Food and wine 2014

Login to post comments
75 posts / 0 new
JoAnn C's picture

I need to finalize my list.

JMed's picture

I am working on my list this morning and find myself less than impressed with Italy's selection. Cheese Ravioli? If desperate you can get that in a can at home. I have only 1 food item, the less than stellar sounding chicken and the amazing sounding Frozen Primavera on my list. So here is my question. As you are going around the world, do you also stop at the "countries" and the "booths"?

I know I must have a Grand Ma Slushie and a Saki flight so we are sidetracking from booths to these places. Thinking maybe we should mix in a couple restaurants for a little treat or two...

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

crazycatperson's picture

JMed wrote:
I am working on my list this morning and find myself less than impressed with Italy's selection. Cheese Ravioli? If desperate you can get that in a can at home. I have only 1 food item, the less than stellar sounding chicken and the amazing sounding Frozen Primavera on my list. So here is my question. As you are going around the world, do you also stop at the "countries" and the "booths"?

I know I must have a Grand Ma Slushie and a Saki flight so we are sidetracking from booths to these places. Thinking maybe we should mix in a couple restaurants for a little treat or two...

This is the first time since - well, since forever - that the Italy booth actually has something I would like to try. It's the chicken dish you mentioned, I forget what it's called. I generally don't eat cheese, and usually everything in Italy is covered in the stuff.

We occasionally wander away from the festival booths. Hubby loves the eggrolls and one of the adult beverages at the permanent Joy of Tea stand in the China area, so I'm sure we'll be stopping there this November. We've also done sake inside the Japan pavilion. And we have an ADR at Le Cellier, but that's because the friends we're travelling with like to have a sit-down meal every day. If it were just me and hubby, we'd do F&W booths all day long.

JMed's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
JMed wrote:

This is the first time since - well, since forever - that the Italy booth actually has something I would like to try. It's the chicken dish you mentioned, I forget what it's called. I generally don't eat cheese, and usually everything in Italy is covered in the stuff.

We occasionally wander away from the festival booths. Hubby loves the eggrolls and one of the adult beverages at the permanent Joy of Tea stand in the China area, so I'm sure we'll be stopping there this November. We've also done sake inside the Japan pavilion. And we have an ADR at Le Cellier, but that's because the friends we're travelling with like to have a sit-down meal every day. If it were just me and hubby, we'd do F&W booths all day long.

I'm still not overly excited about the chicken dish. I love me some red sauce and could eat it over anything, I was hoping for more choices that were something I can't get at any Italian restaurant here in town I guess. We are going to Via Napoli our first night and going to sneak in Tutto Gusto for wine and snacks.

I have Joy of Tea checked off on my list, going to check out a couple things there too!

crazycatperson's picture

JMed wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
JMed wrote:
I am working on my list this morning and find myself less than impressed with Italy's selection. Cheese Ravioli? If desperate you can get that in a can at home. I have only 1 food item, the less than stellar sounding chicken and the amazing sounding Frozen Primavera on my list.

I'm still not overly excited about the chicken dish. I love me some red sauce and could eat it over anything, I was hoping for more choices that were something I can't get at any Italian restaurant here in town I guess.

That's part of my problem - the only tomato-based pasta sauce I will eat is homemade using my mother's recipe. So nothing at any Italian restaurant or the Italy festival booth that features red sauce appeals to me at all. Now, that chicken, yay, no red sauce!

JMed's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
JMed wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
JMed wrote:
I am working on my list this morning and find myself less than impressed with Italy's selection. Cheese Ravioli? If desperate you can get that in a can at home. I have only 1 food item, the less than stellar sounding chicken and the amazing sounding Frozen Primavera on my list.

I'm still not overly excited about the chicken dish. I love me some red sauce and could eat it over anything, I was hoping for more choices that were something I can't get at any Italian restaurant here in town I guess.

That's part of my problem - the only tomato-based pasta sauce I will eat is homemade using my mother's recipe. So nothing at any Italian restaurant or the Italy festival booth that features red sauce appeals to me at all. Now, that chicken, yay, no red sauce!

LOL I have been making sauce like it's going out of style! My garden spoiled me this summer. I read SEVERAL recipes then made my own. I have tons of it stored in the freezer! I could get and IV bag and be happy LOL

Spook's picture

Has anyone tried the Mongolian beef in a steamed bun from China or the Teriyaki Gyoza bun from Japan? They both are in steamed buns and I'm not really sure what they would be like. The picture of the one from Japan looks really doughy. Erik (DH) isn't sure if he'd like the steamed bun or not since he prefers bread toasted. Is a steamed bun similar to a regular bun? confused

The Watchmaker's picture

Today's ( Wednesday) edition of Easywdw.com has more country booths featured..I like the look of Irelands fisherman pie..This is a great way of seeing photos of the meals available...Bon Apetit.. yay

Allie's picture

Spook wrote:
Has anyone tried the Mongolian beef in a steamed bun from China or the Teriyaki Gyoza bun from Japan? They both are in steamed buns and I'm not really sure what they would be like. The picture of the one from Japan looks really doughy. Erik (DH) isn't sure if he'd like the steamed bun or not since he prefers bread toasted. Is a steamed bun similar to a regular bun? confused

I did not like the steamed bun when we were there in 2012 for the exact reason you said, it seemed really doughy to me. DH loved it though.

crazycatperson's picture

Spook wrote:

We haven't tried those particular dishes, but had steamed buns at Kona Cafe and at Yak and Yeti and loved them both. They are a little doughy, but still awfully good. But no, it's not like regular bread, it's softer, I'd say somewhere in between Western-style dumplings (as in chicken and dumplings) and baked bread.

Spook's picture

Thanks Allie and CCP! Erik likes dumplings so I think I'll keep them on the list. If we don't like one we'll know to skip the other awesome

Seanzie's picture

Just a heads up. The Fishermans pie at Ireland.....is the greatest thing in the world. I need a recipe.

The Watchmaker's picture

Seanzie wrote:
Just a heads up. The Fishermans pie at Ireland.....is the greatest thing in the world. I need a recipe.

Check out Debsallears...

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg131.77 KB
MrHub's picture

Seanzie wrote:

Yes it is!