JoAnn's October 2014 Solo Trip - Let the trip report begin

Login to post comments
164 posts / 0 new
SpamGoddess's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I am home. I guess I can take off my Magic Band now. I will work on my trip report this week.

I don't always care for things on my wrist so I was fairly eager to take my Magic Band off, but sometimes I miss wearing it and check my wrist for it. laugh

Can't wait for your TR!

EmFord's picture

JoAnn C wrote:
I am home. I guess I can take off my Magic Band now. I will work on my trip report this week.

Finally catching up on your travels Smile I didn't want to take mine off either. It became a part of me during our trip

JoAnn C's picture

I'm finally getting around to starting my trip report.

This may have been my 8th trip to the World but I experienced a lot of firsts this time around.

Friday 10/17

I got up early to head to the airport for a 7:30 flight to MCO. My flight was uneventful. We landed about 20 early. I got on the Magical Express and was off to All-Star Sports. My room wasn't ready when I arrived so I dropped off my carry-on bag and hopped on a bus to Epcot to start eating around the world.

Lunch today was in Mexico, China and Craft Beer.

Mexico:
Rib Eye Beef Taco and Sangria " I was disappointed with the taco. The topping had a bit of a kick to it but the beef had no flavor.

China:
Mongolian Beef in a steamed bun and chicken pot stickers. I was pleased with both of these choices.

Craft Beer:
Muffuletta pinwheels with house-made pickles. I am a big fan of muffuletas from Central Grocery in New Orleans and these were a good alternative. I loved the pickles.

After lunch it was time to head to Finding Nemo (it has become my traditional first ride in the World), followed by Turtle Talk with Crush (totally awesome Dude) and Living with the Land.

I got a text my room was ready to I headed back to All Star Sports. I picked up my carry-on bag and found my room. I had a king size bed.

Dinner tonight was at Garden Grill. I had booked the Eat to the Beat dining package. I was to get a pass for the 8:00 Night Ranger show. I found out I couldn't use the Tables in Wonderland card with the package. I asked if I could get the discount and not the get the pass which they were able to do. I figured I would take my chances on getting a seat at the concert and if all else failed, I would stand at the back of the theater and listen from there. I enjoyed my meal at Garden Grill. I would eat there again. I love how the restaurant rotated. I didn't feel it move.

Garden Grill is served family style " beef, turkey and fish with mashed potatoes, stuffing and veggies. Since I don't eat fish, I asked if they can leave it off the platter (no sense in letting it go to waste).

After dinner I headed back to WS for the 6:45 Night Ranger show. I had a great seat. I quickly realized that I really only knew one of their songs (Sister Christian).

When the concert was over, it was time to go back to the resort. I was exhausted and in bed by 9:30.

Today's first:
* First (and definitely not last) solo trip to WDW
* First time staying at All-Star Sports
* First time seeing Turtle Talk with Crush
* First time eating at Garden Grill
* First Eat to the Beat Concert

EmFord's picture

Aw we were in Epcot that night too! Love your report so far.. Can we all just go back now?! laugh

RobynPrincess's picture

YAY! your TR has started Laughing out loud Glad to hear GG is turning again, last I read it had stopped. We didn't make it to the seas at all this trip Sad

Our Very Merry 24 nighter Nov/Dec 15
Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
The OMG trip June 14 30th Birthday present from the hubs
Girly trip March 14 A last min cheapy week
September 13 our first all DVC stay
TR May 2013 the last min bargain trip offsite
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite
TR on a budget May - June 2011offsite condo
TR Sept - Oct 2010 big family trip in an offsite villa

JoAnn C's picture

Day 2:

Saturday, October 18

Today I had breakfast at End Zone Food Court and then headed to Animal Kingdom. I got there right as the park was opening but the lines weren't too bad. As I was going through bag check, I noticed the woman on the other side of the table from me had a size sticker left on her new top. I caught up with her to let her know to save her from embarrassment as the sticker was let's just say "strategically placed".

