JanJ and KenJ's April 2015 Trip Report

Login to post comments
299 posts / 0 new
alicemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/22/2013
Posts: 2832

KenJ wrote:

Regarding the construction, I may be an oddball, but I actually don't mind it one bit. In fact, I quite enjoy watching Disney construction happen. It's very interesting to see them work and how much attention to detail they have. They are very careful in what they disturb and always make sure the landscaping is pristine before leaving at the end of the day.

I heard another person yesterday stating that she was not pleased with all the construction going on and that "they should just close the entire resort" while it's going on. Really? Did she not know about this ahead of time? We received not 1, but 2 letters in advance reminding us that construction is going on. There is really no excuse for people to show up here and then complain about construction.

Agreed, Ken. Sure it's great when everything is perfectly constructed to immerse you in a fairytale world, but the construction is fascinating, too. Also, construction means that Disney isn't resting on their laurels. They're making investments in our future entertainment and enjoyment. It's also good for the local economy in Florida, which continues to struggle, to have construction folks busy at work.

__________________

Be good at something. It makes you valuable. Have something to bring to the table because that will make you more welcome. --Randy Pausch

Find me on Facebook

Trip Reports:
December 2013: 10th Anniversary, 1st DVC Stay | April 2014: Birthday on the Boardwalk | May 2014: Star Wars Weekend, Navigating WDW with a wheelchair | August 2014: Villains Unleashed | September/October 2014: MNSSHP, F&W, Tower of Terror 10-miler | March/April 2015: Disneyland and California Coastal Cruise | November 2015: Wine & Dine Half, Food & Wine, 1st Disney Cruise | February 2016: Presidential Classic Gymnastics Meet | March 2016: "Work" Trip, Tours, F&G Festival | April 2016: Conference at Disneyland | Fall 2016: Festive Fall Fun | January 2017: Festival of the Arts | May 2017: AbD Backstage Magic | July 2017: AbD San Francisco | Sorry I had to give up doing trip reports. Too many time commitments right now.

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

I am like you Ken, I loved watching the construction. We did not mind being there during it at all. In fact, there was much more going on while we were there in January and it never bothered us. We too heard a lot of complaining from other guests about the construction. We even heard one woman complaining that "they" I(the Poly) was going to have to do something for her because she was allergic to dust and there was dust everywhere. I just do not understand why anyone would book there if the construction or dust was going to bother them. Like you, we did receive a letter before we went in January and have already received one for our September trip. I have LOVED watching the Poly change.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

scrappy wrote:
I am like you Ken, I loved watching the construction. We did not mind being there during it at all. In fact, there was much more going on while we were there in January and it never bothered us. We too heard a lot of complaining from other guests about the construction. We even heard one woman complaining that "they" I(the Poly) was going to have to do something for her because she was allergic to dust and there was dust everywhere. I just do not understand why anyone would book there if the construction or dust was going to bother them. Like you, we did receive a letter before we went in January and have already received one for our September trip. I have LOVED watching the Poly change.

awesome

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

alicemouse wrote:
KenJ wrote:

Regarding the construction, I may be an oddball, but I actually don't mind it one bit. In fact, I quite enjoy watching Disney construction happen. It's very interesting to see them work and how much attention to detail they have. They are very careful in what they disturb and always make sure the landscaping is pristine before leaving at the end of the day.

I heard another person yesterday stating that she was not pleased with all the construction going on and that "they should just close the entire resort" while it's going on. Really? Did she not know about this ahead of time? We received not 1, but 2 letters in advance reminding us that construction is going on. There is really no excuse for people to show up here and then complain about construction.

