.

Have you checked the weather? It was saying no rain, now we have 40% next Friday.. Ahhhhh.

Kristen K.'s picture

Everything's being worked out with the refund and the hotel is paying for his meals until the money is back. But then this morning he got stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes!!! Oh my gosh, it just doesn't end. He says that the customer service team has been great, so we're trying to stay positive. This trip has been the biggest mess and I haven't even left yet. laugh I'm just counting on that Disney Magic to be flowing freely once I get there. stars

Just checked the weather and it is now saying "Scattered Thunderstorms" but next Friday and Saturday only have 30/40% Sunday looks like a greater chance. Happily the temp estimates look like about 80 degrees. We'll see how it all goes! I'm trying to stay optimistic cool

nikkirugby13's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
We'll see how it all goes! I'm trying to stay optimistic cool

Stay positive!!! Pixie dust is only 6 days away!!! mickey clapping