After doing my good deed for the day, I was off to Expedition Everest.

I considered another ride on EE but decided to move on to Dinosaur. I then stopped to watch the monkeys.

As I walked to see the Festival of the Lion King, I took my time and really looked around the park.

I finally made my way to the FotLK. I love the show.

After the show, I had a Dole Whip with coconut rum (where have you been all my life??) before a walk through the Pangani Forest.

It was nearing lunch time so I headed to Flame Tree BBQ. I had the turkey sandwich which was really good.

After lunch I went to Flights of Wonder which I hadn't seen since my first trip to Animal Kingdom in 2010.

After the show it was time for my FP to Safari before going back to the resort to relax a little before getting ready for dinner.

Dinner tonight was at 1900 Park Fare. I had eaten here for breakfast before, but this was my first dinner experience. I got to Magic Kingdom and had time to take a quick walk through Main Street.

Dinner was good. Nothing in particular stood out. It wasn't the food I was there for it was the characters.
Prince Charming saw my dessert plate and asked why I didn't have any gummy bears. They are his favorite. Who knew?

Cinderella came next. She wasn't very talkative. She was followed by Lady Tramaine and the step sisters. When Lady Tramaine got to my table she said "and here you thought you were going to have a nice quiet dinner." I said "it wasn't bad until your daughters got here" or something like that. She said "I live with it every day". They were awesome.

After dinner I walked over to Mintzers Lounge to see if Skunk, his wife and their friends were still there. I got there at the right time. They were about to leave. We took the monorail over to the Wave for drinks followed by drinks at the Top of the World Lounge. We had a really nice visit and I hope to meet up with them again.
We watched Wishes and called it a night.

I took the monorail back to MK. It was packed when I got on. After we stopped at TTC, it looked like this. A couple people got on after I took the pic.

MK was open until midnight with EMH until 2. I wondered around a bit, riding Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and the People Mover. I lasted until midnight before calling it night.

Today's firsts:

* First time eating at End Zone Food Court
* Dole Whip with coconut rum
* Eating at Flame Tree BBQ
* First visit to the Wave
* First visit to Top of the World Lounge
* First ride on Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

Loving the report JoAnn but the picture you say are monkeys are not they are Siamangs part of the gibbon family and one of my favourite animals there. It is a family with Dad and then twins, Mum is around but often kept in the back enclosure as she has been aggressive to the twins. It is quite rare for them to have twins and they will stay as a group until the girls show signs of wanting to leave the group. Interestingly they don't like water and cannot swim and don't like crossing water (unless they have too) hence the island. Sorry as you can tell love them!

RobynPrincess's picture

Ahhhh such a fun day! I've never watched flights of wonder, is it worth watching? I love animals but I wouldn't say birds are up there in my favourites

Watson's go West May 15
The one with all the birthdays Oct 14 4 Big Birthdays and a Vow Renewal thrown in
Oct 2012 TR with a cruise!big family trip featuring the beach club, AKL, the dream and a villa offsite

JoAnn C's picture

It has a corny back story but I enjoy it. You should try it.

JoAnn C's picture

Sally-Ann wrote:
Loving the report JoAnn but the picture you say are monkeys are not they are Siamangs part of the gibbon family and one of my favourite animals there. It is a family with Dad and then twins, Mum is around but often kept in the back enclosure as she has been aggressive to the twins. It is quite rare for them to have twins and they will stay as a group until the girls show signs of wanting to leave the group. Interestingly they don't like water and cannot swim and don't like crossing water (unless they have too) hence the island. Sorry as you can tell love them!

No need to apologize. I am not sure I knew exactly what they are. Cool information.

Skunk's picture

It was a fun evening JoAnn! A pic of us at Top of the World Lounge:

RobynPrincess's picture

Awww skunk, your pic isn't working for me Sad

Watson's go West May 15

Skunk's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
Awww skunk, your pic isn't working for me Sad

Can you see it now?

