June 2013 - The Great Wedding Road Trip - Final thoughts

Login to post comments
195 posts / 0 new
Kristen K.'s picture

Becks534 wrote:
Obviously, my laptop is still on vacation. Sorry for the double...ack...make that triple post! mickey

No worries! I deleted them mickey

Allie's picture

Sorry to hear about the EoS troubles, but great trip report so far! And, as per usual, your pictures are all lovely!

KrystalT's picture

Love reading your trip report so far and your pictures are great!! I really like the one of the Cinderella statue Smile

Coronado Springs 2000
Art of Animation-Cars 2013
PORS AND POFQ 2014
PORS 2015

SpamGoddess's picture

Your pictures are absolutely stunning, Kristen!!

Kristen K.'s picture

SpamGoddess wrote:
Your pictures are absolutely stunning, Kristen!!

Thank you so much!

I have decent composition on my own, but I rented a Nikon D5000 for the trip and it really took them up a level. I used Kingdom Camera Rentals and was super happy with the entire experience.

Kristen K.'s picture

Day 3 in WDW - Wedding Day!

I'm going to purposefully leave a lot of details out of this one. Becks can fill them in in she wishes. mickey

I woke up at 5:00AM to kick Tori off of the sleeper sofa, fold it up, get a pot of coffee going, hop in the shower and blow out my hair. Geordon and the kids got to sleep in a little later. Becks had kept telling me that they would be quiet and I didn't have to wake them up early, but come on, if I was getting up - so were they. Yes, I know, I'm mean.

By 6:00AM the hair & make-up team arrived and started setting up in the living room of the villa. What originally seemed like a lot of space to me very quickly started filling. Becks and her Sister arrived shortly after. I sat down for hair & make-up first because I still had to get the rest of my family together and out the door by 9:45. The make-up artist asked me what I wanted to look like and I was all "just make me look pretty" and trusted her to work her magic. Oh my gosh, I was *SO* happy with how I looked. My fine, thin, straight hair actually looked like it exisited and the make up did not move from my face all day. It was worth every cent my very generous BFF paid. The coffee started pouring and slowing the rest of my family make their presence known. Around 7:30 breakfast arrived, I popped the cork on a bottle of champagne and the Mimosas started flowing. Becks and her sister were in the chairs for hair and make-up.

Untitled Untitled Untitled

The photographer arrived around 8:30 and I helped him set up some shots of Bekah's wedding finery. I must admit I was completely charmed by this photographer. He was quick, smart, funny and completely charming. Plus he told me he needed to bring me along on every shoot and he loved my wedding morning spreadsheet, what's not to love!? I am *really* looking forward to seeing some of his pictures.

I made sure that everyone ate something and had a morning cocktail. I had forgotten to bring a curling iron to do my daughter's hair, but the make-up artist (Lane?) let me borrow one and I was able to get my girls taken care of. Next the floral arrived, but again, for some reason couldn't get to the room. I was fairly flaberghasted at the inability of people to find our hotel room, but whatever. Katie and I high-tailed it to the Wilderness Lodge Lobby and picked up the floral to go back to the room. It was BEAUTIFUL. Feathers! Becks gave me a bouquet with feathers!! I kept the feathers and brought them home.

Bridesmaid Floral

And I admit it freely, by this point I drank an extra glass of champagne. I had bought straws for us, but did I use one? Nope! And of course I spilled my drink down the front of my dress. Thank goodness there was no color to it, a quick shot with the hair dryer and my dress was as good as new. Becks seemed fairly cool and collected, if she had nerves she was hiding them well. Though I do recall yelling at her twice to sit there and let people pamper her while I did my thing. That thing being organizing everyone else and getting her out the door on time. The photographer and make-up girls said that I ran a pretty tight ship. That made my morning.

We were out the door 15 minutes early and got to take some fun pictures in the lobby before climbing into the limo to the Wedding Pavilion. And this is where I'm going to skip ahead. I posted some wedding pics earlier, but I feel like Becks should be the one to fill in the wedding if she wants to. I'll just say that it was truly the stuff dreams are made of. It was dazzling and beautiful and Disney really knows how to do it right.

