Princess 2017- Trip Report complete!

Login to post comments
25 posts / 0 new
Spook's picture
Princess 2017- Trip Report complete!

It's that time of year again! I'm heading down to run the Disney Princess 5K and Glass Slipper Challenge (10K and Half marathon). This is my third year running and it's probably my favourite rundisney weekend because of the theme biggrin My Dad came with me the last two years but this year a friend of mine will be joining me ( she isn't running though). It's her first time at Disney and she is very excited! Erik is staying home because he was supposed to be ice racing. Although the above zero temps this week might cause the race to be cancelled sad
Anyways, here are our plans for the week.

Tuesday: Work all day then fly to Toronto.

Wednesday: Flight to Orlando is at 6:15am so we have a VERY early morning. Should land around 9am. Possibly hit Cinnabon and the Universal Store before heading to the Magical Express. We are staying at Animal Kingdom Jambo House. After checking in we are heading to Disney Springs for a bit of shopping. If we have time we'll head to MK for a bit and then have dinner at O'Hana. Maybe hit TOTWL for fireworks if we have time and aren't too tired.

Thursday: Epcot day today. We have fastpasses for Living with the Land, Frozen and the Character Spot. Lunch at Akershaus. At some point I'll skip over to the Expo to pick up my race stuff then head back to Epcot for Illuminations.

Friday: I'll be running the 5K this morning. Then it's off to Hollywood Studios. Fastpasses for Frozen, Tower of Terror and Toy Story. Have to see Beauty and the Beast as it's my friends favourite Disney movie. Late lunch at Sci Fi. After lunch I'll head back to the room for a nap. Tonight we have the DVC after hours event at MK. It goes from 10pm to 1am. We were only planning on going for about an hour but I saw a list of characters that will be there and theres fireworks at midnight! Guess we'll be there until then laugh Not sure how much sleep I'll get since I have to be up at 3am for the 10K.

Saturday: 10K this morning! Then we have breakfast at Be Our Guest. After that we head to AK for the day. Fast passes for Dinosaur, Lion King and Everest. Early dinner at 4:15 at 1900 Park Fare. After dinner I'll be going to bed. Another early morning for the half.

Sunday: Half marathon day! After the race we spend the day at MK mickey Lunch AND dinner at Be Our Guest. We have fastpasses for Splash mt, thunder mt and meet Rapunzel. Watching the Festival of Fantasy parade and wishes are also part of the plan.

Monday: up early AGAIN! yuck Flight is at 10:30am so Tragical Express picks us up at 6:25am. I'll be sad to leave Disney but happy to see Erik and catch up on sleep!

JMed's picture

You are gong to have a lot of sleep to catch up on!!! laugh Good luck with all the running! I keep seeing your friend posting Disney stuff with you tagged it it on Facebook, I am sure she is super excited and can't wait to hear how much she loves it.

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Kristen K.'s picture

That will totally keep you on the go! But it sure does sound like fun muchlove

oHIo's picture

Ah......to be young again!! laugh laugh

Brinbunny's picture

Spook - can I ask a technical question about the 16 minute mile.... how fast exactly is that? I.e. Can it be a good power walk or is it a slow jog or conversely is it a proper run. Sorry to ask such an odd question. I can't run due to medical issues but I can fast walk and a tiny bit of jogging.....

Kristen K.'s picture

Brin - it really depends on the walker. According to my doctor, the 16 minute mark is right around where people start changing from a walk to a jog. Some people can power walk more quickly than others though. I've never been able to walk faster than a 17 minute mile (and I've done two Disney 5Ks at a 18-20 minute pace) however I have known some power walkers that can push out a 12 minute mile. That's absolutely boggling to me. Your personal strengths and abilities have a lot to do with if that is a fast walk or a jog.

Brinbunny's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Brin - it really depends on the walker. According to my doctor, the 16 minute mark is right around where people start changing from a job to a walk. Some people can powerwalk more quickly than other though. I've never been able to walk faster than a 17 minute mile (and I've done two Disney 5Ks at a 18-20 minute pace) however I have known some power walkers that can push out a 12 minute mile. That's absolutely boggling to me. Your personal strengths and abilities have a lot to do with if that is a fast walk or a jog.

