Downtown Disney's Raglan Road

Raglan Road in Downtown Disney had been on my "to-do" list for quite some time. Who can resist pub food? Rose and Crown is one of my favorite restaurants in Epcot, so I was anxious to give the Irish pub a chance.

Raglan Road is located in Downtown Disney and was "created under the direction of Kevin Dundon, one of Ireland's celebrity chefs." The food is intended to be classic Irish pub fare with a modern twist. While that may sound like marketing speak, it's actually a pretty accurate description.

Raglan Road Main Dining RoomRaglan Road Main Dining Room

One of the first things you will notice on visiting Raglan Road is the decor. Much like the food, "Irish with a modern twist" is a fitting description. Everything is very "hip," but some nice authentic touches have been added. The most noteworthy of these touches are the two bars, which have been imported from Ireland. One presumes this was not a cheap endeavor.

One of Two Imported Bars at Raglan Road: One of Two Imported Bars at Raglan RoadOne of Two Imported Bars at Raglan Road:

In addition to the food, the pub also boasts Irish entertainment. The music was very entertaining and while it was loud enough to make conversation difficult, it wasn't uncomfortably loud. We were seated right in the front and had excellent views of both the musicians and the Irish dancer, one of the signature features of the restaurant.

Dancing GirlIrish Dancer

Since we wanted to try so many things on the menu it was convenient that they offered an appetizer sampler that included ribs, grilled chicken as well as a "forest" of battered scallops and sausages. The grilled chicken was largely forgettable. I'm not a scallop expert, so I was pretty ambivalent about them, although they were quite juicy (which may or may not be good when it comes to scallops. I wouldn't know, but I found it pleasant.)

Battered Sausages and ScallopsBattered Sausages and Scallops

The sausages on the other hand were quite tasty, and the mustard for dipping them in was a great accompaniment. The highlight of the appetizers however was the ribs. They had an good taste and were quite a bit meatier than they appeared.

Raglan Road RibsRaglan Road Ribs

For my entree I had the Shepherd's pie, which was quite enjoyable. The sauce for the meat was quite strong which was both a blessing and a curse. While I enjoyed it immensely at the start of the meal, as I got further into the dish it became overpowering. Still I would rate it highly, although quite a departure from any shepherd's pie I've had before.

Shepherd's PieShepherd's Pie

My dining partner tried the bangers and mash and was equally impressed. Once again it wasn't a traditional presentation, but she found the accompanying gravy very enjoyable. The taste was rich and savory and the potatoes were an excellent contrast in taste and texture.

Bangers and MashBangers and Mash

Dessert was a possibly the strongest course. "Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding" seems to be the star dessert here. I have a general rule that when dessert comes with little cups of sauce to pour over it, it's a very good sign. My rule held true here. In fact my biggest complaint was that there wasn't more butterscotch and vanilla sauce to pour over the bread pudding. I didn't enjoy it as much as 'Ohana's bread pudding, but it was still quite good.

Bread PuddingBread Pudding

Even better was an apple tart, which I unfortunately don't think is always available. It had a strong oatmeal texture, which I always enjoy, and a very tart fruit taste. Once again my biggest complaint was a lack of topping. I wished we had more ice cream. The dessert is delicious however, and if it happens to be a special when you're there be sure to snap it up.

Apple DessertApple Dessert

"Enjoyable" was the perfect word to describe my experience. I enjoyed the music, the dancing and the food. I didn't have anything that was so wonderful I had to go back the next night, but everything was very good and I left satisfied. Raglan Road is particularly convenient because it's open late, which we've found to be very handy when we arrive in the evening but would still like to get some grub. If you're craving some good food and a good time, Raglan Road is a great option.

Lonnie wrote on Mon, 02/14/2011 - 18:04:

Raglan Road is one of my favorite places to dine when we're visiting Disney. I'm not a fan of the Rose and Crown's limited menu, so, other then the Fish and Chips the two restaurant can't even be compaired. As we live close to WDW we have had the opportunity to eat at every WDW restaurant, and like I previously stated Raglan Road is one of my favorites. As far as the bread pudding goes I prefer Raglan Roads over O'Hana's. Make sure you bring your appetite when you go!

