Best Vacation Ever...Trip report 2014...

Login to post comments
146 posts / 0 new
JMed's picture

The Watchmaker wrote:
jw24 wrote:
Good stuff from the TR. Can't wait to read your ADR experience at Yachtsmen. On a side note, any chance you'll post pics?

Photos coming soon..I need to get them downloaded onto my main PC and get them onto my I- Pad..Hopefully tomorrow ..

clapping clapping

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Great trip report Watch look forward to reading more !!

The Watchmaker's picture

Day 3...Again I woke up earlier than my alarm call,so after my 06.20am ritual shower,I headed down to Roaring Forks bakery for some buns and whoa ! eek My beloved MCB ...So after breakfast in our balcony it was off to Epcot ( again ) and we done our FP+ passes..Lunch was snacking at World Showcase..Scotland we had the Scallop dish and the salmon dish..The scallop worked better but we gave the salmon 4/10 and the scallop 6/10...Now off to Ireland and one of our favourites,the fishermans pie..It was awesome and packed with lots of fish,it reminded me of a seafood Mornay..9/10...We then decided to shop at F&W shop and bought three bottles of wine, two t-shirts, three plastic trays that hold your glass and nibbles,and a print for our kitchen..In the afternoon we chilled out by our pool..Now comes our first ADR..The Yachtsmen Steakhouse awaits for our 7.10pm reservation ...The restaurant was as breathtaking as the resort itself..We were seated around 7.20pm and our server Barry was awesome,describing various selections from the impressive menu..My son isn't a big starter so it was left to my wife and myself to pick a starter and we went with the signature Lobster Bisque for both of us..Wow. eek ..I thought the famous Moosehead and cheese soup at Le Cellier was awesome,but this was spectacular and I would recommend this starter to anyone who has a ADR here..My son opted for the 12oz NYS steak, my wife chose the 8oz Fillet Migon, and I took the 18oz Kansas..All three steaks were perfectly cooked at the chefs recommendations and we opted for a bottle of Stellenbosh Chenin Blanc which paired perfectly..My son had a chocolate ice cream sweet which he loved also..Oh by the way, our menus were personalised with Happy Birthday Brandon on my sons, and ours had Happy Anniversary ( it was the week previous ) ..So the experience was truly fantastic and we couldn't fault a thing..Bill including a 20% tip was $300 for the three of us..This was to be our most expensive meal of our trip..So it was back to WL for a nightcap and dreaming of what tomorrow would bring..

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg279 KB
jw24's picture

Glad to hear your great experience at Yachtsmen! I feel that lobster bisque is one of those soups that is pretty noticeable if it's done properly or not. I haven't had it very often but when I do, it's a really good soup. In fact, it's probably my favorite. One day I'll have the Yachtsmen's NY Strip all to myself. One day....

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

93boomer's picture

Glad the Yachtsmen Steakhouse was good!! We were wondering whether we should eat there! Great TR!!

Ms.Mouse's picture

Wow what a way to end your day! So glad your meal was fabulous Smile A great trip so far!

Wow, that meal sounds fantastic! Anyone have any problems finishing their respective cuts? Love love love the personalized menus - nice touch. Happy belated anniversary to you and Mrs. Watchmaker clapping

JanJ's picture

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Yachtsman experience. It's definitely one of our favourites. awesome