RobynPrincess's picture

Yes I can! It's gorgeous Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

disneydoc's picture

I love Flights of Wonder, and I am always up for corney (Jungle Cruise anyone?)

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker DIStickers.com Ticker

RobynPrincess's picture

Yeah I do love a corny too, jungle cruise is a favourite of mine! So maybe I'll have to give it a go on our next trip... We were planning on doing it this trip...but y'know Wink

Watson's go West May 15

JoAnn C's picture

Day 3
Sunday, October 19

I had a quick breakfast in the End Zone Food Court before heading to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

First stop today was Star Tours. After Star Tours I wondered over to the Writer's Stop. I love looking around in there. I bought a cookie. It was kind of disappointing.

I was excited to check out Wandering Oaken's Trading Post and Frozen snow ground. I walked on the "snow" and looked around the gift shop.

I had some time before the start of my FP for the Frozen Sing Along, so I stopped by to see the Monsters' Inc characters. I loved the signs posted.

After the meet and greet, I got in the FP line for the sing along. I managed to score a seat in the front row on the left side of the stage. It was only two seats. I told the family that came in after me that the other seat was available if one of their daughters wanted to sit there. I could have been nice and offered to trade seats with the other daughter but hey, it's all about me this trip. LOL

As people with fast passes were entering the theater (which I didn't know even existed) they were complaining that they were letting the people in standby in at the same time. The CMs just kept saying "Fast passes guarantees you seat. Standby does not". I'm sure they were tired of hearing the complaints. Some people are just never happy. Before the show started they were making the usual announcements about photography and videotaping. The one announcement that stuck in my head was "please be considerate of those around you while using your smart devises."

The show was a lot of fun. I warned the girl who sat next to me that I can't sing. The little girl behind us was really belting out the songs.

I am really going to miss seeing the Osborne Lights this year. If I didn't go last month, I would be there right now.

I left DHS and took the boat to Epcot to meet Stacy (kywildcatchick) and her husband in France. We had a glass of wine from the wine store which I had never stopped in before. We visited for about an hour before I had to head back for my next FP (Toy Story) and ADR (Mama Melrose).

I had booked the Fantasmic Dining Package for Mama Melrose. Since I couldn't use TiW at Garden Grill for the Eat to the Beat package, I asked about it when I checked in. As I suspected, I couldn't use it with Fantasmic either. I asked if I could forego the package to get the discount which they granted.

For dinner I had the mixed green salad and chicken parmesan. Both were really good.

After dinner I went to Muppets 3D and One Man's Dream. Love both of those.

I decided to head in early for the night as I had to be at MK at 7:45 for the Mercaline to MK tour. When I got back to All Star Sports, I stopped in the food court and picked up a cinnamon roll for breakfast next morning.

I downloaded my pictures and got online for a bit. At 9:30 there was a knock at my door. I first thought someone had the wrong room. It was a CM with flowers for me from my friends.

Today's firsts:

* Pictures with Monsters' Inc characters
* Making a purchase at Writer's Stop. I always go in and look around but have never bought anything
* Seeing a show in the theater (not sure what it is called) where Frozen Sing Along took place.
* Frozen Sing Along
* Visiting the wine shop in France
* Dinner at Mama Melrose
* Delivery by Disney Florists

JoAnn C's picture

Day 4
Monday, October 20

I was up bright and early today to be at MK for the Mercaline to Magic Kingdom tour. I had breakfast in my room and at the bus stop a little before 7:00. I got to MK and had to wait a bit before they started letting people in for tours and early ADRs.

I got checked in for the tour and waited for Robyn, Sy and their parents to arrive. Robyn introduced me to everyone but I felt like I had known them all my life.

I really enjoyed the tour. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. We went on the Haunted Mansion. As we went through the ride he pointed things out. I was disappointed that we didn't go behind the scenes. I don't know if they changed that part of the tour or just a different version that our guide did. After HM, we went on Winnie the Pooh and Carousel of Progress. A few shots from the tour.