Thanks for this, maybe I will have to do some time trials.

JoAnn C's picture

sounds like a great trip.

danijrod's picture

Sounds like a great trip but a very tiring one you will need a holiday after to catch up wink

Allie's picture

Wowza you've got a lot going on! Have a great day today! Disney day! mickey So excited for your friend, too. She looks so excited in the all the posts she's been tagging you in! muchlove

Spook's picture

Thanks everyone!

Just got home yesterday. I'll start my report tonight (hopefully). It was a great trip with very little sleep laugh I really wanted to stay in bed this morning but unfortunately I had to work.

Spook's picture

Brinbunny wrote:
Spook - can I ask a technical question about the 16 minute mile.... how fast exactly is that? I.e. Can it be a good power walk or is it a slow jog or conversely is it a proper run. Sorry to ask such an odd question. I can't run due to medical issues but I can fast walk and a tiny bit of jogging.....

There are a lot of walkers. If you can walk at a 16 minute mile ( or faster ) you can walk the whole race. It just really depends on each individual. To maintain a 16 minute mile some people need to jog while others can walk it mickey

Brinbunny's picture

Spook wrote:
Brinbunny wrote:

There are a lot of walkers. If you can walk at a 16 minute mile ( or faster ) you can walk the whole race. It just really depends on each individual. To maintain a 16 minute mile some people need to jog while others can walk it mickey

Thanks for this, I have decided to set myself a different goal for this year, and will go for some time trials.

Glad you had a great trip, will read your report avidly .

Spook's picture

Report time yay

Tuesday- I worked until 4pm today. Finished up my last minute packing then made supper for Erik and I. We were flying to Toronto at 8:20pm tonight. My friend Jes who came with me for this trip met me at my house around 6:30pm then Erik drove us up to the airport. Once we got inside we were informed that our flight had JUST been cancelled waiting due to fog. I quickly called Erik to come back and get us. No other flights were going out until 10:30am the next day but our flight to Orlando was leaving Toronto at 6:15am. We had no choice but to drive the 3:30 hours to Toronto yuck Erik drove us back home where we picked up Jes' car and hit the road. By the time we got into the room it was midnight and we had to get up at 2:30am to catch the airport shuttle. Not a fun start.

Wednesday- We were up at 2:30am and caught the 3:00am shuttle. We got to the airport and checked in at a kiosk. We got in line to check our bags and were then informed we were in the wrong line! Flights to the US were down further. They need to have signs with destinations on them because no where did it say what flights it was for sarcastic

We finally got our bags checked, went through a fairly empty security and customs line and headed for our gate. Flight was pretty uneventful. I tried sleeping but I just can't sleep on planes. We landed just after 9am and heading for the Magical Express yay We got on the bus right away and took off not too long after. It was a bit rainy but not too bad. We arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo) around 10:30am and to our amazement, our room was READY!!

After about an hours nap, we headed to Disney Springs. Lunch was at Wolfgang Puck Express where I had a BBQ chicken pizza (so good). We shopped for a bit then headed back to the room to drop off our purchases. We got on the bus to Magic Kingdom and thats when the rain hit hard. The flooding was crazy. Ankle deep water everywhere! Luckily the rain stopped shortly after we arrived but my feet were damp the rest of the night. We missed our Space Mountain FP so we headed to our second one which was meeting Cinderella and Elena. We wandered around a bit then headed to Poly for dinner at O'Hana. Dinner was good but would have been better if I wasn't so darn tired! I didn't have near the appetite required for a place like that laugh

Spook's picture

Thursday- Today was Epcot day. We had FP for Living with the Land, Character Spot with Mickey, and Frozen. The characters were great! I (of course) had Mister with me and Mickey wanted to keep him laugh Goofy had fun with him too. I really regretted not having his Mickey ears on him. Lunch was at Akerhaus in Norway. This was my first time eating here. Food was really good and all the Princesses were fun too. Belle greeted us before we were seated then we met Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Ariel.