Untitled Untitled

We danced, we ate, we drank, we got lei'd, and then we went back to the room for an hour nap before heading off to DHS.

Okay... so I *think* I took a nap. I can't really remember, I intended to take a nap. There may have been napping in there someplace, the day is all sort of a blur.

Untitled Untitled

Eventually we wound up at Disney's Hollywood Studios, and somehow (it was to avoid fighting kids) I ended up on the Tower of Terror. Does anyone remember this thread? I suppose we should never say never. What on earth made me think I could go on that ride? My little girl had a fight with her brother who headed off with Ian because they didn't want to wait in line for an hour and I didn't want her to have to go alone. I am a S.U.C.K.E.R.

Oh... My... God! The things that we do for our children. I sat between Geordon and Katie, holding each of their hands as tightly as my eyes were shut. We made that first drop, I came out of my seat and thought for sure that the seatbelt had broken. I had trouble getting it buckled and when I flew out of my seat I just though "that's it." I prayed that I was wrong and that it would all be ok, I squeezed their hands harder and every time it dropped I wondered if it would stop dropping again before I got too far off the seat. Up and down and up and down and up and down... the thought actually occurred to me that at least I would die at Disney. I screamed and screamed, my husband was giggling like a school girl. And than it was over, and my heart started beating again.

After that I met up with Tori (who was smart enough not to go on Tower of Terror) and Geordon and Katie went on Rockin' Roller Coaster. Tori and I did some shopping and went in search of a snack. I took some pictures. Then after discovering how many snack places close ridiculously early at DHS, we settled on a Mickey soft pretzel and some plastic cheese, with a frozen lemonade chaser from Anaheim Produce.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Geordon and Katie took some selfies and geeked out over old sound equipment.

Untitled Untitled

After Rockin' Rollercoaster we thought we would go find some dinner, but made the mistake of heading away from the Hollywood Hills area. We took a few minutes in the Walt Disney exhibit. We stopped at the Jack Sparrow sound stage and completely wasted a half an hour there. I don't think I need to go there ever again.

Untitled

We walked through Pixar Place, still searching for food without any luck. It was about 9pm and even though there were EMH that night everything was closed. No shows, no rides, no food in the backlot area that we were in. We were tired and honestly I was about to hit a major wall. Even though I had an ecv I was about done. After what seemed like forever we found the Writers Stop and bought our "dinner." It looked an awful lot like this.

I tried to eat and I was in so much pain I could not even chew so I slurped down Katie's strawberry slushie. I had really really wanted to see Fantasmic! because it's my favorite show, but i was done for the night and had to go back to the room. Tori & Katie went on to the show (slowly because they were both limping at that point too) and met up with Kirk and Ian. As I hear it they all LOVED the show and had really great seats right in the center. I was happy that they enjoyed it even if I couldn't

Untitled

Geordon and I made our way to the buses to wait in line. By the time we got there and a bus back to Wilderness Lodge came, Fantasmic was almost over. Not because it took so long to get there, but because almost every other bus passed by at least twice before a single one came for Wilderness Lodge. We had to pass on taking that first bus because it was an older model and the basket on the back of my ECV didn't fit in the lift. Seriously I thought I would cry I was so exhausted and hurting. I wondered if the kids would make it to the bus stop before we even got on. Luckily it didn't take quite as long for another bus to come and it was one of the new models so I was able to drive the ecv on without a problem.

Overall the buses weren't too bad with the ecv, I had made it out to be much worse in my head than it really was. In general people were very nice and helpful. There was even a couple of times that I tried to let other people get on the bus first but they were insistent that we loaded and not wait. I wondered if I really did look sick, I try to hide my disability for the most part. Sometimes it is easier than others. Becks had made a comment at one point that my big hat and short hair made me look like a cancer patient. I loved my hat and just decided to rock it. I was always offered the option to stay on the ecv in the bus, the buses have special seat belts if you do. It was a little scary thought and I kept feeling like the whole thing was going to tip over so I usually sat in a regular seat.