Agreed, Ken. Sure it's great when everything is perfectly constructed to immerse you in a fairytale world, but the construction is fascinating, too. Also, construction means that Disney isn't resting on their laurels. They're making investments in our future entertainment and enjoyment. It's also good for the local economy in Florida, which continues to struggle, to have construction folks busy at work.

awesome

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

I bet if there was no construction and the resort needed updating, these same people would complain about that. There's no pleasing some folks gaah

Loving the pictures! Glad your having a good time awesome

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Spook wrote:
I bet if there was no construction and the resort needed updating, these same people would complain about that. There's no pleasing some folks gaah

Loving the pictures! Glad your having a good time awesome

Thanks, Spook! Yep, you're probably right about the complaining.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

A short construction video for your viewing pleasure... mickey

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Went to AK this morning and it was an absolute zoo. LOL. Seriously, it was packed. We rode Dinosaur and then Jan rode Primeval Hurl by herself. We both weren't really into AK today so we exited the park afterwards.

The chaos:

The tranquility:

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

We jumped on a bus from AK to YC and walked over to Epcot for lunch at Tokyo Dining.

93boomer's picture
Offline
Joined: 11/16/2013
Posts: 902

Loving those pictures! I keep looking to see if I can see my DD and her DH in any of them since they are pretty much in the same parks as you are so far. So far not seen them! laugh Whoa!! Too many people in AK for me!! That is what they make PH for and why we always get one. We can't handle that many in one place either.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

Wow! Pictures are awesome Ken! I also agree with you 100% about the construction. It is neat watching how they work.

God, you should go check out the Tikiman's Facebook page and see all the complainer, it's freaking ridiculous. I honestly don't even like reading that page anymore do to all the complainers, then they start with their, "well Disney better be giving me a discount because of this construction", or the noise, or the dust. They must think people don't see them as idiots. They booked a resort that is under major construction!!!!!!

But anyway, looks & sounds like you are having a great time. The Poly really, really grows on you huh? and yeah, if scrappy had not wanted those DVC points at the GFV, we might be owners at the Poly right now and have plans for one of those bungalows in September! gaah

But that's okay, who knows what next year might bring and heck, we might just finish up with some BLT points and then have our choice of Monorail resorts then. biggrin crossfingers

Allie's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/26/2012
Posts: 5477

Wow, AK looks insane! I'm drooling over those Tokyo dining pictures, though!

Spook's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/27/2012
Posts: 2786

Wow! I've never seen AK so packed! eek

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

MrHub wrote:
Wow! Pictures are awesome Ken! I also agree with you 100% about the construction. It is neat watching how they work.

God, you should go check out the Tikiman's Facebook page and see all the complainer, it's freaking ridiculous. I honestly don't even like reading that page anymore do to all the complainers, then they start with their, "well Disney better be giving me a discount because of this construction", or the noise, or the dust. They must think people don't see them as idiots. They booked a resort that is under major construction!!!!!!

But anyway, looks & sounds like you are having a great time. The Poly really, really grows on you huh? and yeah, if scrappy had not wanted those DVC points at the GFV, we might be owners at the Poly right now and have plans for one of those bungalows in September! gaah

But that's okay, who knows what next year might bring and heck, we might just finish up with some BLT points and then have our choice of Monorail resorts then. biggrin crossfingers

Thanks, MrHub! I do find it very strange that people would book themselves in at the Poly and then complain about the construction. It is so widely known by now that there is really no excuse to complain. Crazy stuff.

We've only been here a couple of days but I think it's safe to say that we're officially "Polyfied". biggrin

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

So, here is what the construction near the east pool looks like right now. It appears they are building a new path. We then noticed an updated board that shows the new pool area! It looks like they are going to remove the current pool and build a brand new one along with a hot tub, bar and grill.

We were just swimming in the current pool but a CM told us it will be closing "very soon" although they didn't know exactly what day.

Old map:

New map:

Old East Pool:

New Oasis Pool:

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3849

Spook wrote:
Wow! I've never seen AK so packed! eek

I was thinking the exact same thing! That is crazy!

Loving all the Poly pics. Makes me want to book a stay there!

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

JMed wrote:
Spook wrote:
Wow! I've never seen AK so packed! eek

I was thinking the exact same thing! That is crazy!

Loving all the Poly pics. Makes me want to book a stay there!