A very empty Liberty Square.

After the tour Robyn, Sy, their parents and I headed to Be Our Guest to see if we can get in prior to our fast past times. I asked one guy and was told no. Robyn asked someone else and was told yes. Score. We were starving by this point. We got checked in and had a nice lunch together. I had the croquet monsieur which I liked. I didn't get dessert as I wanted to get dessert some place I hadn't eaten before.

After lunch we parted ways. It was time to start my fast pass plus trifecta - Peter Pan's flight, meet and greet with Anna & Elsa and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I sent the pictures of Anna and Elsa to my co-workers to show their kids. Now their kids what to go to WDW. I simply said "you're welcome" Smile

In between my fast passes for Peter Pan and the meet and greet I went to Big Top Souvenirs for a snack. It was mint brownie.

This was my only opportunity to see the Festival of Fantasy parade. My fast pass for 7DMT was from 3:00 - 4:00. I was so excited to ride it I forgot the parade started at the same time. Oh well, next time.

Back to the resort to freshen up and head to dinner at the Turf Club.

I had the Three Minutes to Post Time to drink.

This salad was one of the best I have had.

For dinner, I had the prime rib.

For dessert, I had the chocolate espresso tort.

I would go there just for the salad and dessert.

With a very full belly I went back to the resort to pack. Tomorrow I move to Port Orleans Riverside.

Today's firsts:

* Park tour
* Lunch at Be Our Guest (I've only had dinner there before)
* Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
* Snack at Big Top Souvenir
* Dinner at Turf Club

RobynPrincess's picture

It was so much fun doing the tour and having lunch with you, I felt like we had known you forever too! Laughing out loud

Watson's go West May 15

Spook's picture

We had the same tour guide when we did the Behind the Steam Trains tour last year. He was very knowledgeable about them too awesome

MrHub's picture

JoAnn C wrote:

Back to the resort to freshen up and head to dinner at the Turf Club.

I had the Three Minutes to Post Time to drink.

This salad was one of the best I have had.

For dinner, I had the prime rib.

For dessert, I had the chocolate espresso tort.

I would go there just for the salad and dessert.

Thats the exact meal I get there (except I get a Rye Manhattan). Thats awesome isn't it! TR is great!

I love that salad so much that it the salad we make most often at home now. And that dessert is my number 1 favorite in all of Disney World. I am really enjoying your trip report! I have been trying to avoid trip reports because I did not want to see the Christmas decorations till we get there in two weeks but I just had to take a peek. Now I want to read them all.

JoAnn C's picture

Thanks mrhub and scrappy. I can really go for that salad right now.

I forgot to mention one thing while I was at MK on the 20th. I had some time in between fast passes so I went on It's a Small World. It was a short wait and I was in line for the front row. There was an Asian family behind me. When we started to board the little boys jumped in the front seat. The dad picked up the one boy and moved him to their seat. The mom made no attempt to get the other boy. I got in and then the dad put the other boy back in the front seat beside me. The boys kept standing up on the ride. I kept turning around to look at the parents. Dad was pretty good at getting the one to sit down. Mom paid absolutely no attention to the other one. At one point I turned to look at her and her eyes were closed. I get that the boys were really excited but that just wasn't cool.

To go with the theme of the trip, that was a first.

JanJ's picture

I had that salad at the Turf Club too and loved it!

That's too bad about not going behind the scenes of the HM ride. I hope they haven't changed that for all the tours now as we are signed up to do that one again in January.

Great TR - sounds (and looks) like you had a blast going solo! And you had several WDWFG meet ups - that's amazing. awesome

Allie's picture

I'm craving a Dole Whip with coconut rum now! Mine wasn't very strong either so I probably could have been convinced to have two...or three...

Robyn, I actually really like Flights of Wonder and I'm pretty scared of birds. I won't walk through the bird section on Maharajah but I'll sit and enjoy Flights of Wonder...with a Dole Whip and coconut rum...

