WDW Skyliner To Open Fall 2019 - UPDATED

Login to post comments
43 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture
WDW Skyliner To Open Fall 2019 - UPDATED

Those who have been anxiously awaiting the new transportation options at Walt Disney WOrld will be happy to hear that the state-of-the-art gondola transportation system connecting Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney Pop Century, and Art of Animation along with Disney Riviera Hotel is set to begin transporting guests in Fall of 2019.

For now thought the work continues, somewhat disrupting the flow at DHS. The walk to the buses is quite a hike. I admit that the closer this gets the more curious I am about it. I'm still not sure I could ride without having a panic attack, but the thought of getting some new angles on Disney photography is tempting.

Will this new transportation system make a difference for you?

UPDATED 4/25: Disney just put out the estimated times it will take to ride the Skyliner to the Parks. Now, these of course do not include standing in line to get on the Skyliner. That's going to be a crap shoot, but with the continuous motion the gondolas will have, the lines will hopefully move steadily. Even when you have to stand in line it seems like this will beat the bus.

Approximate Skyliner ride times fro Disney:

* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Hollywood Studios: 5-6 minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Pop Century Resort or Disney's Art of Animation Resort: under six minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Riviera Resort: about 5 minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to International Gateway at Epcot: approximately 15 minutes

Allie's picture

We're staying at Caribbean Beach in June and rumors had been pointing to a spring 2019 release. Bummer! Would have loved to try it out but there's always next trip!

Kristen K.'s picture

This incident at Sea World San Diego does not calm my fear of heights, nor does it boost my confidence in me getting on Disney's Skyliner. I've really been trying to talk myself into riding the Skyliner so that I can better blog about it. Face my fears and all that. I think this set me back a bit.

16 People Rescued From Malfunctioning Gondola Ride at SeaWorld San Diego
https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/seaworld-ride-malfunction-february-2019

Vettelover's picture

I'm quite certain that incident got the attention of the front office and the Disney Imagineers. Blueprints and plans will be checked and double checked. eek

JMed's picture

I dread even opening and reading this but here I go....

Ah yeah, NOPE. Nope nope nope. I would have had a stroke myself dangling from a harness.. There ain't no way I would have stepped out of that thing. Bring me a bucket, food and water thanks Bob...

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

oHIo's picture

JMed wrote:

Ah yeah, NOPE. Nope nope nope. I would have had a stroke myself dangling from a harness.. There ain't no way I would have stepped out of that thing. Bring me a bucket, food and water thanks Bob...

Add to that list, clean underwear!! eek eek rolling rolling

Kristen K.'s picture

JMed wrote:
There ain't no way I would have stepped out of that thing. Bring me a bucket, food and water thanks Bob...

laugh I said the exact same thing to Becks. She told me not to forget the Xanex.

I look at it more as a ride than transportation! I'm excited!!

Am I the only one that thinks getting stuck would be coolio? yay

JoAnn C's picture

I'm excited to try it.

alicemouse's picture

I'm super excited about the gondolas. Benn is...um...less excited than I am.

Hey JoAnn! I was just looking at your ticker. I think we almost ended up on the same Alaskan cruise, but I couldn't get the return flight to work out for Benn to get back to work in time. That's why we took Bermuda instead.

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:

This was her position on the Skyliner until I tempted her with a Skyliner crawl. lol

JoAnn C's picture

I will be at Pop for the first few days of my trip next month. I'll get some updated pictures.

JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:

This was her position on the Skyliner until I tempted her with a Skyliner crawl. lol

Well played, JoAnn!!!! rolling rolling

Allie's picture

We'll be at Caribbean Beach June 15th. Crossing my fingers that all this testing is boding well for an early release crossfingers crossfingers crossfingers

JMed's picture

JeffC wrote:
JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:

Alcohol and JoAnn, talks me into anything.... LOL

JoAnn C's picture

JMed wrote:
JeffC wrote:
JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:

Alcohol and JoAnn, talks me into anything.... LOL

rolling rolling rolling rolling

Kristen K.'s picture

JeffC wrote:
JoAnn C wrote:
JMed wrote:

Hahaha - I'm not sure me being drunk would make the experience better. laugh

Kristen K.'s picture

DFB shared a peek inside the new Skyliner Gondolas... check it out!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2019/04/16/first-look-we-go-inside-disneys-skyliner-gondola-ventilation-wheelchair-accessibility-and-seating-questions-answered/

Mandy's picture

I am excited for this. I also want to know what the evacuation plan is. I am really hoping they have a good plan in place to get the guests off quickly. Also people keep complaining that it will become a hot box if it breaks because of there being no A/C and they are also saying that having no A/C period is a bad decision.

