Beware of Pizza Scam at Disney

Visiting Mickey and friends in Orlando any time soon? You might want to skip that pizza after a long day at the parks - especially if it's offered from a flyer.

It appears some identity thieves are out to grab your credit card info by slipping phony pizza advertisements under hotel doors. Instead of ringing up a pizza parlor, the number is straight to someone who's after an identity and not an order.

The problem has grown so rampant around the tourist area of Orlando that a law, backed by Disney itslef, has been passed to cut down on this phony flyer distribution. Despite the law, this scam is apparently still ongoing at several Disney area hotels and motels, particularly along the International Drive area.

Still craving a pizza? Just make sure not to order off of a flyer!

Source

Source

DVC Mom wrote on Sun, 08/21/2011 - 20:16:

DVC Mom's picture

Wow, I had no idea this was going on. But then I also don't usually order Pizza or do anything that's related to "off property". This is a great heads up, thanks for sharing!

Aesha wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 14:50:

The last time I was in Disney World we stayed at a hotel off Disney property and when we checked in there was a flyer stating not to order pizza from any flyer put under your door. The hotel had a list of pizza shops to order from. The list comprised of Pizza Hut, Dominos and a family own pizza store that was accross the street from the hotel. Whenever I am on vacation and order from a place that is delivering my food I always pay with cash. You are in a heavy touristy town, people are going to try to get over as much as possible you have to protect yourself as much as possible.

ebandflo wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 15:15:

We were there 2 weeks ago at Animal Kingdom Kidani Village and we had a few Menu's stuck under our door! I thought it was a bit odd that they were there. The food is so good from Disney we don't order out !

jbarkee wrote on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 16:58:

Giving your give your credit card number out over the phone to some random pizza place. Sorry, but you deserve to get scammed. That's just plain dumb.

JoAnn C wrote on Tue, 08/23/2011 - 02:53:

JoAnn C's picture

When I read this yesterday I kept thinking with all the restaurants around the World, why would anyone order pizza from a flyer. Then I remembered my manager at work telling me when her family went to Disney last year there was one night they got back to the resort and realized they never had dinner.

I can see who would fall victim to this.... mom, dad and the kids get back late from the parks. The kids are hungry and tired. They went back to the room to drop the souviners. It's late and noone wants to walk back to the food court (or it's already closed or was really busy when they walked passed it). They see a flyer and decide to stay in their room and have pizza delivered.

Melinda Gregory wrote on Tue, 08/30/2011 - 12:42:

Melinda Gregory's picture

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I thought this was interesting (and scary!), and I had never come across it before, so I thought I'd share. My rule of thumb, traveling or not, is never to give out a credit card number over the phone!