Thanks, JMed. We are thoroughly enjoying being at the Poly. It is simply awesome.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Another interesting thing I've observed since being here is that I've hardly seen any selfie sticks. I've seen maybe 6 or 7 of them this trip. And usually, they are folded up in their smallest position. Nothing like what it was back in January where everyone seemed to have one.

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

KenJ wrote:
MrHub wrote:
Wow! Pictures are awesome Ken! I also agree with you 100% about the construction. It is neat watching how they work.

God, you should go check out the Tikiman's Facebook page and see all the complainer, it's freaking ridiculous. I honestly don't even like reading that page anymore do to all the complainers, then they start with their, "well Disney better be giving me a discount because of this construction", or the noise, or the dust. They must think people don't see them as idiots. They booked a resort that is under major construction!!!!!!

But anyway, looks & sounds like you are having a great time. The Poly really, really grows on you huh? and yeah, if scrappy had not wanted those DVC points at the GFV, we might be owners at the Poly right now and have plans for one of those bungalows in September! gaah

But that's okay, who knows what next year might bring and heck, we might just finish up with some BLT points and then have our choice of Monorail resorts then. biggrin crossfingers

Thanks, MrHub! I do find it very strange that people would book themselves in at the Poly and then complain about the construction. It is so widely known by now that there is really no excuse to complain. Crazy stuff.

We've only been here a couple of days but I think it's safe to say that we're officially "Polyfied". biggrin


awesome on the Polyfied. We sort of figured that would happen, but we were hoping we didn't over do the awesomeness of it to you. biggrin beach

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

Good morning
Thanks for my Poly fix this morning. Love the pictures!

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

scrappy wrote:
Good morning
Thanks for my Poly fix this morning. Love the pictures!

Stay tuned Scrappy! I'm about to upload 55 new Poly photos. I went out at 6 am this morning to get some pre-dawn photos around the resort. biggrin

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

The best time to take photos of a resort is just before dawn as there is basically nobody around. I went out at 6:00 am this morning to get some shots around the Poly.

First, the main building and lobby. It was funny to hear dance music thumping from the still closed Boutiki as CMs were readying it for the day.

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

Then I walked around outside just before and as the sun was coming up...

Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 1905

yay clapping
What great picture. Loved walking around the Poly through your pictures. Is the construction at the front doors complete? If so, could you get a few pictures of both sides? I have not seen much about that recently.

JMed's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/16/2014
Posts: 3849

A photographer after my own heart. I love to be up early snapping! Great pics, really makes one feel like they are right there with you.

And to think, I was up early just playing on the computer listening to the rain waiting

__________________

"I do not like the cone of shame."

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere. I want it more than I can tell."

"It seems to me that we have a lot of story yet to tell."

Jennifer Huotari | Create Your Badge

The Huotari's Disney Adventures | Promote Your Page Too

MrHub's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2009
Posts: 9497

scrappy wrote:
yay clapping
What great picture. Loved walking around the Poly through your pictures. Is the construction at the front doors complete? If so, could you get a few pictures of both sides? I have not seen much about that recently.

Oh yes, please if you can get some good pictures of the main entrance to the Great Cerimonial House.

Offline
Joined: 09/12/2010
Posts: 4703

Spectacular pictures, as always, Ken!! Thanks for sharing. clapping

Offline
Joined: 07/19/2013
Posts: 1557

scrappy wrote:
yay clapping
What great picture. Loved walking around the Poly through your pictures. Is the construction at the front doors complete? If so, could you get a few pictures of both sides? I have not seen much about that recently.

MrHub wrote:
scrappy wrote:
yay clapping
What great picture. Loved walking around the Poly through your pictures. Is the construction at the front doors complete? If so, could you get a few pictures of both sides? I have not seen much about that recently.

Oh yes, please if you can get some good pictures of the main entrance to the Great Cerimonial House.

Okay, I went out front to look and when facing the front doors from outside, the left side has some construction going on near the stairs up to the monorail platform. The right side appears to be done.

Here are some quick shots. Left and right based on facing the front doors from outside...

Left side:

Right side: