March Madness 2014 Trip to WDW

Login to post comments
49 posts / 0 new
93boomer's picture
March Madness 2014 Trip to WDW

Whew! Time to start working on this post-trip report! I will download pictures asap.

First let me preface with a little background. My DH and I have been to WDW 24 times, 12 without our DD. She is grown up and on her own, but we have taken her with us 2 times since. We have stayed at CBR, PORS, POFQ, ASMusic, BC, and BCV. We really should become DVC members or AP as much time and money we spend at that place! LOL We started going down when our DD was 5. Did not want to carry that diaper bag around with me or the stroller. She was very independent and going to walk by herself anyway. We try to go down once a year or sometimes twice if we can afford to. We live in mtns of NC. It is about a 10.5 hr trip with good traffic.

This trip was planned last minute. Really missed the world and needed a get-away. We reserved a pkg with 5 day ph at the PORS. It really helped getting a free day in the parks with that more than 4 day plan! I always do the planning and scheduling things, etc. on our trips. My DH is really good about doing anything I pick. I started doing some planning by taking some advice from King Fergus and ordering the Passporter guide. I wish I had had one of these babies when we first starting going to wdw. That book is fantastic! It gave me lots of room to write down my thoughts and things to do next trip. I always used to write a journal each day, but when you have been to the park all day, sometimes the last thing you want to do is sit and write an hour. I really like this guide.

Little did I know when I planned this little trip, that it would be a blessing. Two weeks before our trip March 17-22, our state got a horrific snow and ice event. My DH works for a utility, so he had to go out of town for a week. The good thing was that he got to see our DD while in the piedmont of the state. But, he did pick up a cold bug! When he returned, he was really worn out. Not sleeping well, very bad cough, just needed a vacation! Points for me!!! I couldn't have planned a better time to escape! LOL

We headed down on Sunday, March 16. The trip was good and the weather cooperated. We arrived at PORS around 4 so our room was ready for us. We were in Alligator Bayou, Bldg 39, and room 3922 which is on the first floor. We had a lovely garden view room. We unloaded the car and headed to DD for the ST. Patrick's Day celebration going on over there. There were tons of people there! I am guessing a lot were locals since it was the weekend. Hardly room to walk. We checked out the World of Disney store, my favorite. We walked over to Raglan Road where some good Irish music was happening. It really got us in the celebration mode. We picked up an Irish Killian and walked around. Started getting a bit tired around 10 and rode the boat back to PORS. Being up since 4 am was hitting hard. Time to turn in!

First day in the parks coming up tomorrow!! yay

King Fergus

93boomer wrote:
Whew! Time to start working on this post-trip report! I will download pictures asap.

First let me preface with a little background. My DH and I have been to WDW 24 times, 12 without our DD. She is grown up and on her own, but we have taken her with us 2 times since. We have stayed at CBR, PORS, POFQ, ASMusic, BC, and BCV. We really should become DVC members or AP as much time and money we spend at that place! LOL We started going down when our DD was 5. Did not want to carry that diaper bag around with me or the stroller. She was very independent and going to walk by herself anyway. We try to go down once a year or sometimes twice if we can afford to. We live in mtns of NC. It is about a 10.5 hr trip with good traffic.

This trip was planned last minute. Really missed the world and needed a get-away. We reserved a pkg with 5 day ph at the PORS. It really helped getting a free day in the parks with that more than 4 day plan! I always do the planning and scheduling things, etc. on our trips. My DH is really good about doing anything I pick. I started doing some planning by taking some advice from King Fergus and ordering the Passporter guide. I wish I had had one of these babies when we first starting going to wdw. That book is fantastic! It gave me lots of room to write down my thoughts and things to do next trip. I always used to write a journal each day, but when you have been to the park all day, sometimes the last thing you want to do is sit and write an hour. I really like this guide.