In general I felt that because Wilderness Lodge shares a bus system with Fort Wilderness that there weren't enough buses. The night that we did EMH at DHS there were some really angry people that didn't get on the bus that we were on. The reason was because there were many Fort Wilderness folks that didn't get off, then she loaded my ecv, and then she didn't actually fill the standing room of the bus and it left many people who should have gotten on behind. When we got to Fort Wilderness there were even more people left behind, and an ecv that couldn't load at all because they can only take two at a time. I heard the woman with the man in the chair arguing that this was the second bus that they hadn't been able to get on. That route really needs some reconsideration.

We finally made it back to the room about 11 or 11:30 and I completely crashed. Geordon stayed up until the kids all got home.

Becks534's picture

Speaking of things being a blur! I have so many wonderful memories of our wedding day: Carlos kissing me good-bye and keeping his eyes scrunched up tight before I drove over to the villas so he wouldn't "see me", watching my 'maids get pampered, how blue the sky was over the Wedding Pavilion, giving my grandmother my "Disney" bouquet, my tall handsome boy walking me down the aisle, seeing Carlos try not to cry when we said our vows, MY cake! It was all amazing.

I also have some not so wonderful memories that mostly involve my sister living up (down?) to her nickname of The Princess. I could elaborate but...I'm really just don't want to dwell on it. She's never, ever going to change and I still manage to love her in spite of herself.

A bit more honesty and this one is hard. I'm having a rough time looking at pictures of myself (Fear. My. Back Fat!) so I'm very touched at the compliments. Intellectually, I know I'm fat and I'm mostly okay with that. My husband adores me just as I am and tells me so damn near every day. All of that is currently at war in my head with the incredible pressure from society and the wedding industry telling me I should have done more to look a certain way and be a certain size and I should be ashamed. (Keepin' it real here folks!) I also know deep down in my bones that I wouldn't have traded that day for anything.

RobynPrincess's picture

Becks534 wrote:
Speaking of things being a blur! I have so many wonderful memories of our wedding day: Carlos kissing me good-bye and keeping his eyes scrunched up tight before I drove over to the villas so he wouldn't "see me", watching my 'maids get pampered, how blue the sky was over the Wedding Pavilion, giving my grandmother my "Disney" bouquet, my tall handsome boy walking me down the aisle, seeing Carlos try not to cry when we said our vows, MY cake! It was all amazing.

I also have some not so wonderful memories that mostly involve my sister living up (down?) to her nickname of The Princess. I could elaborate but...I'm really just don't want to dwell on it. She's never, ever going to change and I still manage to love her in spite of herself.

A bit more honesty and this one is hard. I'm having a rough time looking at pictures of myself (Fear. My. Back Fat!) so I'm very touched at the compliments. Intellectually, I know I'm fat and I'm mostly okay with that. My husband adores me just as I am and tells me so damn near every day. All of that is currently at war in my head with the incredible pressure from society and the wedding industry telling me I should have done more to look a certain way and be a certain size and I should be ashamed. (Keepin' it real here folks!) I also know deep down in my bones that I wouldn't have traded that day for anything.

Awww Becks, I do know what you mean, I had the same guilt! People kept asking me how the wedding diet was going... I had to have my dress let OUT! I struggled with that and the pressure of feeling like I *should* be losing weight but in the end I was marrying my wonderful hubby who loves me just as I am and that's all that mattered. You're not alone in feeling that way but don't dwell on it either, I personally think you looked stunning, and I'm sure your hubby did too along with everyone else at your wedding! Xxxxxxxx

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

Becks I know how you feel regarding the reflection in the mirror. All I want to know is......what and how did you feel on your wedding day? You said that Carlos adores you and in the grand scheme of things that is all that matters. You made a beautiful bride. 'Nuf said! Pss I hope that I would be able to find someone who loves and adores me the way that Carlos feels for you dear Disney friend. muchlove

JMUDukz's picture

Becks534 wrote:

I haven't had a wedding, but I feel this way about every picture I see of myself. You're not alone!! You were BEAUTIFUL in your pictures and have a man who loves you "back fat" and all!!! I hope that you are able to embrace how beautiful you are in your pictures and who cares what society thinks!!