Brad wrote on Mon, 02/14/2011 - 21:02:

Brad's picture

Thanks for the comment Lonnie! I had the Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding at Rose & Crown the last time I was there and I just LOVED the beef. The Yorkshire pudding was a bit disappointing, but it's been so long since I've had a good one just about anything will suffice. That being said Raglan Road certainly has a more extensive menu.

Have you ever tried the Apple tart at Raglan Road? I thought the bread pudding was great until I tried that and it blew it away.

FrankO wrote on Mon, 02/14/2011 - 21:09:

Family Favorite. We're planning our 3rd trip to WDW and for a family of five to agree on anything is a miracle itself! Our last visit brought 3-4 nights of dining at Raglands. Our kids, 17, 12, 11 LOVE IT. WOW!!

Brad wrote on Mon, 02/14/2011 - 22:09:

Brad's picture

FrankO, we tend to hit all our favorites repeatedly as well. These days we tend to mix it up a bit so we get more content for the website, but back in the day we'd do our favorites several times per trip too.

Brian wrote on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 00:22:

Really like the food and atmosphere. The one thing I don't like about Raglan Road is the wait. We've been to RR twice (once during a busy time of year, once during a very un-busy time) and had to wait over 40 minutes past our ADR time each occasion. I've been to WDW enough to know that ADRs aren't guaranteed, but the place seemed to be crawling each time with people waiting well past their ADR time. Seems they could work on that a little bit.

For us it's almost getting to be the old Yogi Berra saying: "Nobody goes their anymore--it's too crowded."

Brad wrote on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 00:34:

Brad's picture

Thanks for the info Brian. We've only gone at VERY off times (both in time of year and time of day) so we haven't had to wrangle with getting seated. It DID get pretty busy as the night went on though, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're having trouble managing wait times.

JeffC wrote on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 03:25:

JeffC's picture

Every time we walk by RR we say "We should try it sometime" and we never do.

I'm a sad Irishman - Irish food doesn't really appeal to me! Well, except for Lucky Charms....hee hee :p

DonaldDork wrote on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 04:58:

DonaldDork's picture

I love love LOVE Raglan Road.. it's been a MUST do on my trips. We wandered in my 1st trip to WDW because it WAS the only place open late (a VERY good quality to have) and I've gone back every visit since.
This reminds me, they have such AMAZING burgers here! (add that to the best-burgers thread lol) they use this absolutely fantastic Irish Cheddar that is to die for!!
Also, you MUST try the Celtic Martini.. wowza. I mean... yeah.. good stuff.
I've never had trouble with my ADR taking too long.. I think the longest we waited was 10 min.. and that was with a walk up line that was out the door...
Love this place.. it's the only place I'll eat at DTD!

Lizzy_B wrote on Wed, 02/16/2011 - 15:35:

Lizzy_B's picture

LOVE RR. I see you tried the Dalkey sausages, one of our faves. You should also give the mac and cheese a try. I believe they have it on the "kids" menu - but, made with Dubliner cheddar cheese, it's some of the best mac and cheese I've ever had.

Anonymous wrote on Tue, 02/22/2011 - 16:29:

The Best Soups in the "World"
They have 6 different ones they rotate. AWESOME

Don Birdsall wrote on Sat, 05/21/2011 - 07:39:

Overrated and certainly overpriced. My wife and I each had a cup of soup, one entree', and three beers between us. The bill was $82. This is ridiculous.

The food was not bad but nothing to rave about.

There was live entertainment but in the corner that we were seated in, it made little difference.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Rebecca wrote on Sat, 07/23/2011 - 11:31:

We absolutely LOVE Raglan Road! We went during our honeymoon and we loved it so much that we cancelled other ADRs so that we could eat there again! in total we ate there 3 out of the 10 nights we were there, and we still feel like we didn't go there enough! The food was AMAZING doffinately the best burgers anywhere in Disney property, and the scallops in batter where soooo good. Also the bread and butter pudding with butterscotch sauce was gorgeous. We loved it so much that I am trying to replicate the food we ate there. The entertainment was brilliant the live bands where excellent and the dancers were very good. It was our most memorable place to eat.