Little did I know when I planned this little trip, that it would be a blessing. Two weeks before our trip March 17-22, our state got a horrific snow and ice event. My DH works for a utility, so he had to go out of town for a week. The good thing was that he got to see our DD while in the piedmont of the state. But, he did pick up a cold bug! When he returned, he was really worn out. Not sleeping well, very bad cough, just needed a vacation! Points for me!!! I couldn't have planned a better time to escape! LOL

We headed down on Sunday, March 16. The trip was good and the weather cooperated. We arrived at PORS around 4 so our room was ready for us. We were in Alligator Bayou, Bldg 39, and room 3922 which is on the first floor. We had a lovely garden view room. We unloaded the car and headed to DD for the ST. Patrick's Day celebration going on over there. There were tons of people there! I am guessing a lot were locals since it was the weekend. Hardly room to walk. We checked out the World of Disney store, my favorite. We walked over to Raglan Road where some good Irish music was happening. It really got us in the celebration mode. We picked up an Irish Killian and walked around. Started getting a bit tired around 10 and rode the boat back to PORS. Being up since 4 am was hitting hard. Time to turn in!

First day in the parks coming up tomorrow!! yay

Yay...Looking forward to your magic report..Glad you enjoyed the Passporter's book..

Allie's picture

Yay for another trip report to read! Can't wait for more!

93boomer's picture

Monday, St. Patrick's Day was our first day in the parks. We got up and ate breakfast in the room. We took down the small chobani yogurts and my homemade granola to eat for breakfasts to save a little. We put on our green shirts and headed to MK. I got an email on Sunday night to test the BOG restaurant again this trip!! So, I got on my phone and selected our meals. A good surprise for our first day!!
We headed to Buzz for our first fpass+. Our car wouldn't move to the right, so that really threw off our scores. I was not happy. It was like stuck in left position the whole time. DH headed off to get on Space Mtn. before lunch. I have only done that ride once when our DD was little. No way I will do it again. Don't like dark, fast, hills, etc. eek
Time for lunch at BOG.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Croque Monsieur
Croque Monsieur2.1 MB
Quiche and salad
Quiche and salad2.08 MB
BOG
BOG2.2 MB
93boomer's picture

Lunch was sooo yummy!! Good thing we had lunch because it started to rain a bit. Headed to POC for our last fpass+. Got a little wet when that cannon went off! Oh well, it was raining hard when we got out. Needed something sweet since we didn't get dessert at BOG. Stopped by Main Street Starbucks for hot coffee and split an oreo cupcake. It was good.
Now the rain is really coming down and all parades and fireworks are cancelled for tonight according to a CM. We took a break since our jeans were soaked and headed back to the room to change. On the way back to the resort, you know how the voice says welcome home when you get there? This cute little girl told her Mom, "We aren't home, we're at Disney!" Everyone on the bus laughed.

A good thing I brought my new polka-dotted rain boots with me! But, does anyone else have a problem with the ponchos? I find mine is too short. And I am only 5'2" but the rain runs down into my boots! So, got soaked again sad I need to find a longer one next time for sure.
We decided to park hop to Epcot since there were no parades tonight at MK. Headed to the North bus stop which is closer to our room. Waited like forever! Do not know what is happening with the buses this trip. They were way over 25 mts. most days. Anyway, we got on and headed to Epcot.
Before the rain at MK. They have drained the moat. A CM said something magical was coming soon.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Cinderella's Castle
Cinderella's Castle2.52 MB
93boomer's picture

So, we get to Epcot and the crowds really disappear when it is pouring! It is raining too hard to do any outdoor rides like TT so we just wander around until dinner. We choose Sunshine Terrace. I like the selections there. DH got the Mongolian beef with rice which he really liked. I got the cashew chicken with noodles. It is a bit spicy but not like DH's. His has these little red peppers that will blow your socks off. They are extremely hot!

Calling it a night after rain is not stopping any time soon. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and dry and warm clapping

PreviewAttachmentSize
Mongolian Beef and rice
Mongolian Beef and rice2.05 MB
Cashew chicken and noodles
Cashew chicken and noodles1.93 MB
MandaLynn's picture

Those pictures of Mongolian Beef and Cashew Chicken are getting my stomach growling!! Looks delicious and so glad to hear that you made the best of the day even though it was raining mickey

h0ney227's picture

Great report so far. Smile lunch looks amazing! And I got soaked when that cannon went off too! Lol it never happened before this trip.