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker

crazycatperson's picture

Becks534 wrote:

Honey, every bride is beautiful and you were no exception. Your new hubby loves you and so do your family and friends.

And remember, society is telling us we should all be severely underweight. So F&$! society.

Kristen K.'s picture

Becks534 wrote:
I'm having a rough time looking at pictures of myself (Fear. My. Back Fat!) so I'm very touched at the compliments.

Oh my gosh, Becks you are beautiful, and looked so happy and radiant all day long. Please don't be afraid of your pictures they are so lovely! You were a really really beautiful bride. I really want to see the ones that Randy took, I'm sure that they are magnificent.

finngirl's picture

Kristen K. wrote:
Becks534 wrote:
I'm having a rough time looking at pictures of myself (Fear. My. Back Fat!) so I'm very touched at the compliments.

Oh my gosh, Becks you are beautiful, and looked so happy and radiant all day long. Please don't be afraid of your pictures they are so lovely! You were a really really beautiful bride. I really want to see the ones that Randy took, I'm sure that they are magnificent.

I second that! Your happiness positively beams out of the photos, and I loved your dress. The photo of you all in the monorail is one of my favourites - everyone looked so happy to be there with you. These are the people who matter, and they obviously love you very much.

Diana

Time marches on. Eventually you realize it's doing it across your face.

Kris1971's picture

Becks, don't let societal pressures get you down. We're women, which means there will always be something we don't like about ourselves (it goes with the territory), but in this case you should see what others see and that is that you were an absolutely stunning bride!

Becks534's picture

finngirl wrote:
]I second that! Your happiness positively beams out of the photos, and I loved your dress. The photo of you all in the monorail is one of my favourites - everyone looked so happy to be there with you. These are the people who matter, and they obviously love you very much.

Thank you so much, that is probably my favorite picture of the whole trip. It was hilarious, we took up one whole side of the monorail car and the family in the other section was like "What the heck just descended on our car?!" They were so sweet and the dad took pictures for us. We all got posed and then the monorail slowed down twice coming into the Magic Kingdom station so we were shrieking with laughter and trying not to fall over. I loved it!

Becks534's picture

Pictures are here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26391227@N05/

Keep checking back, I have 2 more CD's to look through!

Miss Mikki's picture

Becks, all the pictures are lovely, but I particularly like the last one. You look so lovely in your wedding dress. It brings back memories too because we got married there in July 2011.

no ticker Sad

Kristen K.'s picture

I LOVE this one!!! *hehehehe*

PreviewAttachmentSize
9160786523_cd9af5f87a_c.jpg
9160786523_cd9af5f87a_c.jpg386.48 KB
JoAnn C's picture

beauiful pictures

Becks your pictures are beautiful and you without a doubt are beautiful.

taratru's picture

Becks, you're happy. So you're beautiful. That's it. Full stop. I get it, but enjoy every second of that day and every beautiful picture of it. You deserve that!

crazycatperson's picture

What awesome photos! I love the group shots at the monorail. And is that a photo of you seeing "your" cake for the first time? And the lovely shot of the two of you through the barely open doors. Too many amazing photos to list them all.

Karlipants's picture

Those pictures are amazing! You looked so beautiful!! I actually teared up a bit browsing through your pictures. What an amazing wedding and a wonderful memory! Congratulations again Smile

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away"

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

[/url]
http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/karli-and-marks-honeymoon-pre-trip-report

http://www.facebook.com/KarliInWonderland - My Disney Facebook page with live updates while i'm in the parks!

Becks534's picture

crazycatperson wrote:
What awesome photos! I love the group shots at the monorail. And is that a photo of you seeing "your" cake for the first time? And the lovely shot of the two of you through the barely open doors. Too many amazing photos to list them all.

Yep, that was me doing the "cake face"! I absolutely adore Kristen's face in the background.

Kristen K.'s picture

Becks534 wrote:
crazycatperson wrote:
And is that a photo of you seeing "your" cake for the first time?

Yep, that was me doing the "cake face"! I absolutely adore Kristen's face in the background.

I love the cake face shot so much! It was the coolest moment and I think the photographer really captured the emotion that moment.

