Solo Dining at Disney World

Dining alone can be intimidating but it doesn't have to be at Disney. We've done a little research, listened to our our forum members, and compiled a list of some great places to dine while solo at Disney World.

Group Seating

A restaurant with group seating can take away the stigma of dining alone and force you to get out of your shell. Both Teppan Edo in Japan and The Biergarten in Germany offer group or "family" style seating.

Restaurants with Bar or Counter Seating

Picking a restaurant with bar or counter seating is another great option for solo diners. It is a great place to meet other people, interact with the cast members, or just watch whats happening in the kitchen or around the restaurant.

Some of our favorites restaurants with bar or counter seating are Wolfgang Puck Cafe at Downtown Disney, bluezoo at the Walt Disney World Dolphin, the House of Blues at Downtown Disney, the Flying Fish Cafe, and the chef's counter at Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Dinner Shows

If you are looking for entertainment while you dine The Spirit of the Aloha at the Polynesian Resort and the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness are both great dinner shows. For more low key show options the Sci-Fi Dine in Theater at Hollywood Studios and the Marrakesh Restaurant in EPCOT both offer great entertainment.

Dinner with a View

A great view can take your mind off of dining alone and provide entertainment. The Coral Reef Restaurant allows for a fun dining experience at the Seas Pavilion in EPCOT.

Disney's fireworks are some of the best you will see and several restaurants at Disney World offer a great view.

'Ohana, Narcoosee's, and California Grill all offer great viewing of Wishes. Rose and Crown, La Hacienda de San Angel, Bistro de Paris, Cantina de San Angel, and Tokyo Dining are all great places to see Illuminations.

Parting Tips

The most important thing I want you to get out of this is that dining alone at Disney doesn't have to be intimidating or boring. It can be a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people. I would also recommend bringing a book or your iPhone to entertain yourself. Just remember to enjoy yourself (and the delicious food!)

For more tips and to join in on our discussion visit our forum's page on Solo Disney Travel.

What are your tips for solo dining at Disney?

Gaylin wrote on Mon, 05/07/2012 - 05:55:

I went on a solo trip in 2008 and I enjoyed it tremendously. I ate at table service and quick service and never got bored. I found that a few times the cast member who was serving me would drop by a bit more often to check in or chat. In Sunshine Seasons I asked another woman who was eating solo if I could join her. We had a great lunch together, she lived in Celebrations and came to WDW often.

My suggestion is to look for other solo travellers at the counter service restaurants and ask if they want company.

I also really enjoyed being able to people watch during meals. I didn't bring a book and don't have a cell phone or pda, I didn't get bored at all.

I recommend relaxing and enjoying yourself. I know I did.

Kristen K. wrote on Mon, 05/07/2012 - 11:36:

Great solo dining tips all!

JoAnn C wrote on Mon, 05/07/2012 - 12:15:

JoAnn C's picture

Buffets are are also a good place for a solo meal. Character buffets are a little challenging when solo.

I had dinner solo at Chef Mickeys last year. I asked my server if he would take a picture of me with Mickey. He took the pictures quickly and they didn't come out so great. When Minnie came around I asked him again if he would take my picture and he disappeared. Another server came back and I asked if she would take a picture. She took her time and the pictures turned out great. I felt like I wasn't important to my server since I was solo.

I had a much better solo experience at Tusker House for breakfast the next morning. My server was awesome (I wish I could remember her name). She offered to take my picture with the characters. I was just as important as her other customers. I was seated next to a couple. They took my picture with all the characters and I took theirs.

Another good place for solo dining is the ESPN Club. You may get lucky and be seated in one of the recliners. I did!

Kristina wrote on Sun, 05/13/2012 - 13:17:

Great tips for solo dining.

Ill be going on my third solo trip in November and I love going at my own. My tip for eating solo is to just be confident. Don't be afraid to eat anywhere. Ill go to the Brownor eat in Japan.....or France....wherever. The waitstaff is typically more chatty w you. And I get to do my favorite past time....people watch.

When I eat counter service meals, I've had great conversations with other solo diners. Since you are at Disney people are way more friendlier then anyplace back home (although, I am from NJ).

kmac0124 wrote on Sun, 05/13/2012 - 23:24:

This article gave some great tips. I ate solo at the Sci-Fi and had a great time. I sat in the back of the car and enjoyed the show. I did move out and stand when the family in front of me asked for a photo. They didn't ask me to but I didn't want them to have a random hitchhiker in their photo!

Kristen K. wrote on Tue, 05/15/2012 - 12:45:

LoL!! My sone would have smiled and done something weird. On our last trip he was so into "photo bombing" people. That was very nice of you to move.

Jason wrote on Thu, 06/28/2012 - 05:51:

I am planning my very first solo vacation to Walt Disney World. My family and girlfriend considers this kind of strang. I have considered on taking my IPad to read while eating dinner. My counselor suggested that I take this solo trip to tackle my anxiety of vacationing alone.

Kristen K. wrote on Thu, 06/28/2012 - 11:34:

That's a great idea Jason! I also suggest eating at bars/counters where you can. Flying Fish, California Grill & SciFi Diner all have full dinner service at a counter setting where you'll have people you can talk to!

ShoppingKid wrote on Sun, 07/29/2012 - 14:15:

I am going on my second solo visit to Disney World in November. I love it. I can get up and go where I want, when I want. And dining is never a problem. I make my reservations with plenty of time in advance. My favorites are Jikos and Via Napoli. And something else to keep in mind about Disney World...where else in the world can a woman wander around at night and be safe? Really, it's the best!