After lunch we went to find Mulan but she wasn't there so we headed to France to meet Belle (Beauty and the Beast is Jes' favourite). After our meeting I headed out to the Expo to pick up my race packet. I had seen earlier on Facebook some crazy lines for the Expo but it was pretty decent when I got there. I picked up my race stuff and a few things a pre ordered then treated myself to a few things at the run disney merchandise booth biggrin

I headed back to the room to drop off my stuff then headed back to meet Jes at Epcot. We rode Frozen then grabbed a snack from the caramel store in Germany. We watched Illuminations before calling it a night. Tomorrow was another early morning for me.

Friday- Got up at 3:15am to get ready for the 5K. I dressed as Cinderella for this race. The weather was warm but not too bad. They have started a new thing now where they release each corral in waves. I ended up in the front of my wave which was nice. I had forgotten my running watch in the room this morning so I had to guess my intervals laugh The race was fun and not as crowded as I expected, especially for the 5K. I finished in 37min. The 5K course takes you around world showcase which I love. After the race, I headed back for a shower and went to meet Jes at Hollywood Studios.

Once I met up with Jes, we checked out One Man's Dream before our first FP which was for the Frozen sing a long. Those Historians crack me up! Next was Tower of Terror which scared the crap out of Jes but she loved it! We had lunch at Backlot Express then went to see the Beauty and the Beast show. Our last FP was for Toy Story which is always a blast. Then we had an early dinner (3:45pm) at Sci Fi. Erik and I ate here once and weren't impressed but Jes wanted to go. It was a better experience this time for sure but I still wouldn't rush back. After dinner I headed back for a nap to rest up for the DVC Moonlight Magic party later and Jes continued her touring at Hollywood Studios.

The DVC party was at Magic Kingdom from 10pm-1am. It was a complimentary event for members and their guests with special character meets, free snacks and most rides were open. My main priority was meeting Rapunzel because not only is Tangled my favourite but she was meeting with FLYNN! I loved it! Ariel and Eric and Belle and Beast were meeting at Fairytale Hall but it was an 80min wait. No thanks. We instead rode Haunted Mansion then went and found a spot for the fireworks. The fireworks were pretty standard for Disney which means AWESOME awesome We headed out afterwards so I could get to bed. It was 1am when I climbed into bed. 3am was going to come early yuck

Spook's picture

Saturday- Up at 3am for the 10K. This time I was dressing as Rapunzel. I was a bit warmer for the 10K but again nothing crazy ( I hate running in heat). Corrals were again released in waves but this time I wasn't so lucky and was more in the middle/back. Not sure if that was why, but I found the 10K more crowded. The 10K again goes around world showcase but also takes you out around the Boardwalk and Beachclub. My time was 1:17.

After the race I headed back to shower then was off to Magic Kingdom for breakfast at Be Our Guest. I had the croissant doughnut. It was ok. I wasn't a fan of the custard stuff that was in the middle. The table also receives a pastry plate to share. They were pretty standard. After breakfast we headed to Animal Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom was pretty busy (which I expected because it was last year too). We missed our dinosaur FP and were just in time for the Lion King show. I just love this show! We were in the elephant section. After the show we checked out some trails and then rode Everest. It's one of my favourites! Afterwards, we headed out as we had another early dinner, this time at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian.

I'm not sure I could ever spend more than a night at the Grand Floridian. It seems way to fancy/classy for us laugh Dinner was good though. It was my first time eating here as well and both food and characters were good. The desserts need some work though. They were pretty boring. The characters tonight were Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella. Anastasia was my favourite. She was hilarious! After dinner Jes went back to Animal Kingdom while I went back to the room. Lack of sleep was starting to catch up with me.

Once back in the room, I called Erik to see how he was doing. Then I got my race stuff together and was in bed by 7pm.