Kristen K.'s picture

Disney just put out the estimated times it will take to ride the Skyliner to the Parks. Now, these of course do not include standing in line to get on the Skyliner. That's going to be a crap shoot, but with the continuous motion the gondolas will have, the lines will hopefully move steadily. Even when you have to stand in line it seems like this will beat the bus.

Approximate Skyliner ride times fro Disney:

* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Hollywood Studios: 5-6 minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Pop Century Resort or Disney's Art of Animation Resort: under six minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Riviera Resort: about 5 minutes
* Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to International Gateway at Epcot: approximately 15 minutes

JMed's picture

Can I just say, I am starting to get excited about this? I will probably freak out on it but I want to try it.

Wonder if they will pack you in with people you don't know? I need people to be still on these things.

Allie's picture

JMed wrote:
Can I just say, I am starting to get excited about this? I will probably freak out on it but I want to try it.

Wonder if they will pack you in with people you don't know? I need people to be still on these things.

I think they said it seats 10, right? So I'd assume so. Similar to a smaller monorail car?

Kristen K.'s picture

Allie wrote:
JMed wrote:

I think they said it seats 10, right? So I'd assume so. Similar to a smaller monorail car?

Yes, they said it seats 10 and that it is wheelchair friendly.

Honestly I'm a bit excited about it too, but I know I will have a complete meltdown.

We got a closer look of them in action this morning as we pulled into HS. I can't wait!

wdwizbest's picture

No A/C. No thanks.

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

Kristen K.'s picture

wdwizbest wrote:
No A/C. No thanks.

I know, right! They say that the cabs have been designed to stay cool through special heat reflective glass and vents that will produce a cross breeze. I'm still skeptical. In the winter, fine, but in the heat and humidity of summer I'm having a hard time imagining that they will be comfortable. How well will that cross breeze work when there are 10 sweaty people inside?

wdwizbest's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
wdwizbest wrote:
No A/C. No thanks.

I know, right! They say that the cabs have been designed to stay cool through special heat reflective glass and vents that will produce a cross breeze. I'm still skeptical. In the winter, fine, but in the heat and humidity of summer I'm having a hard time imagining that they will be comfortable. How well will that cross breeze work when there are 10 sweaty people inside?

...and it breaks down/stops for 15 minutes. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

"leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." " Walt Disney "

The sweaty people thing turns me off too. Same reason I don't like the buses or the monorail in the summer. laugh

I think the humidity would be hard to manage. I can't wait for the first reviews!

Kristen K.'s picture

wdwizbest wrote:

...and it breaks down/stops for 15 minutes. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Or even just for loading ECVs. I read someplace that they can stop the cars to load wheelchairs. I have no idea if that is a full stop of the line, or just a stop of a single car. Only time will tell. If I do give it a try (which I am still iffy on) I will make sure that I do so in the winter. Though thinking of winter, January can get pretty dern cold, and if there is no a/c I'm sure there won't be heat, and with the open window ventilation, what is that going to feel like? sad

Allie's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
wdwizbest wrote:

Or even just for loading ECVs. I read someplace that they can stop the cars to load wheelchairs. I have no idea if that is a full stop of the line, or just a stop of a single car. Only time will tell. If I do give it a try (which I am still iffy on) I will make sure that I do so in the winter. Though thinking of winter, January can get pretty dern cold, and if there is no a/c I'm sure there won't be heat, and with the open window ventilation, what is that going to feel like? sad

In what I've been reading, it is predicted it will be run like similar systems in that you can basically pull the car from the track to load an ECV without it stopping the line. I have no idea how that works with getting it back on the line...like if they have empty spots every so often that they can reattach onto?

Kristen K.'s picture

Allie wrote:
Kristen K. wrote:
wdwizbest wrote:

In what I've been reading, it is predicted it will be run like similar systems in that you can basically pull the car from the track to load an ECV without it stopping the line. I have no idea how that works with getting it back on the line...like if they have empty spots every so often that they can reattach onto?

Ahh OK, pulling it from the line makes a bit more sense. With the number of week long scooter rentals these days I can imagine that it will leave plenty of open spots to push the gondolas back onto the main line.