The Watchmaker's picture

So here was our first rope drop at MK and Olaf woke us up at 06.15 am on day 5 ( Olaf is the speaking alarm clock in our room ) So it was a bus at 07.00am which got us there plenty of time and breakfast at Starbucks Main Street bakery...We done our FP+ passes and had an early lunch at Gaston's..The Le Brew was very refreshing and the cinnamon roll was very nice ( not as good as the old Main Street one. )We also had our Dole whips and Dole floats today..( yummy ) This was also our first time to watch and film Festival of Fantasy..Loved the steampunk dragon,awesome...The usual afternoon chill out and swim back at WL as we had our second ADR at The Wave at 7.45pm...So come early evening we took our gifts with us ( leaving them at The Polynesian later in the evening for disney friends from New Jersey we have made friends with on an old site ) and sailed to the Contemporary resort...We were seated within five minutes and our server was a little nervous as if maybe she hadn't been doing this job for long...Anyway the meal was very good..My son had the steak and loved it..My wife opted for the swordfish and again was delish ( I tried a nibble for myself ) and I had the short rib beef..It was again delish and melted in my mouth..We decided that this indeed was a hidden gem..Including drinks and a 20% tip it came to $125..After our meal we nipped on the monorail to the Poly...Yes, the construction seemed everywhere but we found the Tambu lounge where I had the famous Lapu Lapu.. eek ...My wife had the tropical McCaw and my son had his usual coke..My pineapple cocktail seemed to be everlasting so I took it back on the monorail, much to the amusement of other passengers, and headed back to WL for a well earned sleep..Tomorrow was our first visit to AK and was another early rope drop..It was a day of happy moments and disappointment ...Sorry but I still haven't downloaded any photos ..They will be done ASAP..

The famous Lapu Lapu awesome im so looking forward to trying this on our next visit !!

93boomer's picture

Another good day, Watchmaker! Glad you finally tried the lapu lapu! That is going on my to try list!! wink

Brinbunny's picture

Awesome trip report, glad you had a great time mickey

Spook's picture

Great TR so far. I'm glad you had a great time! Can't wait to hear the rest and see some pictures mickey

JoAnn C's picture

Sounds like a great trip so far. Yachtsman is one of my favorites.

jw24's picture

Sounds like you had a good meal at the Wave. I never really took much consideration of dining at the Wave since Cali Grill seemed to be the only restaurant that was worth visiting at the Contemporary based on what I've read in the past. Maybe I should reconsider that for my next trip....

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

jw24 wrote:
Sounds like you had a good meal at the Wave. I never really took much consideration of dining at the Wave since Cali Grill seemed to be the only restaurant that was worth visiting at the Contemporary based on what I've read in the past. Maybe I should reconsider that for my next trip....

We finally ate there last September, jw, and were really impressed, and pleased. The food was fantastic (we went for dinner). I think it's worth checking out!

jw24 wrote:

Ate at both in September and the Wave is definitely on our go back to list, Cali Grill hmm food OK, bad waiter, ambience awful would only go back if we were having dinner with other people.

amy1989's picture

great report watchmaker I love me a Lapu Lapu now how do I get my hands on one now..........

keep it coming!

The Watchmaker's picture

Now comes day 6....I decide to give my troops a lie in..7.00am for a coffee in our balcony and a bus to our one and only day at AK..We done KS first then Bugs Life and followed by Festival of the Lion King..As we came out the new auditorium I spotted Dawas and oredered two Bloody Mary's,but my other half didn't like hers so I had to finish it also ( Hee hee ) We decided to head for Epcot for lunch and tried another couple of countries dishes,I believe it was Africa and Italy ,both very good choices.Anyway we stuck to our usual routine of swim and chill at WL before our third ADR at Sanaa...We arrived early to look around and waited about 15 mins beyond our ADR time which was no big deal..Our starter was the 11 dips and three types of indian bread,and we all gave it the thumbs up, However for me, this is where it went downhill.Our server was very good and went through his recommendations so my wife had the lamb shank which was awesome,my son had the steak ( again ) and loved it,but i went for the slow cooked Spicy Durbin Shrimp and Chicken Vindaloo, however our server came back ten minutes later and asked me if it was the Butter Chicken I ordered,which I said no, it was the vindaloo...So when my meal came to our table,served by a different server,I looked at my chicken,which incidentally was served in a small tapa style dish,as was my shrimp and rice, it was a creamy colour with no kick to it..I knew right away this was the Butter not vindaloo chicken..I eventually got the attention of our original server and told him that this was not the chicken I ordered,when he came back with the correct dish, he blamed the kitchen for the mistake but I suspect it was his error..The shrimp was just ok and the vindaloo chicken had a really good kick but the portions of my dish were very small..Ah well..We also had another bottle of wine which complemented the food nicely...All in all, i don't think I would venture back after my only disappointment in all our ADRS...Tomorrow night we had VN booked and I knew our Mezzo Metro would hit the right spot,but I wasn't expecting what happened after our meal when we walked out the restaurant... eek