Spook's picture

Sunday- Up at 2:30am today. Since this years theme was Beauty and the Beast, I dressed as Belle. It was cooler today but I was fine with my mylar blanket. Once I got running the temperature was perfect. They didn't release the corrals in waves for the Half. It was pretty crowded until we hit Magic Kingdom. I just love running down Main Street USA muchlove During the marathon last month, two penguins from Mary Poppins were out for pictures near the Grand Floridian. I had thought about stopping (because I love penguins!) but didn't because I always worry about my time. I have never stopped for a photo at any race eek I regretted not stopping though. Back to Princess, the penguins were out again! So I actually stopped! And thats where it started laugh Running down World Drive, a group of Disney Princes were meeting so I stopped for them. Then a little ways up were pirates Barbosa and Capt Jack so I stopped for them. Then I stopped for Daisy in Epcot and for a shot in front of Spaceship Earth. This was probably the most fun I've had at a Disney race! And I've had fun at all of them mickey Even with photo stops, I managed to finish in 2:52.

After the race I went back to the room and sat out on the balcony for a bit to rest and have a snack. Then I was off to Magic Kingdom. First up was meeting Rapunzel and Tiana then Lunch at Be Our Guest. I had the pork which was really good (aside from the mushrooms yuck ) and a strawberry cupcake. after lunch we rode small world, splash mountain, thunder mountain and pirates (twice). We also watched the parade. Dinner was also at Be Our Guest. Jes wanted to have every meal there so we did. She was excited to meet the Beast too. I had the steak for dinner and it was amazing. Dessert was the grey stuff. Not impressed. The actual grey stuff was good, but I didn't like the tart thing it came on.

We stayed for the castle show and Wishes. This was my last time seeing Wishes sad We got back to the room and packed up. Only one more early morning left laugh

Monday- Up at 5am to catch the Magical Express at 6:10am. Got to the airport and were too early to check in for our flight sarcastic Once we got checked in, security was pretty short and we were at our gate in no time. We ended up being delayed almost an hour but landed only 40min later than we were supposed to. Customs was a breeze. The only thing I was asked was how I was doing today laugh We grabbed our luggage, got the shuttle to the hotel and hit the road!

Spook's picture

Final Thoughts

Overall, this was a great trip. I'm so glad Jes loved her first taste of Disney mickey I really missed Erik though. I've already started trying to talk him into coming next year wink

Going with a first timer on a race weekend isn't the best idea. The lack of sleep was hard! If I had travelled solo, I would've slept a lot more but I didn't want to ditch her more than I already was. However, I regret nothing!

Dining Plan-never again! WAY too much food for me. I knew it was, and I tried talking Jes out of getting it but she wanted the conveinence of not having to worry about paying for food. The portions are too big for me. Erik and I usually share quick service meals so I felt bad with all the food that was getting wasted. I ended up with 6 leftover snacks.

Loved being able to see animals from our standard view room at Jambo awesome

Animal Kingdom is a great resort for a race weekend! I usually stay at Bay Lake but I loved Jambo mickey

Allie's picture

Woohooo Spook! Sounds like an amazing, tiring trip!

Kristen K.'s picture

I agree with Allie, it totally sounds like a great trip!

Next year be sure to plan time for a meet- up with Becks and I!

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:

Are you going to Princess!?

Spook's picture

Allie wrote:
Woohooo Spook! Sounds like an amazing, tiring trip!

It really was mickey

JanJ's picture

Great trip report! awesome I was tired just reading it! laugh

I'm glad your friend had a fun trip and you can sleep now that you're home. wink

Kristen K.'s picture

Spook wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

We are! muchlove I'm going to do the 5K on Friday, and I think she's talking about the 5K and 10K.
We even booked rooms the Disney Cruise that departs that Monday.

Spook's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Spook wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:

We are! muchlove I'm going to do the 5K on Friday, and I think she's talking about the 5K and 10K.
We even booked rooms the Disney Cruise that departs that Monday.

yay yay yay I'm planning on all 3 races again. Can't wait to meet up mickey