Great report, looking forward to reading the rest. The castle looks sad without the moat. I know they are expanding all round that area but I like the water, it's pretty and fairly calming.

RobynPrincess's picture

Oh how I remember the rain that day Wink we were in Epcot and it was COLD. Looking forward to reading more Smile

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

King Fergus

Please...Please...Stop posting photos.. gaah ...I remember getting that Mongolian beef..Awesome....Keep them coming Boomer..

jhugo's picture

Keep the report coming. I love the trip reports since I get amazing ideas on food and plans from them.

Loving the trip report awesome

93boomer's picture

Thanks for all the positive feedback!! I love the food down there, so there are going to be more food pix ahead! LOL

93boomer wrote:
Thanks for all the positive feedback!! I love the food down there, so there are going to be more food pix ahead! LOL

I need to take more pics of food ..the last trip i didn't hardly take any

93boomer's picture

RobNLyn2 wrote:
93boomer wrote:

I need to take more pics of food ..the last trip i didn't hardly take any

I know! Why don't we do that more? It is fun to look back and remember all that good food! I still forgot sometimes if we were really hungry!! LOL

93boomer's picture

Tuesday was a very pretty day! The skies were bright blue and it was going to get warm. Yay!!! This is why we came down here from the cold weather!!

Wow! It was so nice to actually wear short sleeves and no coats!! I love warm weather. I live in a place with four seasons, but I don't really like all the cold weather. I could live where it is warm all the time!

We did DHS fpass+ today. Star Tours is our favorite ride. DH does love RnRC but I don't do that one. TSM is very fun too. We grabbed coffee at the kiosk outside the TofT shop. I got the chai latte which was one of the best I have ever had. Yummy! I want one now!

We park-hopped to Epcot because it was lunchtime, and we craved sushi!! Forgot to take a picture of it. We were a little ravenous!! We got the California roll and iced green teas. Delish! We wanted something sweet, so we walked over to Norway. The bakery there is never a disappointment. I suggested the school bread (I have heard it was wonderful) and DH picked a cream horn. Both were so good! School bread is definitely a repeat every trip now!!

Walked around and really enjoyed all the beautiful flowers and landscaping. The F&G show is one of our favorites. I love all the topiaries. I will pick a few and include them on here. The butterfly house is cute and good for children too. The butterflies like to land on you.

Stopped by Germany for a beer. It is getting nice and warm and in the 70s so we need something cold. I always get the grapefruit one which is crisp and doesn't really taste like beer but nice and refreshing. DH got the altenmunster draft (sp) He really liked it.

Picked up fish and chips for dinner. We had nowhere to eat so we walked around the shops towards where the British band plays and found some steps. It was nice and quiet there! There are so many people over here. There is not a lot of personal space walking tonight. Nice to find these quiet spots!

A very good day at the parks. The weather was very nice. The night was not bad. I did have a light hoodie to put on. A very long day, too. Time to call it a day just as Illuminations brightens the night sky.

PreviewAttachmentSize
dsc04055.jpg
dsc04055.jpg2.4 MB
dsc04066.jpg
dsc04066.jpg1.9 MB
dsc04071.jpg
dsc04071.jpg2.13 MB
dsc04100.jpg
dsc04100.jpg2.1 MB
dsc04113.jpg
dsc04113.jpg1.96 MB
dsc04139.jpg
dsc04139.jpg2.23 MB
Mrferret's picture

That coffee cart is a real "hidden" gem yay

Howdy Y'all
https://www.facebook.com/matthew.tucker1
Caution Content May be inappropriate

May/June 2016 Magic cruise to Norway
2017 Prtugal wedding adventures
2018 Alskan disney cruise ??
2019 Florida

93boomer's picture

Mrferret wrote:
That coffee cart is a real "hidden" gem yay

I can't believe it has taken us so long to find it. We never ride TofT but wanted to get a tshirt for our DD boyfriend last October and found it. It was a must do this trip!!

h0ney227's picture

That grapefruit beer awesome

93boomer's picture

h0ney227 wrote:
That grapefruit beer awesome

Wish I had one right now!!