I'm going to try and get my last day of my time in Disney up later today. I need to go through those photos and upload stuff.

Magic Mirror's picture

I loved reading all this so much that I just read it all again! So beautiful! date

Kristen K.'s picture

Day 4 in WDW - This is Vacation

With the wedding over my crew was looking forward to one more day of our vacation. We all slept in a bit, but it was a day to be headed back to the Magic Kingdom. The kids headed off first, they played Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom and met some Princesses. Rapunzel tried to set Kirk up with Cinderella's Step Sisters. Somehow I don't think I want them as my daughters in law.

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

I think that I finally got to the park around 11 or 12. I had a 2pm Meet up with Danni and Geordon wasn't feeling great so we were taking it very slowly. Though we hadn't had any rain yet, the skies were starting to look threatening. I stopped at the Castle to take some pictures of the Dream Along with Mickey Show.

Untitled Untitled

I was pretty excited to see the show, I hadn't stopped to watch a Castle show in a very long time and this one was going along nicely. I must admit however that I was VERY creeped out by the Captain Hook costume. The partial face prosthetic was just plain weird. I'm sure that they did it so that he would look more real and have more expressions to match the other new characters with moving features, but it was really disturbing to me.

The show stopped abruptly. I think that some pyrotechnics may have misfired, I'm not really sure what happened but everything stopped. So I took a few more pictures and then headed over to the Sleepy Hollow Refreshments to meet up with Danni.

Untitled Untitled

We weren't there long before the skies opened up and the whole area flooded. We sat and talked for a while as the rain came down. Her and her traveling companion seemed to be having a great time on their trip, but they didn't have their rain ponchos and they had a fastpass for Space Mountain that the clock was ticking on. As soon as the storm let up a little bit they were off for the rest of their adventure.

Geordon and I wandered around a bit as I took more pictures. I think you can really see on my face how tired I was by this point in the trip.

After riding the People Mover we headed back to the resort. We had dinner plans with friends who live in Orlando and I needed a nap. We hopped a boat back to the hotel. I absolutely adored being just a boat ride away from Wilderness Lodge, everyone ran back and forth on that boat several times during the trip. It's nice to feel like you can get back to a park easily.

Untitled

I found that there was a turtle nest on the beach at Wilderness Lodge near Teton Boat and Bike Rental.

Untitled

After a nap Geordon and I got ready to head back out for the night. We were having dinner at The Wave and met John and Sarah there. The food was good and atmosphere is really calming. I always forget however that there just isn't a lot that I eat on this menu. It's largely sustainable seafood, the menu is seasonal, and they use local growers for as much as possible. However I don't eat seafood, or duck, or lamb which left me with the steak. Let's just say that you could tell that steak is not what they do best. Luckily the company was amazing and I was having a fantastic time!

Everyone split an app platter

Untitled

Geordon's Lamb, which he said was AMAZING

Untitled

Whatever it was John was eating...LOL

Untitled

My hands were not working well by this point (part of my fibromyalgia) and I spilt half my drink down my dress when the glass just plain fell out of my hand as I went to take a drink. I recovered the glass fairly quickly, but I was mortified. John and Sarah are always so kind even when my fibro is making me less than sparkling company. I had narrowly escaped being completely covered in cider, oh well, I could have smelled like worse things than cider.

After entrees we headed over to Bay Lake Tower to the Top of the World Lounge for cake, cocktails and fireworks!

My girls were on their way to meet up, but Katie had gotten lost at Wilderness Lodge and couldn't get ahold of me, so Tori was on the way to rescue her. The plan was that they would get to Top of the World before fireworks but they didn't make it. Instead they watched from the Main Street Train Station because Wishes had started while they were on the boat. Eventually they made their way to the lounge to share in cake! This is the best cake, seriously decadent.

Around midnight we parted ways. The next morning would mark our return back to reality...

JoAnn C's picture

Those pictures from the Top of the World Lounge are fantastic. The cake does look good.

I agree, Hook is creepy.

Amazing pictures, Kristen! The fam photographs well, too!

Sign me up in the "Hook looks creepy" camp!

Magic Mirror's picture

I also love the Top of the World pictures!