Turf Club looks incredible! Now I need to try and find a place to squeeze it in our next trip...

JoAnn C's picture

Day 5
Tuesday, October 21

After getting ready and having breakfast, I dropped my suitcase off at luggage services to be delivered to Port Orleans Riverside. I took a few pictures of the resort.

This is the building I stayed in which was perfect since I love football.

I then picked up my tote bag and flowers and got a taxi to POR. The room I was originally assigned to in the Mansion section wasn't ready so they gave me a room in Alligator Bayou. The room was beautiful. I saw in awe of my room for a while.

I had originally planned on going to DHS but decided to just relax before the Halloween party. I didn't think to put my bathing suit in my tote bag so I couldn't go to the pool. I decided to go to Downtown Disney for lunch. I got to Paradiso 37 a little before noon without an ADR. I had no problem getting a seat. Bacon and pineapple burger and a sangria margarita swirl to drink. Both were good and hit the spot.

After lunch I took a few pictures of the DTD construction and then took the boat back to POR.

I picked up my suitcase and hung up my clothes for the rest of the week. I had an on-going debate whether or not to dress up for the party. I was going to wear my Hines Ward shirt and go as a Pittsburgh Steeler. Today was the most humid day of my entire vacation. I decided to just wear shorts and t-shirt and go as a tourist.

I took a nap before going to MK. I got there around 5:00. As the bus approached MK, I saw a family walking over from the Contemporary. The mom was dressed as Olaf, the daughters as Anna and Elsa and dad Sven. Dad didn't look happy. People standing next to me on the bus noticed too and said something. I said something like "you mean Sven?" We all just laughed. Then a guy behind me on the bus said "are you talking about the reindeer?" We laughed even harder. I think all the adults on the bus noticed.

I reviewed the party schedule and planned my attack. I made some fast passes before I left. One was for PoC. It was down when I got there. I was given a list of rides I can use the FP for so I opted for Haunted Mansion. Before I left Adventure Land, I went on the Jungle Cruise.

I wanted to get something to eat before the party started. I checked out Columbia Harbor House but nothing appealed to me there. I went to Pecos Bill for a taco salad. I wanted to stay in the area to be close to The Diamond Horseshoe where for the Villain's Dance Party was starting at 7:00.

Now for the party....

The dance party was a lot of fun. Governor Radcliff has some moves.

I stayed for about 30 minutes and went to explore the party more. I caught some of the villain's show in front of the castle.

I made my way to Tomorrowland and danced some more with the Monsters' Inc characters.

I went on a couple of rides and found a place in Fantasyland to watch the fireworks.

After the fireworks, I found a place in front of Liberty Tree Tavern to watch the second Boo to You Parade. I couldn't get a lot of good pictures. A lady who was standing next to me kept leaning over to get pictures blocking my view.

The headless horseman

I rode a couple more rides (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Pirates of the Caribbean) and called it a night.

Today's firsts:

* Changing resorts
* Staying in a moderate resort
* Staying at Port Orleans Riverside
* Lunch at Paradiso 37
* MNSSHP

Allie's picture

Ok, Paradiso 37 looks amazing! But that constructions looks completely awful sarcastic

Kristen K.'s picture

What a fun trip report, thank you so much for sharing!
That sangria margarita swirl looks so yummy.

RobynPrincess's picture

We watched the first villains show, from your picture we were right at the front but off to the right hand side a little bit. We were also just round the corner from you watching the parade! Such a shame to be so close that night but didn't cross over. Your lunch looks particularly yummy, swap out that burger for a chicken breast and I'll be happy Wink
How did you enjoy the party? We had a great time, obviously mil dragged it down a bit but we sure made the best of it! Did you do any trick or treating?

Watson's go West May 15

JoAnn C's picture

RobynPrincess wrote:
How did you enjoy the party? We had a great time, obviously mil dragged it down a bit but we sure made the best of it! Did you do any trick or treating?

I loved the halloween party. I did some trick or treating. I didn't get a ton of candy.