Sorry guys I will get back to my trip report ASAP. It is so gorgeous out that I have spent the last two days outside until dark!! Smile

Eeyore's picture

Great TR so far!

93boomer's picture

Eeyore wrote:
Great TR so far!

Thanks!!

93boomer's picture

Here is finally the school bread picture!

PreviewAttachmentSize
school_bread_and_cream_horn.jpg
school_bread_and_cream_horn.jpg1.93 MB
93boomer's picture

Ok let's get back to the TR. The day is Wednesday and we are going to AK. Love this park! The older I get, I think I like the quiet over there. We had fpass+ for Safari first, so we headed over there. All the animals were out, and we got great pictures. The weather was nice and warm too.

PreviewAttachmentSize
dsc04204.jpg
dsc04204.jpg2.15 MB
dsc04226.jpg
dsc04226.jpg2.08 MB
93boomer's picture

Time for a snack. We picked up a cinnamon twist at Joffrey's. It was warm and yummy! Now, off to catch the train to see the animals and the petting zoo. They really do take good care of the animals over there.

DH rode his favorite ride at WDW--Everest.

PreviewAttachmentSize
dsc04236.jpg
dsc04236.jpg1.96 MB
93boomer's picture

Time for our lunch reservation at Sanaa. We hopped on the AKL bus and got off at Kidani Village. We hadn't seen this new part of AKL before now. It is gorgeous!! Know where I want my next "dream vacation" to be! We arrived a little early and given one of those beepers to wait. We waited about 5-8 mts. Our server came and took us to our table. We were hoping for one of the window tables, but we were right across from a big window so we could still see the Savannah.

Ooh what to eat? We had to try the Indian style breads with dips. So, we chose the 3 breads with 3 dips selection. We had original naan, garlic naan, and spicy naan with tamarind chutney, cucumber raita, and mango chutney. I chose the tandoori chicken open-faced sandwich with minted greens, cuke, tomato, and onion. My DH chose the grilled lamb kefta open-faced sandwich with minted greens, cuke, tomate, and onion. We sat back and enjoyed this very nice and quiet restaurant and watched the animals outside.

Our bread service came. Talk about amazing!! I think my DH could have eaten it and nothing else. The garlic naan was my favorite. The spicy naan was very good with bits of red pepper flakes on it. It was called spicy for a reason! I think my favorite dip was the tamarind chutney. It was sooo good! Then, our food came. The sandwiches are huge, but that is ok, we were hungry. The sandwiches are really good. Just a perfect lunch!! This place has been added to our "must do" list from now on!

PreviewAttachmentSize
dsc04259.jpg
dsc04259.jpg2.17 MB
dsc04260.jpg
dsc04260.jpg1.99 MB
dsc04261.jpg
dsc04261.jpg2.2 MB
dsc04266.jpg
dsc04266.jpg2.05 MB
93boomer's picture

Ok the rest of the day was pretty awesome. Warm temps--felt so good after being such a long winter.
We ate some good food that day. We parkhopped over to MK so we could enjoy some time over there. Ate nachos at Pecos Bill. Very good nachos!! Staying late tonight. Tomorrow is another day!!

PreviewAttachmentSize
dsc04313.jpg
dsc04313.jpg1.98 MB
dsc04329.jpg
dsc04329.jpg1.97 MB
Allie's picture

Holy cow does that Sanaa lunch look yummy! awesome

Love love love the bread service, ate at both there and Jiko and I think Sanaa is by far better. Neither of us liked Jiko. Your trip report is great, really enjoying reading it and I agree about AK it has a sense of peace about it that I like as I get older. I am just worried that may go with the building of the blue land!

93boomer's picture

Allie wrote:
Holy cow does that Sanaa lunch look yummy! awesome

Ohh Allie, it was!! laugh