amy1989's picture

Oooooooooooo keeping us in suspense!!! We felt similar about boma we were undewhelmed by that too

Keep up the good work!

The Watchmaker's picture

I promise photos will follow..Problem with my main PC at the moment..

jw24's picture

Yeah, the two entree combo portions aren't exactly very large from what I've seen but...it would justify getting the naan bread sampler! biggrin Anyway, I look forward to hearing about the Mezzo Metro at Via Napoli.

We love the food at both Saana and Boma. The portions dont look that large and the bowls look tiny but I find it really filling and am glad they arent any bigger. The bread service is so good love it

The Watchmaker's picture

Day 7 started off with a 06.15am wake up call from Olaf..This was Saturday and our early magic rope drop for DHS..Our breakfast was at Starring Rolls..Red Velvet cupcake for myself, a butterfingers for my wife,and a chocolate chip cookie for my son..We done TSMM ( twice ) and Star Tours ( twice ) The great movie ride,and the terrible Jack Sparrow..Just before noon we took the friendship boat from DHS to Epcot and had lunch at Liberty Inn..My son wanted to try their steak and he was pleasantly surprised,so was I...That night was our early ADR for 7.00pm at VN...We were seated within 5 mins and it was very busy..We asked for the Mezzo Metro ( half pepperoni /half spicy with chillies ) and a bottle of house vino..My son on coke of course..It was awesome..18" of perfect pizza..Before the end our server arrived at our table with a small chocolate birthday cake and along with another couple of servers started singing in italian to my boy..( his face was scarlet ) ..So at approx 8.30pm we headed out the restaurant and came to a stop..Whoa! eek ...The place was jam packed..It took us 30 minutes to push our way thro crowds of people to the exit..Silly me..Its Saturday night, and I had read the weekend was not the best time to visit Epcot during the F & W festival...Ah well, you live and learn..We finished our night back at MK where I got picked out at Monsters Laugh Floor as " That Guy " ...Much to the enjoyment of my son,and recieved a sticker at the end from a CM..So that was another day over..I should also mention we tried the School bread at Norway today fir the first time..Very unusual but we gave it the thumbs up..Tomorrow was a day of visiting downtown and paying homage to our old resort PORS..

disneydoc's picture

I bet you were an awesome "that guy!" Love that show so much.

Your day sounds fabulous. I do not think I could do a red velvet cupcake first thing in the AM! mickey

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

93boomer's picture

Yummy!! I love that butterfinger cupcake!! I ate it one morning too! Sugar rush!! heehee
What a surprise for your son! That was nice. Yeah those crowds do triple on the weekends! Great trip so far--loving it!

Mousedreaming's picture

School Bread. Had that for the first time last trip, and we couldn't believe we had missed out for so long! Yum! Better than a MCB. But, as I read what you had for breakfast, I realize, you must have a much bigger sweet tooth than me.

*Proud Disney Nut*

jw24's picture

I'd probably be red myself as well if the wait staff sang to me on my birthday! Not really the type that likes to be the center of attention in general.... But anyway, that had to be pretty awesome that you were "that guy" in the Monsters Inc attraction! Never had school bread myself but have heard rave reviews about it. Better adjust my bucket list.....

CdnSquirrel's picture

Pic of the 18 oz. Steak? Sounds interesting.

The Watchmaker's picture

CdnSquirrel wrote:
Pic of the 18 oz. Steak? Sounds interesting.

All going well..photos downloaded tomorrow..Monday..