JanJ and KenJ's April 2015 Trip Report

Login to post comments
299 posts / 0 new
fmknightuk's picture

I love the photo of the builder sprinkling the shells. I seems such a tiny detail compared to the scale of the whole project. Interested to know the reason for them? The Ohana feast looks perfect awesome

Fiona

fmknightuk wrote:
I love the photo of the builder sprinkling the shells. I seems such a tiny detail compared to the scale of the whole project. Interested to know the reason for them? The Ohana feast looks perfect awesome

I believe it's purely cosmetic. If you look closely at most of the paths at WDW, they have little pebbles and sometimes shells embedded in the surface. I think it's just to add interest and not look like just plain old concrete.

MrHub's picture

KenJ wrote:
I'm always impressed with little details like this...

When room service came to deliver our "feast", she propped open our main door by using the cupboard door. They even have a striker plate where it makes contact.

I remember the first time I saw the bellman use that when they brought the luggage to our room.

JanJ's picture

Ok, so I know Ken already said this, but I am definitely Polyfied. Went for a power walk this morning over to the Grand Floridian and back and then around our resort. Just breathtaking. Now I'm just sitting out on our balcony having my morning coffee. They workers are back pouring concrete again and Ken is definitely sick as he's still in bed instead of watching. Sounds like the start of the flu. sad

So it looks like I'll be on my own again today. Nothing is worse than feeling sick at WDW.

Vettelover's picture

Sending Ken get well quick wishes. stars stars

The Colonel's picture

Oh yeah. That Ohana feast will settle your stomach! awesome

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

Allie's picture

KenJ wrote:

When room service came to deliver our "feast", she propped open our main door by using the cupboard door. They even have a striker plate where it makes contact.

How smart is that?! And the Ohana room service....oh man....was it a long wait from when you ordered to when you got it to your room? That definitely seems to be the way to go rather then trying to snag an ADR and eat in a crowded restaurant! awesome

Allie's picture

And hope poor Ken feels better! What a bummer to be sick on vacation sad sad sad

alicemouse's picture

Oh no! Feel better soon, Ken!

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

JanJ's picture

Allie wrote:
KenJ wrote:

How smart is that?! And the Ohana room service....oh man....was it a long wait from when you ordered to when you got it to your room? That definitely seems to be the way to go rather then trying to snag an ADR and eat in a crowded restaurant! awesome

Hey Allie - it only took about 35-40 min, if that, for the food to arrive, so it's definitely the better way to go IMO. But, you have to be staying here. wink

The Colonel wrote:
Oh yeah. That Ohana feast will settle your stomach! awesome

Yeah, probably not the best thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Ken was hungry as he hadn't really eaten all day so it sounded good at the time. biggrin

Off to Epcot this morning and at least I'll be going to MK for dinner at Tony's and a Wishes FP later today. Hopefully Ken will be up for it after some rest.

Spook's picture

On no! Get well soon Ken sad

BarbaraB's picture

Feel better soon, Ken.

I'm really enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

KenJ wrote:

I would probably see the striker plate on the door and say, "I wonder why they put that there." It's really pretty ingenious.

~ Barb ~

oHIo's picture

stars Sendng Ken some pixie dust and hoping that he feels better soon!

Allie's picture

JanJ wrote:

Hey Allie - it only took about 35-40 min, if that, for the food to arrive, so it's definitely the better way to go IMO. But, you have to be staying here. wink

Well that's just another item on the long list of reasons to stay at the Poly! awesome

JanJ's picture

Just finished riding Test Track and now having the Piggylicious cupcake as a morning snack. I swear I was the only actual "single rider" that went thru the single rider line! confused

Cupcake is pretty good I must say.

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg1.12 MB
Mrferret's picture

JanJ wrote:
Just finished riding Test Track and now having the Piggylicious cupcake as a morning snack. I swear I was the only actual "single rider" that went thru the single rider line! confused

Cupcake is pretty good I must say.

OM actual G that is sooooo on the top of our must do list (It's my idea of fine dining date )

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I just got up (12:30) and I'm feeling not too bad except I haven't eaten anything yet. Just having an orange juice on the balcony. Never really gotten sick on vacation before, but I guess it's bound to happen at some point. It's not hard to pick up a bug here when I think of it. The pull cord on TSM comes to mind. yuck

Mad Hatter's picture

Hope it passes quickly and you are feeling much better soon crossfingers

Things get curiouser and curiouser...

93boomer's picture

Glad you are feeling a bit better today!! Take it easy the rest of your trip.
And another reason I carry anti-bacterial gel with me and use it religiously after those rides. silly

MrHub's picture

Feel betters soon my friend, and yes it does suck to be sick on vacation.

JanJ's picture

Just finished my solo dinner at Tony's. Asked for a table on the patio and had a front row seat for the flag retreat ceremony. I've never seen that before. I left Ken back at the Poly with some crackers and a vitamin water. I'm really hoping he feels better tomorrow for our last day.

Dinner was delicious and I'll upload pictures later. Every time I try to here, it stalls.

Edited to add dinner shots. The pork with the polenta was delicious!

PreviewAttachmentSize
image.jpg
image.jpg1.78 MB
image.jpg
image.jpg1.39 MB
JMed's picture

Feel better soon Ken!

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

JoAnn C's picture

Ken - hope you feel better

Jan - that cupcake does look good. Where did you get it?

JanJ's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
Ken - hope you feel better

Jan - that cupcake does look good. Where did you get it?

I got it from the smokehouse booth at the American pavilion. It's for the F&G Festival.

Eeyore's picture

Loving the report! Ken, feel better soon!

JanJ's picture

Did quite a bit at the MK tonight - splash mountain, BTRM, HM, 7DMT, Goofy's Barnstormer and the people mover. Finished off with the electric parade and wishes.

Also finally experienced Ellen's energy adventure at Epcot today. It was a nice way to cool off and I recall riding that one back in 1986 when it was something else. Can't exactly remember, but the set up was familiar to me.

Hopefully we have a good last day tomorrow. Plan is to go back to MK.

Allie's picture

Hope Ken is feeling better on your last day! Glad to hear you liked Tony's, it's on the docket for our December trip.

JanJ's picture

Once the rain stops we'll be headed out to MK. So far Ken is feeling ok. crossfingers

Allie wrote:
Hope Ken is feeling better on your last day! Glad to hear you liked Tony's, it's on the docket for our December trip.

Thanks Allie. We love Tony's - I believe we've eaten there at least 4 times now. It's our favourite at MK.

The Colonel's picture

Tony's must have changed it up. The last couple of times I went (years ago) it was plated food and it was awful. The characters were fantastic, but the food not so good.

See my Disney Photography at...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

DVC owner since 2002 BCV/BWV/BLT/VGC

JanJ's picture

The Colonel wrote:
Tony's must have changed it up. The last couple of times I went (years ago) it was plated food and it was awful. The characters were fantastic, but the food not so good.

There are no characters now and not sure if there was at some point. It's mostly pasta, but I had the best pork tenderloin with carrots and polenta last night. The salads are really good too.