JanJ and KenJ's April 2015 Trip Report

Login to post comments
299 posts / 0 new

JeffC wrote:
Spectacular pictures, as always, Ken!! Thanks for sharing. clapping

Thanks, Jeff! mickey

JMed wrote:
A photographer after my own heart. I love to be up early snapping! Great pics, really makes one feel like they are right there with you.

And to think, I was up early just playing on the computer listening to the rain waiting

Yeah, the early morning is one of the best times for photos. It's so peaceful around the resorts at that time of day.

I really like the main lobby lighting. It looks so different throughout the day.

MrHub's picture

Ya know, those sushi & sashimi pictures are driving me crazy. Guess I'm gonna have to go get some know, or make some.

JanJ's picture

So today was a resort day. Breakfast was at The Wave over at the Contemporary and we had planned to go to MK this afternoon, but the crowds scared us off. We spent some time at the pool and have just wandered around the resort. It truly is beautiful. Tonight is dinner at the Cali Grill - so looking forward to that. biggrin

As Jan said, this was a resort day for us. Lounging in the pool and then walking around the grounds is so relaxing.

Here are some photos I took of random stuff today.

Uh oh... there's that construction!

The hub construction was really all about this...the castle is now in what is known as Cinderella's Forest.

Jan tried her magic band, but alas, it did not grant entry. Booooo!

Each bungalow has a unique wind chime hanging by the front door.

Beware birds...don't try to roost on the Bora Bora Bungalows!

MrHub's picture

Yeah and do you feel staying in a bungalow with all those lightning rods on the roof?

Mad Hatter's picture

Great pics, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to be there myself! biggrin

Things get curiouser and curiouser...

I am speechless at the beauty of your photos, G says thanks!

Thanks for the pictures of the front. I now can not wait to see it for myself.

Miss Mikki's picture

Hi Ken and Jan, I am just catching up with your trip report. Your pictures of the Polynesian are outstanding. I have really enjoyed seeing the updates on the construction and refurbishment. Continue to have a great vacation. stars

no ticker Sad

jw24's picture

Great pics. Being that I love steak and lobster, the surf and turf you had Narcoossee's looked so good. It's really interesting to see all the pics and the progress over at Poly. Nowadays, I've been watching videos of the Traders Sams Grog Grotto. Sounds like a great spot though it's been packed because it's relatively small and sits about 50 people. I recall some people were unhappy about the old giant waterfall in the lobby being removed but at least, there are still some small waterfalls throughout the resort. Not that I think it'll be enough to fill that void but it's better than having none at all.

"All my life I wonder how it feels to pass a day, not above them but part of them.

And out there living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one to hold forever. Out there where they all live unaware, what I'd give, what I'd dare, just to live one day out there."

alicemouse's picture

How does the new hub look from inside MK? After DL, I'm really excited to see more green space around the castle!

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Thanks everyone! Alicemouse, I will get some pics of the hub area and post them up.

On a complete sidenote, one slightly annoying thing we are finding with our room is the bathroom fan. I don't think it is specific to the Poly either. In the quest for energy efficiency, Disney has installed motion sensors on the fans in the bathrooms. This sounds great in theory, but in practice it doesn't work well.

The fan has no power switch and simply activates whenever you walk into the bathroom... EVERY time you walk into the bathroom. Just washing your hands quickly? Fan comes on. Quick pee break in the middle of the night? Fan comes on. Just want to brush your teeth? Yep, fan comes on. In fact, just walking past the bathroom in the hallway sometimes activates the fan.

The fan turns off after about 5 minutes. But even more annoying is that it will turn off when it's needed most. Like if you're in the middle of having a shower. It doesn't see motion in the room and because you're behind a curtain, it turns off. Same thing happens if you're in there for other reasons that take more than 5 minutes (I'll leave the details out. lol).

A much better idea would be a simple 5/15/30 minute timer. That way, the fan only comes on when you want it to, and it stays on for a reasonable time based on what's going on.

Spook's picture

They had switches like that at the All Star resorts before. I think last time we stayed there, the fan just came on when you turned the light on. When we stayed at BLT, there were 3 switches in the bathroom! One for a light above the sink, one for above the shower and then a main light. The fan came on with the main light.

jhugo's picture

Amazing pictures!!! Makes me want to change my stay from Wilderness to Poly! Looking forward to more. awesome

jhugo wrote:
Amazing pictures!!! Makes me want to change my stay from Wilderness to Poly! Looking forward to more. awesome

Thanks! The Poly sure is nice. It really feels like a tropical paradise!

Here are some shots from today so far. We hit Downtown Disney to check out what's new. The construction is coming along nicely and there are references around the place to Disney Springs. Note the plaques on the new bridge. And that new bridge makes a HUGE difference in the speed of getting from the boat dock to the main area.

We then headed to Epcot via Hollywood Studios and walked along the path to the International Gateway entrance.

Funny story... we were sitting at a bus stop at SSR for an Epcot bound bus. A DHS bus pulled up and after a couple of people got on, the bus driver said to us "Hey, wanna come with me to Hollywood Studios?". I said "You know what? Sure!". He said "Really???" LOL. I really don't think he expected us to say yes. Haha. We then explained that we can still get to Epcot via his bus.

Anyway, on to the photos...

Had a craving for fish n chips so we stopped in at Rose & Crown. I really enjoyed this meal...

Jan saw this Dooney and had to have it. F&G special edition purse.

We noticed various film crews in different spots. They are doing something for a morning show from what I could gather.

We then wanted to check out the large building next to Test Track that is only open for special events. Here it is...

Now, back at the Poly...

They removed the remaining construction walls at the entrance so it is now all done!

MrHub's picture

Nice pictures once again! I'm sure Scrappy would have wanted & purchased that purse too if we were there. laugh Was the boathouse restaurant open while you were at DTD? I've been watching the websites to try and get us a resi for Sept. I think I want one of those meat lollipops! Tongue

JanJ's picture

Meeting CCP and her hubby for a drink shortly in the Poly lobby and then we're off to MK tonight. We have a FP for wishes so we can watch from the hub. More pictures later. wink

Still loving the pictures. Almost as good as being there. I also LOVE the Dooney purse!!! I think that is even the size I like best.

MrHub's picture

JanJ wrote:
Meeting CCP and her hubby for a drink shortly in the Poly lobby and then we're off to MK tonight. We have a FP for wishes so we can watch from the hub. More pictures later. wink

Great! Have fun and a Rye Manhattan for me Ken!

JanJ's picture

MrHub wrote:
Nice pictures once again! I'm sure Scrappy would have wanted & purchased that purse too if we were there. laugh Was the boathouse restaurant open while you were at DTD? I've been watching the websites to try and get us a resi for Sept. I think I want one of those meat lollipops! Tongue

Yep, it was open. There's also a store too, but we didn't go in. Meat lollipops? Sounds right up Ken's alley! laugh

I almost didn't buy the purse, but I love the colours and the design, so I decided to treat myself. wink

MrHub wrote:
JanJ wrote:

Great! Have fun and a Rye Manhattan for me Ken!

I just realized that I haven't had one yet this trip... I must remedy that quickly! biggrin

Of course you had to treat yourself! If I only bought one if I needed it...well, let's not go there. I do think that, that one may be my favorite pattern yet.